PALEO and Body Set point ( PALEOMOM )

Options
I have been researching about maintenance lately and came accross PALEO MOMS website and forum.. and read someting about Body Set Point which in short is what our body wants to weigh no matter what we do ( when we are close to goal weight ) and so changing BODY SET POINT is possible but takes some time. She was battling the same 7 lbs. up and down for months and finally decided to do something about it.. ( THIS IS EXACTLY what i am going through )

"What is a bodyweight set-point? The idea behind bodyweight set-point theory is that diet plus lifestyle factors (and genetics too) add up to a hormonal and chemical balance in your body conducive to maintaining a specific weight and body composition. Basically, your body has a weight it wants to be (regardless of what weight you want your body to be"

I never could find the follow up.. I will write to her.. she was going to incorporate SPRINTING to get this done and she http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/why-i-want-to-lower-my-bodyweight-set.html
http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/attempting-to-lower-my-bodyweight-set.html

I cant really sprint because of knee surgery, but i can SPIN... I will try it ,, maybe like more of the stair master. Also i read in other places that you have to like try and stay at at a weight for 6 months before you try to lower that set point.. ( in other words, if you lose all the way to fast at the end, you will go up... )

if you know anything about bodyset point and are at that stage where you are close to the end and trying to maintain, let me know how its going for you... after all PALEO is a lifetsyle that should help us NEVER gain weight if we follow the plan. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    You probably don't want to hear from me, I am probably not a "success" by your definitions….. but this statement is completely incorrect: "after all PALEO is a lifetsyle that should help us NEVER gain weight if we follow the plan."

Weight fluctuation happens to everyone, especially women AND if one is building muscle they will GAIN weight on the scale. A few of us have linked to examples that have clearly shown that scale weight is a poor indicator of health.

This lifestyle is about long term health. There is no specific "plan" just guidelines that require tweaking to each individual. Again. weight loss alone is NOT the measure of health. Body measurements, fat percentages, activity level, strength, mental state, attitude, happiness, and so many other things are all better measures than the SCALE.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You probably don't want to hear from me, I am probably not a "success" by your definitions….. but this statement is completely incorrect: "after all PALEO is a lifetsyle that should help us NEVER gain weight if we follow the plan."

Weight fluctuation happens to everyone, especially women AND if one is building muscle they will GAIN weight on the scale. A few of us have linked to examples that have clearly shown that scale weight is a poor indicator of health.

This lifestyle is about long term health. There is no specific "plan" just guidelines that require tweaking to each individual. Again. weight loss alone is NOT the measure of health. Body measurements, fat percentages, activity level, strength, mental state, attitude, happiness, and so many other things are all better measures than the SCALE.

you are TOTAL success. i love hearing from you... :flowerforyou: you are doing GREAT! and you look wonderful.. a true inspiration for people like me who counted calories with success but in the end FAILURE because its just to hard...

for me right now part of doing great is to keep doing whatever it takes to keep my head in the game.. so instead of just ignoring my issue and reverting to VLC..D. i am now bieng super proactive to find a better healthier way... I am still learning and i love it.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

I second this.

Be careful not to take everything that every paleo blogger says to heart. They ALL mean well, but let's face it, focusing solely on the scale is not mentally healthy, and like Akima said, health is measured in many ways (including mentally).

My personal experience:
    I've been at this weight for over a year now while eating paleo (with exceptions when I feel like it). I guess I'm at my "body-weight set point"... who knows? I've changed up my routine a few times (from CrossFit to heavy lifting mixed with yoga) and experienced some body comp changes, but no major changes on the scale (I'm always within about a 5lb range).

What is that you are hoping to accomplish? What are your goals?
  • maria_antoinette
    Options

I second this.

Be careful not to take everything that every paleo blogger says to heart. They ALL mean well, but let's face it, focusing solely on the scale is not mentally healthy, and like Akima said, health is measured in many ways (including mentally).

My personal experience:
    I've been at this weight for over a year now while eating paleo (with exceptions when I feel like it). I guess I'm at my "body-weight set point"... who knows? I've changed up my routine a few times (from CrossFit to heavy lifting mixed with yoga) and experienced some body comp changes, but no major changes on the scale (I'm always within about a 5lb range).

My goal is to adopt this NEW way of life and not ever go up in weight again without measuring everything...I am at a healthy weight...... once i have done this for a year. maybe i will be use to it and i wont have to keep weighing and logging.... for now, since in the past i always go up when i dont log or weigh.. i will do PALEO for a year and monitor it
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options

I second this.

My personal experience:

My goal is to adopt this NEW way of life and not ever go up in weight again without measuring everything...I am at a healthy weight...... once i have done this for a year. maybe i will be use to it and i wont have to keep weighing and logging.... for now, since in the past i always go up when i dont log or weigh.. i will do PALEO for a year and monitor it

Weight fluctuates. It's part of life and can happen due to hormones, stress, lack of quality sleep, poop.... you name it. The best thing to do is take the focus off of weight and put it elsewhere. Like on eating more veggies, dialing in your sleep habits, minimizing stress, playing more...etc.

