What was your wakeup call?

Options
2»

Replies

• jltheis7
    jltheis7 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    And chilly1470, thank you. I think that I started the post because I needed to remind myself of my own aha moment as it happened a while ago and connect with the support of other MFP users who also had that moment. I often wonder about how people decide to pursue surgical procedures. I imagine many do so for medical reasons as well as emotional reasons. I do know it is not my choice even though I have met a number of people who have experienced significant weight loss that way. Everyone has to seek their own truth; the weight loss intervention that works for you is awareness and accountability through tracking; how awesome that your wife mentioned MFP and you have had success. I hope that you continue on your road to health and you get to enjoy a long life with your family. Be well!
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks I appreciate that! We're walking along slowly at about 5 miles a day now and I'm quite impressed with that so far!
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    At work we moved to a new office, everyone's desks got shuffled around. Now whenever I walk to my desk (so 20+ times a day) I can see my full-length reflection in the boardroom window. That was my wake-up call.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I fractured my 5th metatarsal. Mid foot part of the pinky toe. No weight for 2.5 months. Getting around even with crutches was extremely difficult.
    Weight loss was recommended for the pain.
    And the I went and saw a general doctor. And found that my heart was having a hard time with the extra weight, though settles quickly. Also a slight murmur.
    Though the heart stuffs not really shocking, family is full of heart problems. Maybe I can take care of it before it gets worse.
  • jltheis7
    Options
    to dbeaut: well that must have been an eye-opening experience. I hope that you are now enjoying seeing the success of getting healthy every time you walk past.
  • jltheis7
    Options
    To Rottified: The reality of hearing your doctor tell you some uncomfortable truths that inside you already know is humbling in my experience. I have a great doctor who is able to be honest with me while not demeaning or judgmental for being overweight. I hope yours is just as supportive. I know that losing weight helped me lessen my joint pain, heartburn, and back aches a lot. I hope you can heal your heart enough to overcome genetics.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It really was.
    It was my first time seeing him but he was very nice and honest. Liked the idea of me on here. The orthopedic doctor I was seeing on the other hand was an *kitten*. He had a bad attitude and after talking with a few other people I found that that was just the way he is.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    2 years ago or so at 318 - I saw a video of myself and was just disgusted. I'm one of those people who look in their mirror and think I don't look that bad. Yeah...so I started fixing my life and my relationship with food which was mainly just a fast food addiction. I started going to the gym nearly everyday and lost 30 lbs in 3 months and maintained for a year. This year and after having my son, I stepped on the scale and saw 318 again. That's my magic number I guess. I was off of work for the summer because I work in the schools and I said to myself, "Look. You can either sit around all day and get fat this summer or change your life." and guess what I chose? 80 days in roughly and 26 pounds down and counting.
  • tuzaque
    tuzaque Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Couldn't climb the stairs without panting for breath, when I go up stairs I won't want to come down, and when I go out and come back in I don't go up until am ready for bed, with lots of back aches and swollen feet and had two shape pains in my chest, slowly I couldn't fit into my cloths, even the new ones I got this summer while I was in the USA , I just knew it was time to take hold of my life, it's not easy but am taking it one day at a time.
  • jltheis7
    Options
    to whatsherface: You want this so you'll do it; you have a lot of reasons to take control and make it different, the least of which is you are a Mom and have so many life experiences to share with your child as long as you are physically able to. I want that for you! Be well!
  • jltheis7
    Options
    Couldn't climb the stairs without panting for breath, when I go up stairs I won't want to come down, and when I go out and come back in I don't go up until am ready for bed, with lots of back aches and swollen feet and had two shape pains in my chest, slowly I couldn't fit into my cloths, even the new ones I got this summer while I was in the USA , I just knew it was time to take hold of my life, it's not easy but am taking it one day at a time.

You deserve a pain free life that doesn't limit you. Change just one small thing and see if you feel better. Experience that for awhile and then change one more thing and enjoy that too. Open yourself up to what you can do!
  • kmsnyg
    kmsnyg Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had two big things:

1). I couldn't fit well into my seat at a football game, my hips were so wide I bruised myself trying to fit into the seat.

2). I started to have knee pain in one of my knees that I had injured as a kid. Turns out I have pretty bad arthritis in that knee, and I'm only 37. I don't want to need a knee replacement, I'm too young.
  • jltheis7
    Options
    I had two big things:

1). I couldn't fit well into my seat at a football game, my hips were so wide I bruised myself trying to fit into the seat.

2). I started to have knee pain in one of my knees that I had injured as a kid. Turns out I have pretty bad arthritis in that knee, and I'm only 37. I don't want to need a knee replacement, I'm too young.

Sorry it took so long to reply. So you had a in your face aha moment and a slower wake up wake up moment. I hope you are successful at losing and avoiding/putting off knee replacement. I do know several people who had it done in their 50s and 60s and it made a tremendous difference in their lives.

I took time to read through my weightloss journals; I find myself facing some of the same stressful issues that led to my horrible breakdown that was my wakeup call. I also reread everyone's posts here. I don't know why but it helps to know I am not the only one. So thanks again everyone for opening up and sharing what brought you here.