Hot Sauce - NO SUGAR... 0 CARBS Sriracha

Options
Hi guys,
just one of my favorite things is HOTSAUCE.. Mainly Sriracha.. in an attempt to not add up carbs or to much sugar in my diet i went in the hunt for one with NO SUGAR.. and found BADIA Sriracha Sauce... while it may not taste as delicious as the most popular brand with sugar.. it has no carbs/no sugar.. so in my view.. BETTER!!

http://www.badiaspices.com/marinades-sauces/sriracha/

I use this in my food EVERYDAY.. On avocado, salad, steak chicken.. i mix with olive oil and its just ADDICTING.. almost no calories and no sugar...!!! and its like the BEST.. makes veggies taste better..

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,
    just one of my favorite things is HOTSAUCE.. Mainly Sriracha.. in an attempt to not add up carbs or to much sugar in my diet i went in the hunt for one with NO SUGAR.. and found BADIA Sriracha Sauce... while it may not taste as delicious as the most popular brand with sugar.. it has no carbs/no sugar.. so in my view.. BETTER!!

http://www.badiaspices.com/marinades-sauces/sriracha/

I use this in my food EVERYDAY.. On avocado, salad, steak chicken.. i mix with olive oil and its just ADDICTING.. almost no calories and no sugar...!!! and its like the BEST.. makes veggies taste better..

*sigh* I remember Sriracha fondly.

Anyone got workable recipes for BBQ sauce, chili, Italian sauce (think pasta or lasagna made with zucchini instead of noodles) made without tomatoes or peppers? I've been thinking something carrot-based, with vinegar added to imitate the acidity in tomatoes...
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My Paleo cookbooks are full of recipes for BBQ sauce, Sriracha, and many, many others. I can't remember which book right now but there is a BBQ sauce without any sweetener added and it was delicious.The only reason that I haven't made the Sriracha is because I can't get the ingredients. Sauces and dressings are mostly pretty easy to make and then I know exactly what is in them. Remember, there's an "acceptable" level of lack of full disclosure on labels ("natural flavours" can be anything! and one must wonder why those kinds of ingredients are not being specified). I buy a few condiments pre-made but I stick to only certain brands (Eden is one).
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I like hte Lee Kum Kee sriracha.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am also considering making my own mayo with olive oil.. I remember as a child I was taught how to make this. its basically like 2 egg yolks, some mustard,, spalsh of lemon and then you literally DRIP y DRIP the oil as it swirls in the blender.. you have to do it very slow or it will not work... and then you have an amazing mayo..
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I make the Sriracha recipe in Nom Nom Paleo's cookbook and it is prefered around here to all bottled premade stuff you can get at the store and these are non paleo people stealing the stuff I make too.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My Paleo cookbooks are full of recipes for BBQ sauce, Sriracha, and many, many others. I can't remember which book right now but there is a BBQ sauce without any sweetener added and it was delicious.The only reason that I haven't made the Sriracha is because I can't get the ingredients. Sauces and dressings are mostly pretty easy to make and then I know exactly what is in them. Remember, there's an "acceptable" level of lack of full disclosure on labels ("natural flavours" can be anything! and one must wonder why those kinds of ingredients are not being specified). I buy a few condiments pre-made but I stick to only certain brands (Eden is one).

Thanks, but all the paleo BBQ and pasta sauce recipes I've seen are tomato based. Sriracha is (by definition, I'm pretty sure) hot-pepper based. I can't do tomatoes or peppers, so I'm looking for a way to have my cake and eat it, too... in a manner of speaking...

I figure vinegar or flavored vinegar might help (with its sour acid flavor) in stirring together some sort of fake-tomato sauce or tomato-free BBQ sauce, but haven't quite been able to brainstorm the rest of the ingredients.

I've already found a couple ways to give myself a potato fix without potatoes. Turnips fried in bacon fat taste remarkably like potatoes. Sweet potatoes are okay -- similar texture, different flavor when mashed or cubed or fried. Cauliflower mashed "potatoes" are actually kind of yummy. Still thinking of something to eat that would satisfy my occasional desire for potato salad, but haven't found it yet. I know, I ought to be enjoying all the other foods that are available. And I do! But just occasionally, I get a little wistful for an old favorite. Kind of like a friend of mine who gave up smoking -- she ended up giving up coffee, too, because having a cup of coffee always made her want a cigarette. For me, oven-fried chicken (yummy with almond flour) makes me want some potato salad to go along with it. So far I've satisfied myself with my paleo-ized coleslaw instead (not many changes needed there, it was mostly changing out the mayo for homemade paleo mayo, and using a little coconut sugar or honey in the recipe instead of white sugar).
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have not tried this recipe for Carolina style BBQ sauce, which is mustard based, but the ingredients look like "winners". It does have honey, but I personally don't feel that sugar is evil as long as it is in moderation.

http://honestlydelicious.blogspot.com/2013/06/paleo-carolina-gold-bbq-sauce.html

Here's another one. it has cayenne, but you can substitiute extra black pepper to make up for not adding that.

http://cavemomchronicles.com/primal-carolina-style-bbq-sauce/
  • Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Thanks, but all the paleo BBQ and pasta sauce recipes I've seen are tomato based. Sriracha is (by definition, I'm pretty sure) hot-pepper based. I can't do tomatoes or peppers, so I'm looking for a way to have my cake and eat it, too... in a manner of speaking...

I figure vinegar or flavored vinegar might help (with its sour acid flavor) in stirring together some sort of fake-tomato sauce or tomato-free BBQ sauce, but haven't quite been able to brainstorm the rest of the ingredients.

I've already found a couple ways to give myself a potato fix without potatoes. Turnips fried in bacon fat taste remarkably like potatoes. Sweet potatoes are okay -- similar texture, different flavor when mashed or cubed or fried. Cauliflower mashed "potatoes" are actually kind of yummy. Still thinking of something to eat that would satisfy my occasional desire for potato salad, but haven't found it yet. I know, I ought to be enjoying all the other foods that are available. And I do! But just occasionally, I get a little wistful for an old favorite. Kind of like a friend of mine who gave up smoking -- she ended up giving up coffee, too, because having a cup of coffee always made her want a cigarette. For me, oven-fried chicken (yummy with almond flour) makes me want some potato salad to go along with it. So far I've satisfied myself with my paleo-ized coleslaw instead (not many changes needed there, it was mostly changing out the mayo for homemade paleo mayo, and using a little coconut sugar or honey in the recipe instead of white sugar).

Empowered Sustenance has a lot of nightshade-free recipes. She just posted a tomato free bbq sauce recipe (empoweredsustenance.com/tomato-free-barbecue-sauce/). The recipe itself is from Sarah Ballantyne's The Paleo Approach Cookbook, but it's made of: red palm oil/coconut oil, onion, apple, molasses, apple cider vinegar, ginger, fish sauce, mace, garlic, turmeric, and cinnamon. I don't know if the mace would be an issue for you, but it might work. Good luck!