Here's the thing. Let's say you go 1 month without weighing yourself. In that month, you notice that your skin is clearer, you have more energy, you sleep better, your pants fit better and your digestion is nearly perfect! Wow! What a great month, huh?! Then, you step on the scale and see that you've (GASP!) gained weight. "OMG! This last month was a total failure!"

Obviously, I am being a little sarcastic and the month was CLEARLY not a fail, but you get the idea. Stop focusing on the weight. It's pointless.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    A LONG LONG time ago I managed to get rid and maintain all the weight i had gained in highschool.. average weight was like 150/160.. and everyday that i am not THAT WEIGHT is a great day in my world.. :flowerforyou:

In my 20's I maintained 114-118 Lbs. eating around 1200 -1700 calories a day
    In my 30's I maintained 125-128 Lbs. eating around 1200 -1600 calories a day
    In my 40's I maintained 130-135 Lbs. eating around 1000 -1200 calories a day.

So as you can see the past 5 years.. less calories, more weight.. I know its because i am older and i am ok with not weighing 120 lbs. :) !!! But another thing thats been happening is that ALL OF THE SUDDEN my clothes wont fit, so i take out the scale and go through the VLCD thing and get back down to 130.. TIRED OF that creeping up on me.. its so boring allready. you know

I figure if i go PALEO, i can prove that i can eat more calories and stay the same weight .. and my scale will make sure i dont all of the sudden gain weight.... to maintain has been the CHALLANGE of my life so far..

loseing the weight was done in just 1 year.. that was actually EASY back then
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    A LONG LONG time ago I managed to get rid and maintain all the weight i had gained in highschool.. average weight was like 150/160.. and everyday that i am not THAT WEIGHT is a great day in my world.. :flowerforyou:

So as you can see the past 5 years.. less calories, more weight.. I know its because i am older and i am ok with not weighing 120 lbs. :) !!! But another thing thats been happening is that ALL OF THE SUDDEN my clothes wont fit, so i take out the scale and go through the VLCD thing and get back down to 130.. TIRED OF that creeping up on me.. its so boring allready. you know

I figure if i go PALEO, i can prove that i can eat more calories and stay the same weight .. and my scale will make sure i dont all of the sudden gain weight.... to maintain has been the CHALLANGE of my life so far..

your 'set point' is metabolic homeostasis...has nothing to do with 'paleo' per se.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    your 'set point' is metabolic homeostasis...has nothing to do with 'paleo' per se.

yes that why i switched to paleo to not have this issue anymore..
  • hookilau
    Options
    I don't think that's the way it works.

OP, when you were younger, maintaining weight on a higher caloric amount (assuming it was accurately calculated with a food scale vs. measuring cups etc), it might have been due to a combination of your body composition having a higher ratio of muscle to fat?

If, as we age, as women, we naturally lose muscle, (provided a weight training routine or some such activity, is not implemented) this decreases our BMR. In combination with normal hormonal changes, according to all the TDEE, BMR calculators, as we age, we need less calories. Though I don't recall anyone saying specifically, I think it's reasonable to attribute the decrease to that.

I would put to you that your 'set point' is 'lifestyle related' vs 'diet style' and that people on such a thing exists in all diets.
    Not just Paleo or Paleo hybrid diets.

The difference is that, the given 'set point' may not be your idea of an 'ideal weight' or 'success'.

Maybe I'm not understanding your point :blushing:
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Have you considered that less calories = more weight, because you're not eating enough? People with hypothyroidism tend to think they need to reduce calories a lot to lose weight and at first it seems to work anf then it backfires and they end up like you. Seriously, you NEED to let go of the scale for a month or two or three and just eat. You might gain weight, but you have to fix the damage you have done. That's why stayiong away from the scale will beneift you, because a little bit of weight gain may be what your body needs for a bit to get healthy.

How tall are you?
  • hookilau
    Options

Have you considered that less calories = more weight, because you're not eating enough? People with hypothyroidism tend to think they need to reduce calories a lot to lose weight and at first it seems to work anf then it backfires and they end up like you. Seriously, you NEED to let go of the scale for a month or two or three and just eat. You might gain weight, but you have to fix the damage you have done. That's why stayiong away from the scale will beneift you, because a little bit of weight gain may be what your body needs for a bit to get healthy.

How tall are you?

Now this is an interesting point.

I recently increased my calories to find my personal maintenance. I think I was kind of miffed that at 5' tall, 45 yrs old & 126#'s all the weight loss calculators kept putting me at 1200 cal, one even put me at 1100! This was to lose .5-.8#'s a week. Also, I was really hungry =/ Thinking there must be a better way....

I was trying to figure out what my goals should be, continued weight loss or working with what I currently have & build on that.

