Winter Sleeping Bag

Options
T1DCarnivoreRunner
T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
I'm looking for advice from others who backpack and/or camp in the winter. I've only been once, and I used a cheap synthetic sleeping bag with a rating at zero degrees Fahrenheit. The actual temperature was close to zero degrees, and that was the manufacturers rating, so... it was uncomfortably cold and I did not sleep well at all (you know how you wake up when you get too cold, and then have to warm up before going back to sleep).

So now I'm wanting to get a good down-filled winter sleeping bag sometime in the next 2 months. I'm having trouble finding EN ratings lower than zero (will keep looking, of course). I would need something that is similar to an EN rating of -10 degrees Fahrenheit (using today's EN ratings, not those from a few years ago that are 10 degrees off). It would be even better if it can be packed up quite small (I know, a tall order).

Does anyone have any advice for sleeping bags that could fit this? I figure they will probably run in the $600-$800 range, so I get that. I've also considered adding a liner for more warmth.

Replies

• Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I also had purchased a bag that was "15" degrees. Turns out in the united states , there is no regulations on the ratings Which almost cost me my life.
    REI is expensive but a good place to start with a good sleeping bag.

NWhikers.net is another place to question a good bag.
    I have a synthetic bag from Cabela's that cost me about $80 dollars, 20 degrees, weighs 3 lbs and compresses pretty darn good. but I still use a fleece liner in it, only because I don't like the nylon feeling.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I purchased a down bag from Feathered Friends in Seattle a couple of years ago. I previously had a Big Agnes bag but knew it wouldn't be warm enough for my trip to Nepal. Even though I was staying indoors at night it was quite cold with ice on the inside of the windows. You might check Feathered Friends. I just phoned them when I ordered the bag and it was made to my specifications, even color.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you look at the comfort rating vs survival rating. A bag might have a -10 degree survival rating but trust me you won't be all that comfortable!

There is so much out there it's hard to recommend something, I just wouldn't recommend a synthetic bag (ever) if warmth is what you need. REI has always been a great place for me to buy my gear and well as Sierra Trading Post.