I'm gonna do that! (Progress log)

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Suggestion besides HIIT on the expected bigger eating day.
    A 30-60 min cardio session, as hard as you can go for that time.

That will drain the glucose stores very well (don't do it fasted or you won't have the energy to do it hard), meaning whatever you eat with carbs (except alcohol) is going for storage first.

This is not normally a good training method, but it's a great workout for eating big later.
    Despite being invalid weigh-in, you might be curious to see the before workout weight, and after workout weight, after you have rid the body of extra water.

Drink plenty of water with the carbs, or it'll attach to what you got and leave you dehydrated, and that and alcohol is bad combo because it does the same.

Great news on the weight leveling out.

And I need to remember that training program for those that ask. Better than bodypump you think?

I'd give another week at figuring out how to hit 2100 easily before increase to 2300. Plus stabilize after the weekend fun.
  • semproniana
    Options
    Absolutely going to follow your advice. I have eaten my normal breakfast (oats banana and whey), now making sure I drink enough water. I normally go for 3 litres a day, should I double it?

The training program is a 4 day strenght training split, though it revolves around compound movements. There I go for strenght gains 6-10 reps per set, moderate rests) though it ends with jump rope and this type of finishers. Bodypump is fun, but I tend to sacrifice form over speed, and I want to really give a nice focus on each of the parts I train.

I will keep you updated.
  • semproniana
    Options
    Hey! You thought I was going to miss this week? No way!

So, this week after my birthday strange things happened.

I worked out on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (had a long walk on saturday before dinner), and my weight fluctuated a lot. On Thursday (after rest day) I was 69.5, and I thought it was because of the sodium and the lack of bowel movements since SATURDAY! (Should I take digestive enzymes?).
    Then, after leg day (that is Friday) I was 69.5, with massive DOMS. One day later, on Saturday I was 69. Was it the water intake? The sodium? Who knows.

My week stats!
    Weight: 69kg
    Training days: 4 Nia Shanks' Train to be Awesome + rest day + walking 20000 steps before a dinner.
    Non-training days: walking, rest
    Aimed for 1900 kcal a day

Should eating 1900 kcal (I felt terribly full) be considered ok when I can't eat any more? This week I'm doing my best to hit the 2100…I'm afraid if I don't eat enough I will never reset my metabolism.

Also, should I do anything specific on Rest days? Power yoga, hiking… I don't want to sink in the sofa… But I don't want to overexercise...
  • heybales
    Options
    Walking is great for recovery, especially legs, gets blood flowing and aids healing. Of course 5 hrs of mountain hiking isn't the same.

You can't eat any more of the foods you have limited yourself to.
    Perhaps it's time to expand, perhaps your view of whatever you eat is based on some suggestions that aren't true.

Like, do you do low fat stuff? Usually means more carbs were added, plus fat is needed for good hormone balance and vitamin absorption.

200 calories is 2 servings of almonds during the day sometime, or less of the flavored ones. Hmmm, wasabi.

So is the TDEE level still correct for the new routine?

Correct the sore weigh-in day had retained water from the DOMS, so lighter than that really.
  • semproniana
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

You can't eat any more of the foods you have limited yourself to.
    Perhaps it's time to expand, perhaps your view of whatever you eat is based on some suggestions that aren't true.

I think I don't understand, I can't or can I? (wow my sentence is hellish I know). I'm struggling to eat new things: wholewheat pasta, quinoa, organic chocolate, more nuts, potato, cheese... But sometimes I have to fight the VLCD monster in my head.

Today I weighed in after rest day and I was 70 kg. I have been really hungry these days and have been eating 2100 as much as I could. I will keep you updated properly!
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, many times people say they can't eat any more food, even though they know they need to.
    But they have limited themselves from not eating certain foods, and therefore made it harder on themselves.
    And sometimes those limits aren't even good ones to have, like some go all low or non-fat stuff.

So good to see you are eating a variety, and it's a mental thing if actually hungry.

That's probably a sign the workouts are causing the body to try to make more improvements, and of course it wants more energy to accomplish them.
  • semproniana
    Options
    So, again I'm late for the log day!

