HELP- totally confused now

kaiser44
kaiser44 Posts: 9 Member
I have been hypo for about 20 years now. I have been doing a lot of reading on calories and how many I should be eating. Now...I am total confused. One thyroid site says I should be eating 2000, another says 1689. I have been limiting my calories to 1300 and have not been able to lose any weight. Well, I lost 3 pounds, but gained them right back. I am 5'8 and weigh 195 pounds. I walk daily with my dog for 20-30 mins at a very fast pace and do the 30 Day shred 5 days a week (level 2). Does this mean I am not eating enough calories? How did you figure out the right amount?

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Find a place that can measure your BMR. My gym has a body composition analysis scale that can make BMR estimates. They charge $30 for a 3 month subscription--people generally get measured once a month.

If your BMR is low, then look at your thyroid numbers and consider if you have any hypothyroid symptoms. It could be that your dose has become to low for you, or it could be that you've slowed your metabolism by eating too little over a prolonged period.

If your meds are right and you ramp your food up you'll probably gain back a few pounds before starting to lose again. Your BMR would need a little time to readjust.

It sounds like you are getting enough exercise.

Also make sure you are disciplined in logging and weighing your food.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    I wonder what MFP would suggest for you. True you need to decide what your level of activity is, think of a number for the amount of weight you would like to loose each week, then enter your usual or expected exercise schedule this would probably give you another number but this would include the recommendation for fat and protein and things but this might help to give you a reasonable idea of where to start. I found this worked for me. If you've not had your levels reviewed recently now might be the time, it is easy to get into a rut, you may benefit from a new level.