Unexpected Side Effect

Options
JenaOnTrack74
JenaOnTrack74 Posts: 443 Member
Hi all!

Thought I'd share a really unexpected side effect to my WLS. So background I have had literally no sense of smell my entire life, my nose would be "stuffed up" 90% of the time and I have snored all my life. Weeks before surgery I was diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and put on a Cpap machine.

Almost immediately after surgery the weirdest thing happened, I could smell EVERYTHING! The good and most definately the BAD!! I am constantly telling my kids to go brush their teeth now! lol
I was discussing it with my husband last night and he said yeah and you don't snore at all anymore. WHAT?!? I've snored since I was a kid! But now that I can brethe through my nose All The Time and have lost 20 pounds in about a month yeah I guess it stands to reason I wouldn't be snoring as much but not at all???? Crazy! My surgeon didn't want me using the cpap machine for the first couple weeks after surgery and mentioned I probably wouldn't need it anymore but I thought it would be after a much larger amount of weight was gone.
But hearing I am no longer snoring but actually breathing, I don't think I will be strapping that sexy mask on anymore!! :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    That's excellent news (well, except for the bad smells.) I bet you are going to get much better quality of sleep and feel even better!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!

I have had a CPAP since 1998. It weirds me out to think of not needing it anymore!

Rob
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I've met a bunch of people that got hyper-sensitive to smells after surgery. Most are so sensitive that most things make them nauseated. Maybe because your sense of smell started off so bad, the surgery made it about average.

The consensus seems to be it's a hormonal change.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I've also snored since my teens and twenties, when I was a curvy and fit 150 pounds. I was snoring horribly at my highest weight of 350 or so and my husband worried that I was getting apnea. I'm now down 45 pounds and my husband has mentioned that it's been weeks since I've snored. I find that amazing considered I used to snore when I was half my size. Go figure. I think I sleep a lot better, also.

As to the smells, enjoy. It must be so nice to have that back. My feet are always numb and I keep hoping it will improve as the weight comes off. It hasn't yet, but I'm hopeful. All my best to you.
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've never been that stuffy for that large of a time, but the RNY surgery changed both how my wife and I smelled things. She was very sensitive to bad breath as well. We were both brushing our teeth 4 or 5 times a day for awhile. It eventually passed for her. For me, I became very sensitive to vomit and feces. I wasn't able to change my daughter's dirty diapers without getting sick! This eventually passed for me to.

So, I think it's something that is common that most people think about. It's weird how your tastes will change too, maybe because of the smell.
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm now off the CPAP as well. Did not like having to use it at all!!! Breathe in... Breathe out... enjoy.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was tested because of my massive snoring, but even at my heaviest, I did not have sleep apena (I know! Huge surprise to me too!). About 25 pounds down the husband's snoring started to bother me and keep me awake. He does have sleep apena but doesn't like to wear his CPAP. I complained about the snoring telling him to wear his machine, etc. He came back with "you only hear me now because you don't snore any more". Wow! I don't snore anymore? Bonus to WLS is I don't snore anyore but because I'm no longer drowning him out with my snoring I can hear his. :-))
  • dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!

I have had a CPAP since 1998. It weirds me out to think of not needing it anymore!

Rob

Me too, and I've had it since 2006. I'm just happy the supplimental O2 is gone, gone gone!

And hey, don't tell my wife that cpap's aren't sexy. PLEASE! :wink:
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!

Rob

Me too, and I've had it since 2006. I'm just happy the supplimental O2 is gone, gone gone!

AMEN! We guys have to put up with all of the female TMI stuff, the least you can do for us is to not ruin it with our wives! :laugh:

My wife tells me that she sleeps better with the low level hum of my CPAP. I am sure she will adjust if I get to get rid of it though!

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!

Rob

AMEN! We guys have to put up with all of the female TMI stuff, the least you can do for us is to not ruin it with our wives! :laugh:

My wife tells me that she sleeps better with the low level hum of my CPAP. I am sure she will adjust if I get to get rid of it though!

Rob

You guys are a riot! :laugh:
  • freespiritcavin
    freespiritcavin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've snored since I can remember!! My friends used to tease me when I was a kid (good teasing) but when I got together with my husband I learned it was more then snoring, I actually quit breathing! I feel like I'm sleeping better since my surgery (sleeved 6/16/14) but I'm so nervous to try and sleep without my mask, lol!! I know I should give it a try, I've just been so used to it :)
  • carlav60
    carlav60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My unexpected side effect has to do with onions. Before surgery, my eyes would tear so badly while I was cutting an onion, I couldn't see. I was cutting an onion for my husband the other day because it was burning his eyes so badly he couldn't see. Funny thing is, the onion had absolutely no affect on me! My eyes didn't burn, didn't water, nothing! Strange....