Just plain funny!

Options
Joannah700
Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
Anyone have any good recommendations for funny books?

I love funny.

Off the top of my head I think of...

Douglas Adams, Christopher Moore for the sci-fi/fantasy contemporary novels.

Janet Evanovich, Sophie Kinsella, Penny Reid, Rachel Gibson, Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Tessa Bailey for contemporary romantic fiction.

Darynda Jones, Shelly Laurenston/G.A Aiken and Kresley Cole for the supernatural, werewolf, fantasy funnies.

Sigh. I like happy endings and romances in any genre from sci fi to mystery will practically guarantee a happy ending. But...but sometimes I don't want romance! There, I said it.

So funny books recommendations - with or without romance. Happy endings would be appreciated. Please share.

Replies

• angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any right now, but would love to hear of other recommendations.
  • caseyjarryn
    caseyjarryn Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Have you read Terry Pratchet?
  • angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Jennifer Weiner, Katie Fforde - for light romantic comedies
  • Joannah700
    Options
    @Casey, I own all the Trry Pratchett books but never got into the first one. Maybe I need to give it another chance?

@Angela, I think I've read all of Jennifer Wiener's books, but never Katie Ford. I'll have to check her out.
  • jkbarrack
    jkbarrack Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Tom Sharpe

I just about pee'd myself when I read Porterhouse Blue. His Wilt books are funny too. Good light read. :)
  • Joannah700
    Options
    Books that will make me pee myself. Yes. I will check this book out.
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Funniest book I read so far was *kitten* My Dad Says by Justin Halpern.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    if you like real life awkward humor, David Sedaris is fantastic, especially if you listen to him read it. And if you like those, check out Jonathan Tropper - his stories are fiction but are written in the same style. Actually JT's book This Is Where I Leave You is now a movie - can't wait to see it!

The Betsy the Vampire Queen books by MaryJanice Davidson are pretty funny. There is definitely some romance but it's not over the top.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    I started the Betsy the Vampire series but then tapered off. I got annoyed by all the shoe references. :/

BUT I thought Mary Janice Davidson's Alaskan royalty and the werewolf series were hilarious.

I will definitely add David Sedaris to the list.

And if you like MaryJanice Davidson you might like R.L. Mathewson's neighbor series. Her characters are so over the top it's ridiculous.
  • dlcoaching
    dlcoaching Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi !

One of the funniest book I have read is The Yes Man by Danny Wallace. It has nothing to do with the hapless Holiwood movie that is based on this book.
    After suffering a break-up, a man gets advice from a fellow passenger, on a bus. His advice is that the heartbroken man, Danny, should be more open to life's opportunity, that he should say Yes more often. He decides to do just that for one year. Mayhem happens. Remember the Prince in prison scam....
    Have fun !
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good recommendations for funny books?

I love funny.

Off the top of my head I think of...

Douglas Adams, Christopher Moore for the sci-fi/fantasy contemporary novels.

Janet Evanovich, Sophie Kinsella, Penny Reid, Rachel Gibson, Susan Elizabeth Phillips and Tessa Bailey for contemporary romantic fiction.

Darynda Jones, Shelly Laurenston/G.A Aiken and Kresley Cole for the supernatural, werewolf, fantasy funnies.

Sigh. I like happy endings and romances in any genre from sci fi to mystery will practically guarantee a happy ending. But...but sometimes I don't want romance! There, I said it.

So funny books recommendations - with or without romance. Happy endings would be appreciated. Please share.

I like Peter Mayle's books. He's an Englishman who lives in France. His fish out water experiences aren't side splitting, laugh out loud, but you'll smile and chuckle.

I liked the book he did from his dog's point of view. It's called "A Dog's Life". Probably one of the funniest books in his Provence series. The dog's comments about other dogs, cats and the humans in his life are mean and funny.
  • Joannah700
    Options

I like Peter Mayle's books. He's an Englishman who lives in France. His fish out water experiences aren't side splitting, laugh out loud, but you'll smile and chuckle.

I liked the book he did from his dog's point of view. It's called "A Dog's Life". Probably one of the funniest books in his Provence series. The dog's comments about other dogs, cats and the humans in his life are mean and funny.

For some reason that has me thinking of Brain in Pinky and the Brain.

Thanks for these recommendations everyone, I hope I'm not the only one benefiting.
  • jkbarrack
    jkbarrack Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Thanks for these recommendations everyone, I hope I'm not the only one benefiting.

I definatly am! Got a good list to check out now. Thank you :)
  • dfoss012
    Options
    I have recently discovered Jamie Farrell, Ava Miles, and Katy Regnery. All three write contemporary romance. They will make you laugh...make you cry...and always a happily ever after. You can check them out on Facebook - they interact with their readers all the time. Their books are great, and they are awesome ladies. :flowerforyou:
  • lillithfair4
    Options
    If you haven't read "Lamb: The Gospel According To Biff" by Christopher Moore I highly recommend that you do. It's absolutely hilarious and irreverent without being offensive if you're christian. I've reread it several times and it still has me rolling on the floor. :)