New and trying to figure it out

synful1
synful1 Posts: 1 Member
I had a thyroidectomy in 10/2013 and ended up in a coma from complications. My parathyroid glands finally "woke up" a few months later. In the past year I have gained almost 100 pounds. My meds for my thyroid have my levels in the high end of normal. Now I am trying to lose weight. I am very discouraged at this time. It was hard to lose weight before the surgery now it seems almost impossible. I was already 60 pounds overweight before the surgery. In addition, I have spinal degeneration in my lower back so it is hard to do a lot of exercises. I am also recovering from surgery from having breast cancer. In the past I have done weight watchers and right now I am combining that with myfitnesspal. Any suggestions at all for food and recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• acquilla30
    acquilla30 Posts: 147 Member
    edited July 2019
    HW: 230
    GW: 120
    CW: 132
    I feel your pain!! I used to be hyperthyroid until my thyroid was destroyed with radiation. I than became hypothyroid, gained 60lbs in two months, and that led to gall stones and very painful gallbladder attacks.
    Losing weight for me has been a struggle; especially as time goes on. I first lost weight through portion control (95 pound loss and eating about 1200 cal) and kept it off for a few years until weight started sneaking on at 1600-1800 calories when I was in maintenance.

What works for me is exercise and eating at or below 1000 calories. The weight is coming off slowww; I lost only 25 pounds this past year. Don’t give up, you have to find your calorie sweet point and that may take a month or two to figure out. I also eat a low fat highish carb diet.
    If I can help or you have questions feel free to message me.