I worked out on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and my weight fluctuated similarly to last week. On Thursday (after rest day) I was 70, and I went crazy.
    Then, after leg day (that is Friday) I was 69.7, with massive DOMS. One day later, on Saturday I was still 69,7. Was it the water intake again? The sodium again? On Sunday my TOM started, so maybe I was bloated from PMS.

My week stats!
    Weight: 69.7 kg
    Training days: 4 Nia Shanks' Train to be Awesome + rest day + a little yoga.
    Aimed for 2100 kcal a day (I went over 100 calories on saturday and sunday, but compared to my binges, that is a victory).

Is it ok if I try to make it a IIFYM approach when the weekend comes?
  • heybales
    Options
    I believe if you are getting enough nutritional value in, IIFYM works just fine. But poptarts and protein shakes only is other extreme where macros are hit but little to no micro-nutrients.

If that means increased sodium compared to normal, then that means increased water retained compared to normal, may have to find another valid weigh-in day.
  • Nadoriel
    Nadoriel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Heya Julia, just to wish you good luck with your journey :) I wonder, have you been measuring yourself? I say this because with all my weight losses and gains, atm I weight 2kg more than 3 months ago, but my measurements are the same. The scale can be really deceitful.

Also, we're kinda neighbours eheheh I'm from Portugal ^^ hard to maintain calories with so much good food around =P I'm kinda dying for bread with cheese and chorizo right now
  • semproniana
    Options
    Hey there! Thanks for reading me all along! Let me tell you the ups and downs of the week. During the last week, I tried to eat exactly 2,100 calories, trying to get my macros on point. The things, I always go overboard with the sugar (by 5 or 10 grams, is it something to worry about?), and seem to be short on the fats, must work on that!

I worked out on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and my weight fluctuated much more than last week. Take into account I was on TOM since last Sunday. On Thursday (after rest day) I was 70.7, and I went crazy AGAIN.
    Then, after leg day (that is Friday) I was 70.8, with DOMS (WHY?!?). One day later, on Saturday I was still 69,8. I must understand WHEN to weigh-in to stop going crazy!

My week stats!
    Weight: 69.8 kg
    Training days: 4 Nia Shanks' Train to be Awesome + rest day + a little yoga.
    Aimed for 2100 kcal a day (I went over sugar limits calories on sunday, but I'll keep trying).

Should I incorporate spinning classes? By the way, it's been 5 weeks following the same training, I want to keep with it for 1 week more. What should I do after that? NROL/NROLW? Starting cardio? Keep focusing on strenght?

By the way, thanks Nadoriel for your advice, I will start measuring myself when I get a good measuring tape!
  • heybales
    Options
    You mean why does weight go up with DOMS? Because what happens when you hurt yourself? Inflammation. Where is that swelling coming from? Water.
    Your muscles retain water to aid with repair.
    Eventually the DOMS will stop as an indicator, but you'll still have the water retained for repair if it was a good workout.

WHEN? Been mentioned - Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.
    Sounds like you have 2-3 potential days each week.

Sugar - don't even bother showing that stat, unless you have medical reason and Dr said to watch sugar. Just watch carbs otherwise by itself. You could eat nothing but vegetables and fruit and be way over on your sugar, so realy not useful.

Are you as strong as you can get with Nia? Why change? If it's not challenging, then you made mistake of not increasing the weight being lifting if this was one of her strength training videos.
    If you change the workout and add spinning or other cardio - your TDEE changes. Have to spend some time experimenting to nail that down again. Spinning and cardio it would go up a lot if you kept the strength training, up slightly if you replaced it.
    Suggest you keep it to help retain existing muscle mass.
  • semproniana
    Options
    No, no. I know why it happens, what I don't understand is why after rest day I'm 1 kilo up, and why after leg day and chest day I'm one kilo down (eating the same, watching sodium, drinking water,...). It seems my body considers chest day a deload or something!

Regarding the workout change, the thing is I would love to start something like stronglifts or NROLFW, not because Nia's not giving me results, but I think it is good to change routines every 6/7 weeks.
  • heybales
    Options
    I worked out on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and my weight fluctuated much more than last week.
    On Thursday (after rest day) I was 70.7, and I went crazy AGAIN.
    One day later, on Saturday I was still 69,8.

