Plant-based, low carb, high fat or something else?

Options
I am finding that diet is almost a religious subject for people with diabetes. I am still investigating, but my preliminary conclusion is to focus on low fat, low cholesterol, and weight loss. The obvious fact seems to be that people with diabetes who lose weight significantly improve their condition. I would love to hear from people who have found a diet that is helping them manage their diabetes and overall health. FYI: I know my diet needs to improve so I don't need any feedback on my food diary right now. :)

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I feel you on the food diary. It's been a little over 3 months and mine still needs improvement! I haven't found a "perfect" diet for me but it's working right now. I know it was a little better when I stayed under 180 carbs per day. I am watching calories and losing weight. I also do cardio and strength training which helps my blood sugar a lot. I haven't watched the fat. It really hasn't made a difference. My cholesterol has lowered on it's own since I've been doing the other stuff.
  • Caharleygirl
    Caharleygirl Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You should try to get your doctor to refer you to a dietician or a certified diabetes educator(CDE)...they can help you a lot. Everyone here has their own opinion on what works for them...we are all different and what works for one may not work for another.

My personal experience has been that counting carbs and watching my macronutrients works...I try to eat about 140 gm of carbs a day and stay around 40% Carb, 25% Protein, and 35% Fat and it is working good. My A1C's are down and I feel good so that is what matters to me and my CDE.

FYI: I was on a higher protein plan and was losing weight faster but my kidneys started showing some distress so the doc said to cut it down. To which I replied...if I can't have too many carbs and too much protein...what should I eat? The answer was to increase my healthy fats to my surprise. So avocados and nuts for me...yum!!! lol
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Caharleygirl that you should get your diet plan from a dietician or your doctor. I'm starting the ketogenic diet today. And this has been approved by my doctor and dietician. Also, you should be taking your BG levels and seeing how different food combinations and foods affect your blood sugar and what times of day you should eat certain foods.

For example, if I eat 10 or more carbs for breakfast, I have a problem regulating my blood sugar for the rest of the day. I'm almost 0 carbs until lunch time. I have hyperinsulinism, so regulating my blood sugar is very difficult.
  • Nomoremrbigguy
    Nomoremrbigguy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am glad you found something that works for you. :)
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It is interesting talking to other diabetics. We all tend to have our little secret methods of success.

I have to watch my cholesterol so it's a delicate balance. In terms of importance, managing my cholesterol is a little higher than diabetes. That's not to say my diabetes takes a back seat but I've found by managing my cholesterol, my diabetes stays in check and I keep good numbers.

My first week of diagnosis I eliminated all processed food, starches, wheat, and sugars (and artificial sweeteners) from my diet. I was able to speak with a dietician who specialized in diabetes during that week and we worked on a plan. The first thing I added back in was steel cut oats in the morning. I think (or hope) it's safe to say steel cut oatmeal is universally recognized as the one carbohydrate that can be beneficial to a diabetic (and for managing cholesterol). I then added low glycemic fruits and finally added a serving of quinoa a few times a week and half a sweet potato a few times a week. The remainder of my carbs come from vegetables. On a very rare occasion, I will have a portion of whole wheat bread but after I had a weird sensation upon eating bread last week, I don't see myself eating bread for a while.

For fats, I use olive oil, eat avocados, and nuts a few times a week. I also take a prescribed fish oil twice a day. I also have 1 whole egg in the morning with a half a cup of egg whites.

My starting diabetes numbers were: fasting glucose: 132/ A1C 7.0
    My recent follow up numbers in the beginning of july were: fasting glucose: 94/ A1C 6.2

My biggest jump was my triglycerides went from a whopping 465 down to a 225. I'm still out of the normal range but I'm confident they will be normal for my next lab work in October.

Speaking of food choices, I have a quick story. At my last diabetes support group, the guest speaker brought Dunkin-freakin-Donuts to the meeting. I thought it was a joke or there were hidden cameras on us. Some of the members dove into those things like they were the only thing they had eaten all day. I pulled out my almond butter on celery and grinned at the guest speaker.
  • Nomoremrbigguy
    Options
    I go back to the doctor in a couple weeks. I definitely need to talk to him about monitoring my blood sugar and seeing a nutritionist.
  • Nomoremrbigguy
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. My starting numbers are very similar to yours. 122 and 7.0. I am shocked by the Dunkin Donuts. Did he explain himself?
  • Peloton73
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. My starting numbers are very similar to yours. 122 and 7.0. I am shocked by the Dunkin Donuts. Did he explain himself?

The guest speaker for that night was a "life coach" so it wasn't diabetic specific but more of a how to stay motivated in life and stuff like that. The doctor who runs the group did a face palm when he saw the donuts. After the meeting, he said it never occurred to him to tell the guest speaker not to bring donuts to a diabetic support group. It's just kinda assumed. LOL.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I really like the discussion about finding an eating plan that helps manage diabetes as well as cholesterol, high blood pressure, etc. Sometimes we focus so much on diabetes that we forget about overall good health which often means eating a less processed, more plant-based diet but of course with many individual variations. I love the story about the speaker bringing donuts to the meeting. It could have been a really interesting discussion: how do you feel when you're in a meeting and the only food available is donuts, or cookies, or something that you are trying to avoid eating? What's the best way to get through these types of situations? Peleton73 you planned ahead and handled the situation beautifully! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • TelJanin
    TelJanin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What's the best way to get through these types of situations?

I tell myself, 'If I eat that, I will die." Then the temptation goes away.
  • Peloton73
    Options

I tell myself, 'If I eat that, I will die." Then the temptation goes away.

I kinda tell myself the same thing. I always say I'm one plate of pasta away from having diabetic numbers again.
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed I was weighing in a donut shy of 350 pounds. I can only assume that many of us were in the same (overloaded) boat. At my first Diabetic counseling session, it was pointed out to me that I was easily eating around 3500 calories a day just to maintain the weight I was at.

My counselor suggested I drop down to 2200 calories a day and proceed from there. She told me I needed to eat no more than 60-75 grams of carbs at any meal which works out to 180-225 Grams of carbs per day. She then handed me an ADA book on controlling diabetes. also included was a book on nutrition and which foods counted as carbs, fat, and protein. This is a great book to start out with by the way.

Any how the funny thing is when you do the math to stay around 2000 calories a day you naturally will have a hard time exceeding your macro nutrients. Of course it is possible to exceed your carbohydrate numbers but you almost need to make a conscious decision to do that.

I currently eat around 1800 calories and I work out for around a half hour a day. I seldom exceed 150 grams of carbs. I have lost a substantial amount of weight. I am sure my cholesterol numbers have improved simply from my diet and exercise. I feel better than I have in years. My BG numbers seldom exceed 130 at any time usually I am at 110 or less 2 hours after eating. My A1c numbers went from 6.7 to 5.3. The only foods I am really avoiding are the refined carbs Bread, Pasta, White Rice.

I guess my point to this whole story is, the key for me and I would guess many of us (not all by any means) to control our diabetes is to just eat properly in the right proportions.

The only thing I miss is the whole pint of ice cream I was eating every night. And possibly the huge plate of pasta I would eat twice a week, and maybe the Friday night deep dish pizza from Lou Malnati's or Geno's East. The things I don't miss however tight clothes, being out of breath, and feeling generally crappy all the time are well worth the effort.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    What wonderful success you've created for yourself Alsvic! You've found an eating plan that fits your needs and you enjoy feeling healthier. Good for you! ~Lynn /Glucerna