Help planning for firefighter agility requirements?

Options
Hi there.

I am turning 40 this year (am female, btw), and have it on my bucket list to do EMT training.

In order to train and volunteer as an EMT in either the city or the fire district where I work, I have to apply, pass a physical agility test, and get accepted into the local fire academy, then volunteer for one year as a firefighter before they will consider sending me to EMT training.

I've had an interest in emergency medicine for a long time and have worked as an emergency room social worker and crisis mental health worker. The Wilderness First Responder training I did two years ago was some of the best training I've had in anything, ever. I'm also interested in EMT training because I'm considering going back to school to cross-train as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner. (I'm currently a licensed clinical social worker).

Here's my question.

How do I get from my current fitness level, able to complete most of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred with 2# weights plus a lot of 3mph walking, to the point where I can pass the agility test for becoming a firefighter? I have about a year to get there given the timing of open application time vs when the agility test is given.

Here's a link to the requirements: http://www.oakharbor.org/uploads/documents/4990agilitytestprocedures.pdf

The elements are:
-climbing 100ft areal ladder at 70 degree incline
-beam walk with 25# load
-chin ups (definitely a problem area)
-squats with 90# load (as many as possible)
-bicep curl with 60# load (as many as possible)
-incline shoulder press 60# load (as many as possible)
-lat pulls 70# load (as many as possible)
-sit and reach flexibility (easy peasy)
-abdominal curl (basically a sit up but hands on your thighs instead of behind your head, as many as possible in 1 minute... I could baseline this now and do SUBSTANTIALLY better than before I started 30 Day Shred)
-1 mile walk/run in a maximum of 12 minutes (I can walk at a good pace forever, running makes me want to hurl)

I know the easy answer is just shell out tuition at the community college, but I think it would be bad *kitten* if I could qualify for fire training at 40.

Thanks for any helpful, realistic advice. Where do I start?!? I haven't lifted weights in more than 20 years when I played HS basketball and know next to nothing.

ETA: Did I mention the helmet and overalls are SEXY?!? :D

Replies

• blinkblink16
    blinkblink16 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to pass fire department agility tests right now too, and I have a few suggestions on some of these. You sound like you're in somewhat better shape than I am, btw.

1. Ladder climb - I've done that one at my volunteer department. Not a huge deal fitness-wise, more of a fear of heights weed-out. It's a bit of a workout, but nothing to worry about.
    2. Beam walk - not sure what that is.
    3. Chin ups - I'm with you on that one. If that were a requirement for me I'd be in trouble. Do you have access to a gym with a pull-up assist machine? That way you could work up to where you're doing them unassisted.
    4. The next 4 - I would just start at a weight you know you can do and work up. Not too fast, but still giving yourself a challenge and a certain amount of muscle fatigue.
    5. Curls - Do a whole lot of them. I can't speak to the validity of this website, but I like 200situps.com and its various iterations (100 pushups, squats, etc.). It gives you a guide to increasing your amounts and such.
    6. Walk/run - Couch to 5k might be a good program to try. I know I'm going to need to improve my running if I get accepted into a fire academy. A 12-minute mile is about my pace at the moment.

I hope some of this helps. Joining a volunteer fire department is by far one of the best decisions I've ever made. Have fun and enjoy the ride!
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts. :)

I like that you're doing volunteer roles that aren't firefighter. What kind of things do you do?
  • leneveu2
    leneveu2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Run. When you get tired, Run again and further. Then when exhausted and think you can go no more RUN again. Then you might be ready.
  • vbuell997
    vbuell997 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a retired EMT/firefighter in SC. Why are you going to the fire service to become a EMT?