So repair can take 24-36 hrs (or longer) from a good workout. Having a rest day just helps minimize those known fluctuations. And it doesn't always kick in immediately after the workout. A bad nights sleep can delay the effect many times, as can lack of food. Just the way the body works.

When I come back in to lifting from cardio focus, muscles are still strong, but if I stupidly (each and every time almost) make that first workout hard on Monday, I'll be literally sore until Friday, and more often than not, I'll be awake all Friday night getting up every hour to use the restroom to get rid of extra water finally leaving.
    Sometimes still sore on Sat and still up in weight by couple lbs, but not the 5-7 I was earlier in week.

Compared to the much bigger leg muscles (4-5 x as upper body muscles easy), chest day is deload on the lower body.

Stronglifts is good, but you'll need to stick at it longer than 6-7 weeks. I'd suggest if you like to change that much, don't even waste time starting. The several weeks just to find working weight will be a deload basically, so that might be beneficial, but having a progressive program for a year to get out of beginner stage will usually include that too.
  • semproniana
    Options
    thanks, heybales! Your advice is always appreciated! (and it makes sense). The thing is I'm getting bigger and bigger as the days go by, I'm feeling a little discouraged, because I'm getting the exact opposite of what I want (I want to lose weight/inches). Nothing fits me anymore, but at the same time I tell myself this is meant to be a long journey, and I am willing to stick to it. Anyway, enought of that! Just trying to solve things for once and for all.
  • heybales
    Options
    So might review, just to confirm in one place.
    How long eating up near estimated TDEE now?
    Where did the TDEE figure come from?
    How long prior to this eating well below TDEE with little to no weight loss?

Because while true you can obviously eat above maintenance and slowly gain fat, for anyone with decent logging and awareness it's actually hard to eat a true 250-500 above current TDEE to cause it. And while fat gain can be spread out to entire body, that just means it would take even longer for say 1 lb to truly show up in a way to be noticed. Compared to say 1 lb being added only to the waist would be noticeable.
  • semproniana
    Options
    I have been eating near to 2100 calories (normally I get to 2000) for three to four weeks. In the beginning of this process (late August), I started upping my intake slowly from 1500, I kept eating no more than 1900 calories for a month and a half (coming from a past of VLCD and binge eating in the weekends, keto diets, paleo, you name it). Anyway, the first two months I dined out in the weekends and surpassed the calorie limit several times. Now I'm being strongly committed to my 2100 number, with a more IIFYM approach. And it is now that my weight is going up/stalling.

This number comes from scoobycalculator (from when I was 67kg). Now I have re-calculated it and it gives me:
    (Remember I'm 173 cm, 69 kg on my lowest days, and moderately active):
    -Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1628
    -TDEE 2524
    -TDEE 15% deficit 2145 (this means I'm eating at a 15% deficit though I'm gaining weight, because my body considers it a reset, isn't it)
    This makes me wonder, should I go for a full reset and eating at TDEE? Will it ruin it all (meaning: Will I gain even more weight)?

Now let me do a little flashback so you understand this.
    Four/five years ago I started dieting and working out. I went really VLCD, lots of cardio and """"""toning"""""" (girly dumbells hahaha). I lost 35 kg. I stopped at 59/60 kg. Then, three years later (after being a cardio bunny and a VVVLLLCD) I wanted to do a little body recomposition. I switched to low carb, then keto, then IF, then you name it. I started HIIT and weight training. My weight went up 4 kg. A good 4 kg of muscle. But then, my weekend cravings for carbs and such made me go overboard and started packing on kg. I discovered the CHEAT MEAL. I ate until I felt sick, and beyond. Take into account that during this whole time, during the week I never ate more than 1400 calories, avoiding carbs like crazy. This kept happening until last summer when I just felt lost amidst the ocean of fitness and diets. I was always cold, always letargic, cranky, hungry, sad, not hungry, moody, whatever. And then I thought, I must have RUINED my metabolism. In August I started eating more and started this post. I started at 67 kg. Now I'm fluctuating between 69 and 70, and I know it will take long. I do know. The thing is, how can I minimise the damage the reset will do to my body (repairing tissue, muscles, organs...) and make it a minimal weight gain? Shall I go for the full TDEE for once and for all? How can I avoid bloating and gaining inches?

