New A1C

Hi Everyone
I've been mostly-lurking here for a few months. I was diagnosed in early May with an A1C of 8.9. I had it retested yesterday and it was 6.9.

I am pretty happy with my result, I think it could have been lower but the past 2 weeks have been tough (lost a pet after a brief illness) and my eating was pretty bad (I'm back on track now but had about a week and half of overdoing the carbs). I hope to get to 6 by my next test in November. These eating changes have been tough for me, I'm a vegetarian who primarily subsisted on bread and I have a ridiculous sweet tooth, but I think I've been managing pretty well. My dietician OK'd my carbs at 50% (as long as I try to keep each meal under 45 total not including non-starchy veg).

So thank you people of the Diabetes group. My lurking has given me a lot of great info, and I hope to not be a as much of a lurker in the future. Feel free to friend me if you would like, especially interested in anyone who is vegetarian (non-veggies are fine too).

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Congrats!!!
  • NutmegPudge
    NutmegPudge Posts: 5 Member
    Forgot to include- I was on 750 mg metformin prior to my diagnosis for PCOS related lady issues, and was increased to 1500 mg when I was diagnosed. My goal is to be medication free.
  • Congratulations on making changes to your eating habits and decreasing your A1c level. That's excellent progress! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Hi NutmegPudge,

Congratulations on the (almost 30%) improvement you made!:drinker: ....Saddened to learn the tough loss of your beloved pet.
    A truly challenging and an emotional experience to be sure. I'm glad you've found viewing some of the many various topics within this group to be beneficial for you.

Wishing you the success you deserve in accomplishing your goals in the near future.