PiYo Fusion Week 1

Options
ATyghter
ATyghter Posts: 44 Member
THE TIME HAS COMMMEEEE!

If you haven't started PiYo yet, I am so excited for you to give it a try.

This is the week your workouts will start to pick up a bit because if you haven't already added PiYo, it will now become your second workout. Remember, the schedule provided in your workouts was designed to be as effective as possible to create optimal flexibility and strength conditioning at the same time. However, your workout schedule will determine the workouts that are best for you each day.

Here's what I mean: I do PiYo at the end of my day after all of my workouts for the day are complete. I choose my PiYo workout based on the body part I am focusing on for the day (I like to work my muscles to absolute fatigue). Some people like to make all of their workouts total body so I would suggest picking the PiYo program that works the muscle group you feel you worked the least or perhaps one you forgot to target for the day. Either way, the choice is yours. Remember, our group is about adding this to your existing program to produce maximum results.

I want you to re-take your progress photos. It's been 4 weeks so check and see what progress you've made so far. This will also be your starting point for the challenge.

So without further ado, here are this week's challenges:

This week's challenges are as follows:

1) Mind - Pay it forward! How did you get started on your journey? Who helped you? Now it's your turn to help someone else start, continue or re-start on their path to fitness and health. It's not always easy to motivate others but by simply sharing your story, your successes and failures you are helping others. Spread the word about things that worked for you or about things that you're working to improve. Success is contagious. When people see the results you're getting from eating well and being active, they will be inspired to make changes of their own.

2) Nutrition - How did last week's juices and smoothies go? I actually gave the Beachbody 3 Day Refresh a try so I was on shakes for 3 days straight... I didn't think I was going to make it but I did. If you want to see my results, they're on my IG page http://instagram.com/nutritionista_aly. This week I want you to plan your meals for AT LEAST 1 day of this week. That means, put everything in your MyFitnessPal tracker the night before and stick to the plan you've made.

3) Fitness - Complete your regularly scheduled workout AND make sure to complete your 6 PiYo workouts (you have 1 rest day this week). For my non PiYo ladies (there's more than 1 of you), I want you to add 3 yoga workouts and 3 pilates workouts to your routine this week (YouTube has a ton of free ones).

Remember to post to the group. You have permissions to start discussion topics of your own. Remember to check back often, I am going to be posting details about a 3 Day Refresh Giveaway this week!!!

Replies

• bcmom_1980
    Options
    I've only tried Sculpt and Sweat so far. Are there Piyo vids that are closer to yoga, or is it all squats/lunges/push ups with a lot of fast moving yoga poses between? So far I'm a little disappointed. I liked Chalene's yoga segment of Chalean Extreme so thought I'd like Piyo. I don't really want to add another 30-45 minutes every day. I lift weights three times a week for 30-40 minutes, I don't want to add anything else those days. I run 30-45 minutes three times a week but in the evening, it's easier for me to sneak in a quick DVD on those days, or on my rest day. I've done Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown, Bob Harper yoga, and p90x3 yoga. All those seem a bit closer to yoga, but I'd rather listen to Chalene than Tony Horton any day of the week!

I don't know if this group is going to be right for me as well, as I'm only looking to add Piyo 2-3x a week, not 6. Am I still okay to be in this group?
  • ATyghter
    ATyghter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've only tried Sculpt and Sweat so far. Are there Piyo vids that are closer to yoga, or is it all squats/lunges/push ups with a lot of fast moving yoga poses between? So far I'm a little disappointed. I liked Chalene's yoga segment of Chalean Extreme so thought I'd like Piyo. I don't really want to add another 30-45 minutes every day. I lift weights three times a week for 30-40 minutes, I don't want to add anything else those days. I run 30-45 minutes three times a week but in the evening, it's easier for me to sneak in a quick DVD on those days, or on my rest day. I've done Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown, Bob Harper yoga, and p90x3 yoga. All those seem a bit closer to yoga, but I'd rather listen to Chalene than Tony Horton any day of the week!