I have been strenght training for two years now (though I had never lifted as much as I do now), but two months ago I decided to give up cardio almost totally except from moving constantly, making sure I get to walk for a while everyday, and saving my HIIT and extensive cardio for my cut, which who knows when it will come...

Thanks for reading me. You can't imagine how much does all this support mean to me.
  • heybales
    Options
    So very good with accurate logging of foods too then, weighing non-packaged stuff, doing the math on packaged stuff ("about 2 servings" could be 2.45 I've seen when actually dividing package weight by serving weight, even more when weighing what's actually in package!), getting the right entries in the database with correct info, ect.

I'm going to suggest you did not gain 4 kg of muscle. That would take a year eating in surplus with a progressive weight lifting routine for a woman. Sorry to disappoint.
    But the HIIT as encouragement to burn high carbs, and therefore store more for next time, can sure make muscles look bigger with carbs and attached water, and probably lost some fat showing them off, and of course you can increase lifted weight without gaining an ounce of new muscle, first gains in fact are better use of existing muscle by the CNS (Central Nervous System). Once that is topped out by increasing weight, then more muscle is needed.
    And your body can't add new muscle that requires more energy to make, but also more energy to maintain, if it's not getting enough energy in the first place.
    I'm convinced you had a suppressed daily burn then, the weekend eating, if over maintenance, not only topped off glucose stores with attached water, but added some fat too.

Metabolism is doing exactly what it is intended to do. Hormones first slow down your daily activity so you burn less daily.
    If that doesn't leave enough calories for lower level functions, then metabolism for higher level functions slow down, this is when muscle mass is lost too.
    If that compensation doesn't leave enough for lower level functions, then those are done slower. But can only slow that down so much.
    At that point, body just becomes more efficient burning calories in everything you do, so daily burn is even lower. But it can only improve things by about 20%.
    Keep eating too little eventually you will lose weight, fat and muscle.

So I'm really thinking you need a BMR and TDEE based on bodyfat %, because indeed, you may be eating above a better estimated TDEE right now. Even when using a Fitbit, it is assuming average amount of LBM, and it can be thrown off.
    Mine would read too low if I didn't adjust it. I guess that would be one way to lose weight while thinking I'm eating at deficit, but I'd rather know about where the deficit is for better training reasons.
    You attempted my spreadsheet yet on my profile page to get best estimate of BMR and TDEE?
    Stay on Simple Setup and Progress tab only. Delete all sample data in yellow cells once done looking at it. Enter your own stats.

Just make sure your IIFYM's approach still results in good accurate logging.
  • semproniana
    Options
    According to your spreadsheet (calculating it at 69 kg):
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): 1.428
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE): 2.157
    Total Daily Eating Goal (TDEG): 1.710 21% deficit

Body composition Right now:
    34,06 U.S. Navy Circumference Method
    21,18 Covert Bailey "Fit or Fat" book Method
    27,62 Avgerage body fat % of the two to four methods

• heybales
    Options
    So both those BF calc's use mainly different body parts, so the spread being that big means it's not really accurate yet, but as fat comes off you'll usually see more movement on one side than the other. Avg then shifts one direction or another as accuracy improves.

But it's a better place to start. And you did enter that 27.6% in to the cell asking for BF% measurement?

So TDEE 2157 with current workout by best estimate.
    I'd suggest going through your past eating logs and look at what the true average eating level has been for past 4 weeks doing same type of workouts, and hopefully not that much eating out since it has such potential for being inaccurate. Make sure you start and end with valid weigh-in days.
    Progress tab has a TDEE calc there, with place to enter in that daily eaten amounts, and give you an average. What was your true average?
    And if you had no weight loss but rather gain, use a negative number for lbs lost. Yes, must convert to lbs.

It will tell you what to change in the Activity Calculator to make the TDEE come out the same.
    What TDEE did that come up with?

Curious how far out it is from 2157, and how far out from what you ate.