Monday August 4th, Day 4 Check in log - Rest Day

AllieRoyerA
AllieRoyerA Posts: 69 Member
Welcome to day 4! Today is a rest day, phew right?

I know my legs could use a day to recover!

With all of these added squats increasing, I encourage each of you to be more aware of your food choices.

Ideally, your meals should look something like this each day:

Breakfast should contain a complex carb such as steel cut oats, quinoa, sweet potato etc and a protein

Example: 1/4 steel cut oats with 2tsp (4 -5) Raw crushed almonds made with almond milk (be cautious and make sure your almond milk does not list carrageenan in the ingredients) along with 2 whole egg whites and 1 whole egg.

Note: You can add a protein powder to your oats if you do not wish to eat eggs.

A mid morning snack should contain a source of protein, such as a greek yogurt or cottage cheese with small fruit choices.

Lunch should contain again lean protein such as chicken, turkey or fish with a small amount of complex carbs - quinoa or a sweet potato and a vegetable for antioxidants and vitamins.

A great example would be a stir fry, Grilled chicken, 1/4 organic quinoa and mixed veggies such as asparagus, broccoli, carrots, green beans and cauliflower cooked with coconut oil.

After lunch, you should do your best to steer clear of carbs.

Your afternoon snack can be a healthy fat and a veggie, one of my personal favorites is 5 - 6 baby carrots dipped in some fresh avocado.

Dinner could be a tossed salad. I have become quite fond of a "tuna plate"

I take some fresh Romaine lettuce and baby spinach with a few slices of tomato, cucumber and 2 hard boiled egg whites and add 1/2 to 1 can of tuna. I do not use any mayonnaise. I substitute it with a plain greek yogurt, or some hummus.

It is very filling - and it steers clear of a high volume of carbs!

For an evening snack, you can have a shake, I will have my Shakeology or you can have some fruit :)

Because we have a rest day today, I would like to ask each of you to share 1 healthy clean eating recipe with us today.

It can be a snack, a meal or a sweet treat healthy alternative!

Replies

• JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Don't like porridge oats .I do like ready break as texture is smooth and not lumpy. Is this OK to eat? For a healthy meal I would have some cooked frozen veg and 2 vegetarian sausages for lunch. Drink water with fresh lemon juice added. I am going to do 60 squats today as part of my exercise regime :-)
  • fejiofor
    fejiofor Posts: 373 Member
    Oops just seeing this. Guess tomorrow will be my rest day then. Did 65 squats at the gym this morning thinking that's gonna be the challenge. My knees was acting crazy at first then I got on elliptical and did 20 minutes straight. The squats were pretty much easy after that.
  • Ljordan_fitflow
    Ljordan_fitflow Posts: 64 Member
    Rest day from squats. But getting a cardio workout in tonight. @Allie excellent post on nutrition.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    :flowerforyou: took a long walk with a friend today along with my long walks with my dogs:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: one of my favorite clean eating meals is half an onion sauteed in olive oil with three cups of either fresh or frozen broccoli
    then add two scrambled eggs and cook until eggs are firm
  • susanelizabeth1988
    susanelizabeth1988 Posts: 80 Member
    Ended up doing squats as part of roller derby training tonight... I don't think I'll be able to walk tomorrow!
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    I did not realize today was a rest day and ended up doing my 65. I will rest tomorrow instead. I like chicken with lettuce, cucumber and hummus. The lettuce is the wrap. Yum!
  • philly3047
    philly3047 Posts: 116 Member
    Rest day, spent all day movie hoping with the hubby. On my way home to get a 60 min power walk while he entertains himself with video games
  • DeannaTN
    DeannaTN Posts: 19 Member
    Rest day from squats but did a 5k run this evening.