Annoying loud creaking coming from my front chainrings

Options
m1xm0d3
m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
I think I have a bigger issue here that I will address very soon but over the past few days my bike has developed a creaking sound coming from the chain rings, crank or pedals.

When I stand and pedal under stress, it goes away.

I don't believe it's the pedals because I took them off and do not notice any signs of damage or wear or any chatter in the bearings.

I just had the bike in the shop for a tune up just over a month ago and I've put about 300 miles on it since then.

Any ideas what I can do to fix it or at least eliminate some of the guessing? This is my daily commuter to work and back so as much as I need the bike to function, I also NEED it for work.

2012 Diamondback Overdrive Sport - 3 chainring front.

Replies

• TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    It's probably the bottom bracket. You can try to pull the crank and BB, clean everything up, grease, and reassemble to see if that fixes it.

I have fought a creaking and squeaking BB with my SS for a while now.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    When you stand it goes away, but you notice it when pedaling while seated?

Could it be coming from the seatpost/saddle? That's a nagging issue for me on both my mtn bikes.

if that's not it, I also would suspect the BB. Could be worn, or might just be dirty.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Could also be the bolts that hold on your chain rings. I had one that worked a bit loose and there was a persistent creaking from it. I'd check that, the pedals too, before servicing the BB!

Oh, and maybe you have a loose cleat on a shoe. That can pop or creak too.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Oh, and maybe you have a loose cleat on a shoe. That can pop or creak too.

I lost a bolt in one of my cleats while on a MTB ride once and couldn't get my right foot unclipped. Resulted in a lot of laughs from my brothers.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I have a creaking bike, too. Had a tuneup about 800mi ago....stopped in LBS they recommended tightening up the cables a bit. Apparently the cables can stretch & make too much noise.

*LBS = sounds kinky, but really it stands for Local Bike Shop.

(note to self: remember to bring em cookies)
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jacksonpt, if the problem goes away when you stand, it could well be the seat post. I know that sounds odd but I've had it happen and I swore the noise was coming from the BB. Several attempts at dismantling, cleaning re-lubing, proper torquing did not help.

Following the wisdom of Mr. Holmes, I looked elsewhere. Sure enough when I pulled the seat post it was dry as a bone. I applied some of carbon lube/paste and the noise disappeared immediately.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue. Once it was a loose BB and another time the bolts that hold the chain ring on were loose. I would start there.

I have also experience creaking noise from my seat post. I have broken 3 saddle rails in the past, I must beat the **** out of my seat
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    I think I have a bigger issue here that I will address very soon but over the past few days my bike has developed a creaking sound coming from the chain rings, crank or pedals.

When I stand and pedal under stress, it goes away.

I don't believe it's the pedals because I took them off and do not notice any signs of damage or wear or any chatter in the bearings.

I just had the bike in the shop for a tune up just over a month ago and I've put about 300 miles on it since then.

Any ideas what I can do to fix it or at least eliminate some of the guessing? This is my daily commuter to work and back so as much as I need the bike to function, I also NEED it for work.

2012 Diamondback Overdrive Sport - 3 chainring front.

Grease is needed on all contact points (BB, pedal spindles, seatpost, saddle/rail bolts, etc...) Blue Loctite should be used on the chainring bolts. Disassemble everything, lube it up, and reassemble. All should be good. It should be an annual maintenance routine, and more often if you have ridden in rain, or washed your bike (water is bad for a bike).
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I also noticed the creaking seat post. Funny thing is sound really does travel on this aluminum frame. I dropped the post down a half inch and it went away. I know there is no lube or anything in the post tube so I will check it again.
    I got the bike last June and have since rode just under 2,500 miles on it. Still running on the same original components. Last tune up the LBS said I need a new chain (stretch), new middle chainring and rear cassette (both worn) but the bike had rode fine for me. No skipping or anything so I declined the work.
    There is also a click that I can FEEL through the pedal on the right side, 3 o'clock, every revolution. I am fairly mechanical savvy but unfortunately I don't have any bike tools except for some allen wrenches. I don't use cleats, only the strappy stirrups. I did check the bolts on the chainring and they were very tight.

Looks like I am going to have to invest some $$$ in some new parts.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    More and more it sounds like a BB issue. I would have your LBS look at it
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    More and more it sounds like a BB issue. I would have your LBS look at it

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am. Like I said earlier, I just had the bike serviced a month ago and it included these services, including BB r&r. (I got the premium service)

BASIC SERVICE - $49.99
    -Inspect and inflate tires
    -Inspect and wipe down frame
    -Adjust brake cables
    -Adjust derailleur cables
    -Adjust headset
    -Check crank arms for proper torque and function
    -Clean and grease seat post
    -Inspect chain for wear and lubricate
    -NOTE: All additional parts are extra, labor is included in the price of the tune up.

PREMIUM SERVICE - $89.99 (most popular)
    -Include everything in the Basic Service
    -Bleed brakes, if applicable
    -Adjust/repack hubs
    -True wheels
    -Remove and reinstall bottom bracket for proper adjustment and function
    -NOTE: All additional parts are extra, labor is included in the price of the tune up
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Soooo I found this yesterday. It must have been there over the past week (when the noise started). I have no idea how that happened. I keep my seat high but within the marks shown on the post. It's like I had been pushing hard off the handlebars, which I don't do. I hope my Diamondback frame warranty covers this. But in the event that it doesn't. do you think JB Weld would be a good option to make it safe and stable once again?

Totally bummed. And I still have the 3 o'clock click on my pedal. :(

6f078c9b8490099b61135ac5552f208ceecc.jpg
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    I am also exploring tig weld fabrication shops.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Warranty replacement or buy another frame and swap it. Don't even THINK about re-welding or holding it together with jb-weld (I assume thats some form of metalised epoxy stuff)

It's scrap.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Warranty replacement or buy another frame and swap it. Don't even THINK about re-welding or holding it together with jb-weld (I assume thats some form of metalised epoxy stuff)

It's scrap.

Agreed.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sucks. I agree...the frame is ruined.

One thing about the seatpost to remember. It may have a max-height line, but regardless of that you should have the end of the post below all the weld lines in the tube.
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sucks. I agree...the frame is ruined.

One thing about the seatpost to remember. It may have a max-height line, but regardless of that you should have the end of the post below all the weld lines in the tube.
    Well put. FYI the minimum insertion markings is for the strength of the seat post, and as you have found out, on the frame it may not be enough. Your seat post should always extend down inside to the bottom of the top tube. if your frame has a tall seat post neck, it may mean quite a bit below the minimum insertion markings.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    This sucks... I have zero $$$ to invest in another frame. With 2,500 miles rode in 10 months, simply put, this bike is my life. It's what I use to commute to work every damn day weather permits and my only form of exercise. (running it not an option, terrible knees & ankles)

The welder I spoke to said he could fill in the crack then weld on a sleeve (Possibly steel) around the affected area to help reinforce it. Is that still not an option?

I am taking it in tonight to the local dealer and hope they honor their warranty. But reading the terms, it doesn't cover the labor to swap out all of the components. I have no idea how much that will cost and it's surely something I cannot do myself.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Why would they not honour the warranty?

It is obviously a manufacturing fault... The frame should be replaced and everything swapped over as part of the warranty replacement!

Stick to your guns!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    If it's only 10 months old, I'd fight pretty hard to get it replaced. Hopefully your dealer/lbs will go to bat for you and get things taken care of.