Protein Powder Guru

Options
sistersoe
sistersoe Posts: 13 Member
I am sprinting to the mail box eVErY dAy looking for my approval letter from the insurance. It has been two week since all my paperwork was submitted. Starting to gather up my tools and needing feedback on the best whey protein powder, flavored or unflavored? Also, which brand of vitamins and supplements suggestions. I am prescribed several meds for bp, neuropathy, arthritis, asthma and RLS. How in the world will my tummy hold all my many pills? I pray I will be off the insulin quickly. Please share which WPS you like.
Knowing the mail doesn't run on Sundays reduce my chances of a skinned knee about what 10%?

Replies

• adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would suggest sampling protein powders but not really committing to anything (via buying in bulk) because your tastes may change. I bought a bunch of one protein powder before my surgery and hate it now. Like, no amount of doctoring it up makes me like it. A lot of people like Unjury or Syntax Nectars, but again, order samples but don't commit to anything.

My nutritionist and surgeon do not endorse any particular vitamin brand. You should ask them to see if they have a favorite. I take Sundown Naturals for my vitamin D and Vitamin B12, and for my multivitamin I take a Nature's Bounty pre-natal (not because I am pregnant, but because per my instructions you only need to take one pre-natal vs two regular multis). Initially after surgery you may be on liquid vitamins or chewables.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I would sample a few kinds, if I were you. I really like premier protein brand RTD shakes and powdered protein shake mixes. I like to add PB2 powdered peanut butter to my shakes for a peanut butter taste - it is really yummy and adds good protein, but has been defatted so doesn't add all of the fat and calories of regular PB.

Right after surgery, i really liked the RTD isopure drinks. They were the least bulky of the protein beverages, taste like gatorade, and went down easy. they can be pricey, but are readily available at GNC by the bottle. so you can try a little bit and not break the bank.

also, i bought a personal sized blender (the blender carafe is a to-go cup that holds about 20 oz). That has been indispensible in making powder-mix shakes more appetizing. they are at their best when they are ice cold and blended thoroughly. i bought a hamilton beech one on amazon for about $15. good investment. think about it!!

I use chewy vitamins that I buy at BJs in bulk.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I agree, wait until after surgery to really stock up. One exception, I swear by Syntrax unflavored protein pwoder. It's Wehy Isolate protein which is what my doctor insits we use. It does not change the flavor but will change the consistency of some foods. I've even put it in flavored water when I'm really low on protein for the day. But having a supply will help you when you need to boost the protein levels of anything liquid or anything with a sauce or broth.

The other thing to try is Isopure Zero. It's a flavored water with about 40 grams of protein per bottle. I loved it in the beginning because it's water and protein! I had a real hard time with the protein shakes right after surgery, too thick and sweet for me, and lived on the Isopure and protein infused chicken and beef broth.

There's a ton of different liquids out there to help you pre and post surgery. Good luck with everything! This is a great tool and I am so blessed to have it!

Pat
  • sistersoe
    Options
    Thank you everyone for suggestions and preferences. There are so many products to choose and I will definitely shop for samples. I am looking up the Isopure Zero on Amazon. Any more suggestions please send my way. I am keeping a running list of essentials and surely within in the next two weeks something fandamtastic will explode my mailbox. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :explode: :bigsmile:
  • sistersoe
    Options
    Pat,

Where do you find the isopure flavor water drinks? I seen others post about Isopure but I cannot find it.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I also recommend getting samples. I got sample packs of Syntrax Nectars and Sweets, Unjury (chocolate, vanilla, plain, and chicken soup), and About Time. I also bought some Isopure Zero and the Premier Protein from Costco. I am almost 2 weeks out of surgery and I could NOT drink the Isopure and I really taste the artificial sweeteners in the Syntrax.
  • adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Pat,

Where do you find the isopure flavor water drinks? I seen others post about Isopure but I cannot find it.

My local Mariano's (grocery chain in Chicago) sells isopure. So you might check to see if your grocery store has it. I feel like the isopure has an aftertaste. Or maybe not an aftertaste, but it leaves my mouth feeling all coated with a residue.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Pat,

GNC sells them. If you buy their membership card, you get a decent discount. I think the card is $10, and the discount is $11 per case of isopure. You get the discount for a full year, so it is a good deal. Isopure is pricey.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Pat,

I bought mine at GNC. That's where I get my quest bars as well.
  • dawing
    dawing Posts: 10
    Options
    You can get samples of Syntrax Nectar and Matrix from www.mybariatricpantry.com. They ship really fast. My favorites are half a packet of Banana Cream with a half packet of Chocolate Truffle Nectar mixed in a high protein soy milk. The Matrix Mint Cookie is really good too.
  • stroynaya
    stroynaya Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I used the wellesse liquid vitamins for the first few months after surgery. Now I am taking Opurity multi which is designed for bariatric surgery patients. Bought everything online.