Antibiotic Associated Colitis

Options
glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,627 Member
Ok, so, first off...yes, of course I'm under the care of my gastro.

I had a tooth infection and my dentist prescribed amoxicyllin. I'd never had a problem with it before so took it without running it by my gastro first. Of course, that was a dumb idea.

So now I have antibiotic associated colitis and was put on vancomycin which worked for about two days after I finished taking it but that one fun side effect came back so was put on metronidazole which I haven't started yet.

Anyone else gone through this? I'd just like to know if there's more I can do to help things along. I was doing a loose version of the BRAT diet before but it didn't do much to bind things up.

I didn't mind the 4 lbs I lost in 2 weeks since I've been gaining and losing the same pound for like a year but c'mon! :smile:

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with a similar situation. Had just finished a round of antibiotics for an ear infection when a stomach virus swept through town--and my guts. After 3 days of the stomach bug, I was starting to feel better when WHAM-- I go down in agony on day 5 and end up in the ER on day 7 with extreme abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and dehydration.

The operating theory is that since my gut flora was already compromised by the antibiotics, the stomach bug wiped out everything except a particularly hearty bacteria, which started colonizing like crazy and banning visitors like water, food, and other flora.

So, I'm on day 10, starting a different antibiotic, and still afraid to eat much beyond lean ground turkey, toast, eggs, and jello.

Lost 8 lbs in 10 days the hard way.