Body By You week 3

Options
knitapeace
knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
So I posted a thread a few weeks back about the YAYOG program, but before i could start I decided to switch to the BBY program. I really only wanted to do strength 3 times a week. I was also intent on using strength training to supplement my running program but I injured my knee and have been doing 45 minutes of walking on alternate mornings. I get one or two complete rest days per week.

I'm confused about when to progress to the next intensity of exercise. For example, I can complete 3x10 of a super slow sumo squat, so this morning I upped it to overhead squat (holding a towel tense overhead while squatting). I completed those without too much trouble and wonder during the early stages can you progress to the next exercise from one workout to the next? Should I move up to the overhead squat with 1 second hold on Wednesday?

(I confess I didn't do the evaluation phase, just jumped in with the exercises I felt I was ready for, based on previous bodyweight strength training I've done.)

Basically I think I'm doing versions that are too easy, but he also says you should not work "to failure". So how do I know when to move up and when to keep going with a particular version of an exercise?

Replies

• AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hi knitapeace,

Once you can complete the reps with good form, you should move on to the next exercise in the series. Did you do the test run that he recommends to determine where you should start? For example, I started with very little upper body strength, but lots of leg strength (I think that pattern is common for women), so I started on a much higher exercise for my legs.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I just started my program too :) I how I understand it, you can move up as soon as you complete the exercise in the time allotted with good form, even if you totally nail it first try! Good on you for squats though! My form is not good haha. I can do lots of improper squats but I keep nearly falling over when my form is right. I knew my core (and balance) was weak.
  • knitapeace
    Options
    I think it helps if you think about sticking your rear end way way out to counterbalance. Like you're trying to sit on a seat that's just a little bit too far behind you.
    <---not an expert!!!
  • VeryKatie
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The problem is I fall backwards... I tend to lean forwards to stop myself from feeling like I'm going to land on my butt.. So facing a wall like it suggests is a good thing for me I think. Hoping the form will come quickly.
  • knitapeace
    Options
    Based on what I've read about proper squat form, here are the things I think about each time I squat: 1. toes turned out about 45˚, 2. push knees out and rear end back as I sink down, 3. pull up my toes and press through my heels as I raise myself up again. I don't look up or down, but try to keep my head in a neutral position, with my eyes on one spot for balance. If any of those help you, that will make me very happy! :smiley: I'm sure facing a wall will also help.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    I will try those! Thank you!