I need your advice - keto holidays?

Semifredo
Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
First of all, English is my second language ( I am Polish but live in Italy) so If I make any mistakes - don't judge me, correct me instead ;)

Last year I lost a lot of weight doing keto but then I stopped and within 10 months I gained almost 50% back. Now I am back on track and I am really motivated ( I work out 6 days a week and no cheat days - I just don't need them ) and I started losing weight successfully again.

The problem is that in 7 days I'm going to Singapore for 4/5 weeks. It happens every summer due to my fiancé's job. Last year we spent there 2 months and I gained an awful amount of weight in a very short time ( partialy because his company pays for restaurants, we have no limit so we spent that time indulging in food). This must not happen again. And won't.

Now my question is : what shall I do ? Staying in ketosis when eating always out is impossible so shall I just choose low kcal dishes instead?

I could have eggs for breakfast with some vegetables then sashimi and a soup for lunch and grilled meat/ fish in the evening ( but that's a lot of proteins! )

Let me know what you think is right for me. There is also a swimmingpool and a gym there so that should help a bit too.

Replies

• hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Oops. Edited for duh
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    ok, got off the phone & onto a proper keyboard :wink:

I think to begin to change habits, you must replace one with another. How about doing site-seeing instead of indulging in food? Or activities that will keep your body moving so you can work off some of what you've eaten.

Are you tracking your calories?
  • Semifredo
    No, I said it won't happen again and I said that there is gym and a swimming pool :) I do track my calories now but I cook at home and weigh everything. There - I can't. So I was thinking if it's a good idea to stop keto for those 4 weeks and just eat small portions of what I think is the best ( lowest kcal, lean proteins ) for me ?
  • Why is it impossible to stay in ketosis when you are traveling? I travel 8-10 days at a time pretty regularly and spend half the time in a month traveling. You just need to be creative and simplify things. If you are going to Singapore, its pretty easy to eat Keto, there is plenty of steamed sea food in Singapore. All you need to do is figure out how to get your fats, Olive Oil,Coconut oil, mayo or heavy cream? Find a starbucks and get a heavy cream latte for fats and for protein eat the sea food or meat.
  • Semifredo
    That's the whole point, keto is all about fats. I can have Starbucks once a day but then what? I have been living in Singapore and mayo and heavy cream doesn't exist there. . If it was a matter of a few days but I can't eat out and then keep mayo and coconut oil in my hotel room and eat it with a spoon straight after my meals out. And all that for a couple of weeks. Keto is great but when you trace your carbs. I can't do that there.
  • That's the whole point, keto is all about fats. I can have Starbucks once a day but then what? I have been living in Singapore and mayo and heavy cream doesn't exist there. . If it was a matter of a few days but I can't eat out and then keep mayo and coconut oil in my hotel room and eat it with a spoon straight after my meals out. And all that for a couple of weeks. Keto is great but when you trace your carbs. I can't do that there.

Tall Heavy cream latte in star bucks has 1200 calories of fat? How many more do you need? When I travel, I eat regular salads, meat, seafood with one big starbucks coffee which is anywhere between 600-1200 cals of fat. I even had a 2000 cal vent heavy cream latte on a day when I needed ton of fat. Now its a different story if you don't want to do keto when you travel.
  • Semifredo
    I even had a 2000 cal vent heavy cream latte on a day when I needed ton of fat. Now its a different story if you don't want to do keto when you travel.

Why this negative attitude? I don't want to continue keto? So why am I here asking for advice ???? Keto works and allows you to eat a lot of fat ONLY IF you keep your carbs very low. I don't have a problem with that at home where I cook myself and weigh all the products. But if I have to eat out for several weeks I'm afraid that staying on keto will do more harm because I will eat fatty foods ( impossible to track how much exactly) mixed with some carbs that are difficult to avoid for such a long time. I'm not going there alone but in a group of people and the choice of a place can't be always mine.

I'm glad that you can have a 2000kcal latte but not everybody in here is that lucky ( I have to eat too)
  • I even had a 2000 cal vent heavy cream latte on a day when I needed ton of fat. Now its a different story if you don't want to do keto when you travel.

Why this negative attitude? I don't want to continue keto? So why am I here asking for advice ???? Keto works and allows you to eat a lot of fat ONLY IF you keep your carbs very low. I don't have a problem with that at home where I cook myself and weigh all the products. But if I have to eat out for several weeks I'm afraid that staying on keto will do more harm because I will eat fatty foods ( impossible to track how much exactly) mixed with some carbs that are difficult to avoid for such a long time. I'm not going there alone but in a group of people and the choice of a place can't be always mine.

I'm glad that you can have a 2000kcal latte but not everybody in here is that lucky ( I have to eat too)

Not negative. If you go with an attitude, I can't follow this or that, chances are you won't. If you think, you can't do it, don't do it . I was trying to help you by making suggestion on eating regular food and getting your fats from some where else. When I travel, I eat out and often times in social situations where I don't chose a place. I eat regular food avoiding carbs and worry about fats through one source, often a heavy cream coffee or something else. When traveling, you need to choose between change or not doing at all. I chose to change and alter my eating and drinking habits to stay in Keto. You can choose to not making any changes and don't do Keto. Nothing wrong with either approach.
  • Semifredo
    From what I can see you have lost a lot of weight :) my question was : what's better for me trying to stay keto even though we know that it might/will be far from perfect ( so I risk gaining weight from all those fatty foods) OR healthy, low kcal meals and not worrying about my fat intake ?

Now I know that you would stay on keto. Ok.

Don't be so harsh. Not everybody in here is lazy and whines about how his/her diet doesn't work and they log EVERYTHING. It was an honest question out of curiosity.

Have a nice day :)
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    It should be easier for you to stay in ketosis if you allow more fat in your diet. You still seem to be scared of fat, so you opt for "meat/fish/eggs and veggies". Add some olive oil, butter or coconut oil, eat less meat, and there you have it! The hardest thing is the comments you get from people, but after a while you get used to it and it actually becomes a nice conversation starter.