I don't know if this group is going to be right for me as well, as I'm only looking to add Piyo 2-3x a week, not 6. Am I still okay to be in this group?

Try Lower Body - I find that one a pretty good mix of yoga and pilates. Lots of Sun Sals and Warrior Poses. It's completely up to you how you structure your workouts. You don't have to do PiYo everyday if it doesn't work for you. The last thing you want is to burn yourself out and stop altogether. I've set the challenges as something of a guideline. Modify and tweak to match your lifestyle. There's no pressure here... I really do mean that I'm here to help in whatever capacity I can. I don't want to stress and overwhelm any of you.

Keep working hard!
  • bcmom_1980
    Options

Try Lower Body - I find that one a pretty good mix of yoga and pilates. Lots of Sun Sals and Warrior Poses. It's completely up to you how you structure your workouts. You don't have to do PiYo everyday if it doesn't work for you. The last thing you want is to burn yourself out and stop altogether. I've set the challenges as something of a guideline. Modify and tweak to match your lifestyle. There's no pressure here... I really do mean that I'm here to help in whatever capacity I can. I don't want to stress and overwhelm any of you.

Keep working hard!

Thanks! I had been reluctant to try the lower or upper body specific vids as my upper body has been a bit sore from lifting, and I didn't want to overdo it on legs, but I will give that one a try on Thursday!
  • AWillia222
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I forgot to reply to the Week 1 discussion board/challenges, but although it's Week 2, a reflection still counts!

Thanks to my good friend Aly, she held me accountable by asking me to send her my first set of progress photos, and that alone has finally gotten me into the habit of taking them every week.
    I take them every Tuesday morning before my morning workout, and as of this morning, I took my third set of photos.
    I know not to expect HUGE visual changes right away, but have already noticed the small changes on different parts of my body including my thighs, and my lower abdominal area, that I wouln't otherwise notice if I didn't take progress photos each week.
    I am also happy that because I have started taking my progress photos, I have my 'Before' photo that I can look back on as I continue my fitness journey and loose some weight, tone, and gain some muscle definition.

Week 1 challenges:

1) Mind - Pay it forward!
    I of course have Facebook and Instagram, and from time to time post photos of some of the healthier meals I eat, photos of when I play tennis, or workout hard and am sweating buckets.
    I know that seeing photos of friends and family members getting their fitness on, whether they're attending a Latin/Salsa Congress, are on their way to the gym, or shared the fact that they tried out a new Yoga class, helps to keep me motivated.
    I know that my posts also help others simply from the feedback I've received, and most recently, from the discussions and conversations I have about fitness and nutrition with close friends and family.

2) Nutrition - How did last week's juices and smoothies go?
    I have a juicer and a blender, but sadly haven't used either in a little while.
    I only drink water in the mornings and during my day at work, but sometimes want to have juice with my dinner, which unfortunately has been store bought packaged juices/frozen concentrate juices.
    I will make an effort to get back into the habit of prepping and freezing fruits and vegetables for faster and easier jucing and smoothie making, and will avoid the packaged and frozen from concentrate juices.

I pack my breakfasts, lunches and snacks for the day 90% of the time, so I do plan my meals. However, I have yet to enter ALL of my meals, including dinner into the MyFitnessPal tracker the night before for at least 1 day.
    Will attempt to do so for Week 2!

3) Fitness - Complete your regularly scheduled workout AND make sure to complete your 6 PiYo workouts (you have 1 rest day this week).
    I am one of the non PiYo ladies, and only did 1 yoga workout last week. So although I still attended my after work fitness classes at the gym, I regretfully did not complete the 3 Yoga and 3 Pilates PiYo fitness challenge for last week.
    I will move forward and aim for a more accomplished Week 2 of incorporating Yoga and Pilates workouts :)