Medicine issues

Options
zcb94
zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
As I hope all of you know, Metformin is a "take with food" medicine, as are a lot of my others. Therefore, a majority of my calories come from my need to "pad" my guts so as not to literally get sick of my medicine. This is very frustrating for dieting, not to mention the fact that the food that often goes so well with medicine (crackers, bread, mini-meal) is so caloric/sugary/carby! :noway: :grumble:. I'm pretty sure that's part of my current weight/sugar intake problem. May I ask what you guys do in response to "take with food" blood sugar controllers without having to feel guilty?

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Why don't you take them when you normally eat during the day? I take Meformin 3 times a day and I just take it with my breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also take Lisinopril 20mg with breakfast and Metoprolol 50mg at dinner or with my snack after dinner. Both of those are for high blood pressure. It doesn't have to be with something sugary and/or carby.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Carby foods make the GI effects from Metformin worse. I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you that. Try taking it with a lower carb meal and see if your symptoms improve.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that it doesn't have to be with a large amount of food; even something like 1/2 cup yogurt would be enough. I take my glipizide with my breakfast of coffee with 1/2 & 1/2 and oatmeal. I take the rest of my meds then too except for the omeprazole (Prilosec) which I have to take later in the day since it can slow or even prevent the absorption of the other meds.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    As I hope all of you know, Metformin is a "take with food" medicine, as are a lot of my others. Therefore, a majority of my calories come from my need to "pad" my guts so as not to literally get sick of my medicine. This is very frustrating for dieting, not to mention the fact that the food that often goes so well with medicine (crackers, bread, mini-meal) is so caloric/sugary/carby! :noway: :grumble:. I'm pretty sure that's part of my current weight/sugar intake problem. May I ask what you guys do in response to "take with food" blood sugar controllers without having to feel guilty?

Hi zcb,

Sorry to learn you're feeling I'll while taking Metformin. I'm not familiar with the term "pad" my guts.

As been suggested, taking your Met at regular mealtimes is a good approach. If you're still having uncomfortable gastric issues after taking Metformin at mealtimes, I would encourage you to contact your healthcare provider as there are other options available.

Metformin also comes in an (XR) extended release version that many people find help to eliminate or reduce gastric issues. There are also some people who don't tolerate the XR version either, and find taking Glucophage, the brand named version of Metformin helpful.

By discussing any issues your having with taking your Met with your healthcare provider will help him/her find a solution that works best for you.

Wishing you success in sorting this out.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options

Hi zcb,

Sorry to learn you're feeling I'll while taking Metformin. I'm not familiar with the term "pad" my guts.

As been suggested, taking your Met at regular mealtimes is a good approach. If you're still having uncomfortable gastric issues after taking Metformin at mealtimes, I would encourage you to contact your healthcare provider as there are other options available.

Metformin also comes in an (XR) extended release version that many people find help to eliminate or reduce gastric issues. There are also some people who don't tolerate the XR version either, and find taking Glucophage, the brand named version of Metformin helpful.

By discussing any issues your having with taking your Met with your healthcare provider will help him/her find a solution that works best for you.

Wishing you success in sorting this out.

Thanks. There's not so much illness, as guilt from having to associate food with medicine timing. I don't know if that's a healthy use of fuel, and think that the extra calories needed to take medicine are the bulk of why I'm at a loss plateau. Just wondering if anyone else feels that odd guilt, although some posters have suggested using milk/shifting use of it to meals. For instance, I just had lunch/early dinner too early for bedtime pill, so might have to snack in order to get tonight's down the hatch. :brokenheart:

Edited for detail and to add: "Padding guts"- coating the stomach and surrounding areas so that medicine doesn't bother them, sorry.