Annoying loud creaking coming from my front chainrings

Options
2»

Replies

• m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    10 months riding I mean (I didn't ride between Nov-Mar)... The bike was bought in June 2013. Here is what the warranty terms are.

Alloy bicycle frames with 20˝, 24˝, 26˝, or 700c wheels Lifetime, for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the bicycle*
    Labor, frame replacement One year from the date of original retail purchase

I assume that means I will have to pay the labor.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    10 months riding I mean (I didn't ride between Nov-Mar)... The bike was bought in June 2013. Here is what the warranty terms are.

Alloy bicycle frames with 20˝, 24˝, 26˝, or 700c wheels Lifetime, for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the bicycle*

Most major manufacturers replace frames without much problem. Usually the labor is just the time it takes the bike shop to move the fork and components to the new frame.

It's going to take some time to get the new frame. It took Trek 6 weeks to be me a new frame last time I broke mine and my brother broke his second Gary Fisher frame last year and it took about 4-5 week to get his.

edited to remove a question that was already answered above.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options

It sounds that way but a good bike shop would either waive labor charge or at least give a reduced price. If they don't I would look for a new bike shop for future purchases
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    While you're waiting for the frame to be replaced, call around at the bike shop for a chat, take donuts/cake with you, and get on the good side of the mechanics... Seriously, a like for like swap is about a hours work for a half decent mechanic... if you're seen as "a good guy" they'll waive the rebuild fee, providing they can fit the job in to suit their time frame. And if they don't, go elsewhere next time, because they're a bunch of *kitten*.
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    I am probably boned because I bought the bike from Amazon (credit line). Assembled myself then had it inspected and adjusted at my LBS prior to the maiden voyage. That LBS (along with the other 2 shops I have had tune ups done since then) are not Diamondback dealers and my thinking is that most LBS's that have to do a warranty claim for a bike they didn't sell will do me no favors. Maybe even thwart the process (Pessimistic much? More like a realist!) D1CKS Sporting Goods is where I planned to take it but nationwide chains like that rarely do the same but I at least hope they don't have a chip on their shoulder. And I am a big guy. 6' 7" and 275lbs so I could see that being a factor in the shop 'finding a cause' to the frame damage. In all I've probably rode the bike off road maybe 100 miles, if even that. For an MTB, this bike has been pampered with smooth paved street rides.

Man this sucks. I have a week long vacation to the Outer Banks of NC planned for the 2nd week in Sept and I absolutely planned to bring my bike along for some beautiful rides along the coast. So it sounds like even with the warranty honored, I wouldn't have the bike back before then.

I bought the MTB with commuting in mind while also wanting the option to hit the trails without issue. Maybe it's time to consider asking Amazon for a credit line increase and look in to getting a road bike. To which I have zero knowledge about.

I appreciate everyone input, I really do. Thanks!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Had a similar issue.

Then I realized the creaking wasn't coming from the chainrings, it was coming from my knees. :tongue:
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Hahahaha ^^^^ in a silent room, if I do the squat pose real slow you can hear someone eating celery.... knee gravel.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Feel for you on this one, gutting to see a crack like that, I always say if the frame is sound everything else is fixable, defo a warranty thing and wish you luck, I would absolutely hammer them on the 'fit for purpose' clause in todays standards, not only has it failed badly but also caused you a lot of grief, as you said it's your life.

As for the click you get in the crank or any squeak etc before you consider replacing parts get well versed in taking the crank, holding bolts pedals etc apart and grease, grease and grease a bit more! Forget using a LBS and get well versed in doing this yourself and do it often, being in control of these little irritations will save you a fortune and you'll get a thrill from keeping the bike well maintained

Good luck!
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Feel for you on this one, gutting to see a crack like that, I always say if the frame is sound everything else is fixable, defo a warranty thing and wish you luck, I would absolutely hammer them on the 'fit for purpose' clause in todays standards, not only has it failed badly but also caused you a lot of grief, as you said it's your life.

As for the click you get in the crank or any squeak etc before you consider replacing parts get well versed in taking the crank, holding bolts pedals etc apart and grease, grease and grease a bit more! Forget using a LBS and get well versed in doing this yourself and do it often, being in control of these little irritations will save you a fortune and you'll get a thrill from keeping the bike well maintained

Good luck!

That's great info man. Thanks a bunch for the well wishes. I seriously need to invest in a bike repair manual and some of the tools.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Any news on this? Are they going to repair it for you?
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    The 'bike guy' at D I C K's wasn't in yesterday so I am taking it to them this evening after work. *fingers crossed*

And WTF is up with MFP not allowing the use of the word D I C K? I mean I get that it can be a phallus but what if my name was actually D I C K ?!?! lol
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    I took the bike in to D I C K S and they questioned why I brought it to them (bad sign #1) I told the guy that the warranty dept told me to come there. He proceeds to look at the bike and says yep, you had the seat too high (bad sign #2) he looks at the seat and says 'its too high right now' I point to the seat post mark the pull it out of the tube and show him the minimum mark while still holding my place where the current clamp mark is, about 1/4 inch over the minimum mark and I told the guy I only have the seat as high as db guidelines suggest. He called db directly and gave me the 'dealer number' to follow up. Doesn't look good but I'll argue my position until my last breath and show my *kitten* if I have to.

More updates to follow...
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Sounds as though the Proprietor might be a bit of a D I C K...

Fingers crossed for you!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I took the bike in to D I C K S and they questioned why I brought it to them (bad sign #1) I told the guy that the warranty dept told me to come there. He proceeds to look at the bike and says yep, you had the seat too high (bad sign #2) he looks at the seat and says 'its too high right now' I point to the seat post mark the pull it out of the tube and show him the minimum mark while still holding my place where the current clamp mark is, about 1/4 inch over the minimum mark and I told the guy I only have the seat as high as db guidelines suggest. He called db directly and gave me the 'dealer number' to follow up. Doesn't look good but I'll argue my position until my last breath and show my *kitten* if I have to.

More updates to follow...

IME, the guys at ****'s don't care much about anything, and certainly not doing right by you. Go to an actual LBS that sells DB, or deal with DB directly.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    They may try to reject your claim straight off since the damage you have is almost certainly a seatpost too high issue. However, proving it is another thing. So don't help them reach that conclusion with leaving the seat way up to begin with.

Unless there is a policy to never replace a frame with such damage (there very well may be one), you could get traction by just firmly insisting they replace the frame.

Also - I looked up the warranty out of curiosity. http://www.diamondback.com/support_warranty-statement

Since D I C K S is an authorized dealer, they should handle the warranty return for you. I'd go to a manager there and make a stink about it. Print out the warranty too and highlight the return part.