Fat implicated in depression (not that I believe it)

Options
homesweeths
homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
This was part of a series on avoiding depression triggers:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/depression-pictures/avoiding-common-depression-triggers.aspx?xid=aol_eh-emo_3_20140811_&aolcat=HLT&ncid=webmail12#10

Of course, they don't separate out the good fats from the bad. The picture is of someone eating French Fries. Not good fat, I believe, and potatoes are problematic for me, anyhow. They do, at least, advise eating more fresh fruits and vegetables.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what KIND of fat? All fat is not equal. duh And does the fact that many depressed people have a terrible diet not even factor in? High PUFAs with high sugar/starch is the killer. The "fat is bad" cannot be allowed to die. If we all wake up and get healthy many organizations stand to lose much profit.
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My personal experiece is that not eating fats results in more severe depression symptoms. In fact, eating paleo/primal seems to lift any depression symptoms I experience within days.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    OMG, eating crap oxidized fats filled with omega 6's and/or transfats would defiantly cause depression. I don't mean that in the silly way - I mean it. It also would cause Alzheimers, general hormone disregulation (which would have a serious impact on mental health) and just plain suck.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    This seems pretty suspect to me, especially given that brains are very high in fat content.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When you actually look at the link and read it, hte idea is that a poor diet in general leads to depression. It isn't fats fault, but that is where theypoint the finger. Crap food is the issue, period. When will poeple get that?
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    http://www.gnmhealthcare.com/pdf/04-2010/16/ANPv44i5-04160550-418436_00048670903571598.pdf

So, being hte nerd that I am I had to look for this. If you scroll down to the area that discussing how they determined a healthy diet, it mentions nothing about fat. The take home message was, "Eat more fruits and vegetables." And eat less, "biscuits (cookies), cookies, hamburgers, hotdogs, potato chips, cakes, pies, sweet drinks, cordial (whatever that is), Big M (again whatever that is) and flavoured mineral water" Not once did it factor for healthy fat, or fat in the absence of crappy grains. Yeah, not the same thing.