I convinced my husband to do the same. While I was able to find my maintenance almost immediately, he's still increasing...annnd losing weight :tongue:

We've both been weight training for a number of years & have a good muscle base, however, he far more than I for obvious reasons. Anyway, just thought I'd pipe in here that this may be something worth exploring, if you're so inclined.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options

How tall are you?

Now this is an interesting point.

I recently increased my calories to find my personal maintenance. I think I was kind of miffed that at 5' tall, 45 yrs old & 126#'s all the weight loss calculators kept putting me at 1200 cal, one even put me at 1100! This was to lose .5-.8#'s a week. Also, I was really hungry =/ Thinking there must be a better way....

I was trying to figure out what my goals should be, continued weight loss or working with what I currently have & build on that.

I convinced my husband to do the same. While I was able to find my maintenance almost immediately, he's still increasing...annnd losing weight :tongue:

We've both been weight training for a number of years & have a good muscle base, however, he far more than I for obvious reasons. Anyway, just thought I'd pipe in here that this may be something worth exploring, if you're so inclined.

yeah going to try MORE muscle training exercises and i am increasing my calories by adding protein and good fats and good veggies..... i am maintaning and not losing which is fine with me..... more calories... i also have to think about my thryoid problems.. so will try to eat food which help that issue.. just read about that today.... the WHOLE point is to EAT more and not gain weight....

super excited about my new journey..
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

How tall are you?

This is EXACTLY what happened to me. I brought my calorie and scale obsession with me into Paleo, lost weight too fast initially, and it was a fail. I ate too little for too long, lost lean body mass, and SLOWED my metabolism. Now I have to just persist with eating healthy food and let my body heal. Supposedly I should still be in a calorie deficit at 2000 calories but I am GAINING weight (but my clothes are NOT getting tighter). I am dealing with the weight gain by knowing that my body is working to heal the damage I did by under-eating for so long, and since I am not actually getting bigger, I am not storing body fat.

I am motivated to share my experience with how calorie restriction and scale obsession backfired for me so that maybe others will avoid making the same mistake. Calorie and scale obsession are a big fail in the end.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    I only take the scale out when my clothes starts to not fit.. and then i take out the scale.... AND OF COURSE my weight is up...

Then i start LOGGING in my calories and of course i must have been eating more then i should.. because its funny.. the MINUTE i start logging in my food and writing my calories - my weight starts to go down.. and down and down....

like magic right?! LOL.... however if i was more methodical and wrote my food all the time, i am sure my clothes would not get tight..
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I only take the scale out when my clothes starts to not fit.. and then i take out the scale.... AND OF COURSE my weight is up...

Then i start LOGGING in my calories and of course i must have been eating more then i should.. because its funny.. the MINUTE i start logging in my food and writing my calories - my weight starts to go down.. and down and down....

like magic right?! LOL.... however if i was more methodical and wrote my food all the time, i am sure my clothes would not get tight..

FWIW, this was exactly what happened to me when I experimented and stopped logging everything. I certainly wish that I could be like others who found so much success that they are able to get rid of the scale and quit tracking meals but right now that isn't me...and I don't know that it ever will be. And I am OK with that actually. Logging for the rest of my life is a small price to pay if it means I will never be over 300 lbs. and miserable again.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options

FWIW, this was exactly what happened to me when I experimented and stopped logging everything. I certainly wish that I could be like others who found so much success that they are able to get rid of the scale and quit tracking meals but right now that isn't me...and I don't know that it ever will be. And I am OK with that actually. Logging for the rest of my life is a small price to pay if it means I will never be over 300 lbs. and miserable again.

I love forgetting about logging food and weighing myself.. this is what i have consistently done for YEARS but if i am honest with myself and everyone else. THE MINUTE I DO i fall off the wagon and gain weight.... and the danger ZONE is RIGT NOW. when i feel skinny and happy..

so happy i feel i could just NOT WORRY.. and what happens EVERYTIME. i gain weight, my clothes dont fit.. then i come back here and it all goes back to normal....

i am having FUN for the first time KNOWING i am not gaining any weight.. and the logging in food makes me accountable.. and the weighing myself is literally just to PROVE to myself i am on track and i am

right now i could not be HAPPIER :flowerforyou:
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Check out the Whole30. The main goal is to change our relationship to food; to adapt our bodies to enjoying, even craving, healthy foods, to the point where you don't have to think about eating (choosing, weighing, measuring, counting calories/carbs) but just do it. If your pantry's full of life-affirming food, you just pick what looks/sounds good and go with it.

I'm still at the point where I (probably, more or less) have to log my food because I am never hungry anymore and can happily get by on less than 800 calories a day, which is not healthy.

This month, where I've been too busy to log, I just make sure I get two hearty meals a day (similar in make-up to when I was logging, in terms of fat, protein, and veggies). But I have that basis of having done this for more than a year, so I sort of know what to eat to make my body happy.