Tuesday, August 12th - Daily Check in log, Rest Day

Options
AllieRoyerA
AllieRoyerA Posts: 69 Member
Today is Day 12!

Rest Day :)

Today, I want to talk about something we all struggle with from time to time, and I want to use these tips from Day 15 to Day 30.

Food Prep! Eating clean and healthy is 80% of the battle... It can be a real challenge, but if you have the proper tools, tips and support you can master the skill!

• Pick 1 or 2 days each week for food preparation. Plan your meals for a few days and make sure you have everything you need to get started.

• Cook lean sources of protein and cube for easy use and portion control throughout the week.

• Roast any veggies you want cooked. Coat in olive/coconut oil and sprinkle with sea salt, broil for about 15 minutes max.

• Chop veggies to create your base salad (stay away from iceberg lettuce as it is a nutritional zero in the lettuce family). You can add avocado, protein, and salad dressing later.

• Cook your complex carbohydrate foods. Good choices include steel-cut oats, brown rice, and sweet potatoes. These all store nicely until your next food prep day.

• If you have fruit that needs to be cut, do that this day also, and put it in pre-portioned servings in Ziploc bags.

• Prepare seasonings and dressings. Store-bought dressings and seasoning mixes all contain poor sources of oils/fats,
chemicals, and calories. You can enjoy as much vinegar and mustard as you want for salad dressings.

• Prepare snack foods such as trail mixes (no salt, no m&m’s), hard-boiled eggs, fresh veggies, etc.

• Portion your meals into individual containers for a quick grab-and-go meal.

• Invest in a large lunch bag. We are all going to be somewhere when we need to eat, so just take it with you!

• Plan your meals so you are eating about every 3 hours.

• Think CLEAN, NATURAL FOODS!!!

Today, I want to ask that we all share a few things we each do now for food prep!

For example:

I will take Sunday afternoon and prep all of my lunch meals for the week, with snacks. I will make my salads, and freeze my meats, and make portion sized snacks, 3 snacks per day..

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It's nice to have a rest day from squats.....it is never a rest day from dog walking unless we go out of town and board the dogs :laugh:

:bigsmile: I am retired and have time every day for meal prep......I keep it very simple especially by keeping my freezer full of frozen fish and chicken breasts and frozen veggies.

:bigsmile: I keep calories, fat, and sodium lower by staying away from sauces and salad dressing
  • Lilylee757
    Lilylee757 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The only food prep I tend to do is when I fire up the grill I will cook my meats, mostly chicken all at once and freeze individually to use as needed. Happy Rest Day!
  • glynie12
    glynie12 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    happy rest day!
    when i buy sweet potatoes, ill cook them on the weekend as im really the only person in the house that enjoys them. i will mash them and put them in my set out containers. i then make some quinoa and add my portion of that to my sweet potato container. if we have chicken breasts then i add that too. we always have pork tenderloin so that works too.
    i make about 5 or 6 containers and this way i know i have a tasty nutritious lunch/dinner at my finger tips.
    if i don't have any meat then i just go veggie and add a hard boiled egg or other protein.

i usually chop my carrots, celery and peppers as i need them. even tho im home all day i still like to do some food prep!!
  • Ljordan_fitflow
    Ljordan_fitflow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Happy rest day!!!