Day 29: August 17

Options
PatrickB_87
PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
I'm just about to run out the door so I though I would get the day started.

50 miles, here I come!

Replies

• artelyn
    artelyn Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good Luck Rat!!
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to hear about your ride today Pat!!!

Getting my steps in today. Hope you all have a great day!!
  • KarenZen
    KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Very exciting! I hope we get pictures and maps again!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Good morning almost afternoon duckies!
    Cold and rainy here, again. Bleh. Hoping for a break this afternoon for a long swim. In the meantime, my neighbors (Lily, 7, and Stella, 3) have invited me to come over and work on fairy houses at 1:00. Fun!

Hope you are all well and taking good care of your bodies today.

K.
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Well I am back, well I was back and hour and a half ago but it took me that long to work my way upstairs.

I will happily post a map. No real pictures as it was a loop ride so no interesting destinations. Unless you think the Bay Area Rapid Transit ticket machines are interesting.
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Here is a link to the ride on Strava if you want to take a closer look, though some of the numbers are off. http://www.strava.com/activities/181649740

Today was my experiment with group riding and I am glad I got that out of my system because I think I am simply better off riding on my own. I found a group on Meetup that was doing local rides and this was suppose to be a slow pace ride. I got up at 5am so I could be heading out the door by 6:30am. I am not a morning person but It's what need to happen if I was going to get to the halfway point by 9am.

I was excited for the prospects of riding with others but as I imagined would happen I simply couldn't keep up. By the time we started I was already 24 miles in and a bit tired. Plus the ride out till we reach the next city is almost all uphill at a slight gradient. It was enough to put me in the back and eventually well behind. Being on a mountain bike didn't help.

I thought I would enjoy the companionship (says the loner) and the push to keep up. But in the end I decided to stop and simply go at my own pace (which isn't 15mph). I'm not disappointed, I'm glad I figured it out. I don't really care the speed (though going fast is really nice), I'm more interested in the destination and how far I am going. I'm happy to go far and slow. They can keep their road bikes. (though it was also a reminder that I really need a new bike).

In all it was a really nice ride. The weather was great, and by the time I got close to the end of my 50 miles I felt like I could keep going if I needed to. Which is a lot better then how I felt about the 45 mile ride. So things are improving in their own way. Besides, since having a conversation with my fat the weekend before last, 10lbs have decided to vacate.

1z3qjip.png
    It is hard to tell from the map but the ride was to the end point and back, no trips to the water this time.

I will have to choose someplace more scenic for the next ride.

23kw9bo.jpg
    vndzic.jpg
  • KarenZen
    Options
    What an accomplishment, Pat!!! Not just the fifty miles, which is amazing, but putting yourself out there for a group bike ride! Nicely done.
    K.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Well done Pat....AND losing 10 pounds too!!!! Really a great accomplishment...like Karen said...not only going the distance, but 'putting yourself out there' and giving something 'new' a shot!!!! Congrats!!! I bet you are going to FEEL the burn soon!!!

Nancy...were the temp on yahoo says (at 0400 am) it is 98 F and with the 75% humidity it is suppose to feel like 111F....and the temp is going to rise this week!! Heavens....the blood humidity has finally kicked it...stays this way til end of Sept usually.
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm completely wiped out, which is exactly how I want to be. Nothing like that feeling that you gave it your all.
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Wow Pat. What an amazing accomplishment! Congrats. I did a beach ride with my husband a couple of weeks ago. I feel bad that I hold his pace back, but I am glad he encourages me to exercise. We did about 7 miles and it kicked my *kitten*! LOL But I am enjoying riding more with a new seat that doesn't have the middle pointy part to bruise me 'down there.' My husband asked me to do a ride with him in October, but he will do 25 miles and I will do 15. Need to train a little more now that I am back from vacation. ;)

AFM: I did pretty well on vacation last week. I exercised every day and stayed under my 1500 calorie goal. I had some bad PMS cravings again this month. I ate a few bites of the family sweets, but logged them. I think 2 bites of something over 2 servings or more of something is great progress, considering it didn't set off a binge. I ended up gaining 4 pounds the last week, but it doesn't surprise me at all because my cycle came on Friday. I usually gain 7-8 pounds of water weight. I am in much better psychological state this cycle than I was with my gain last cycle. Deep down I know the weight I gained plus more will drop off...it is inevitable by my calorie deficit and commitment. Now, to work on patience. ;)

I have decided this week to work on my water intake and also stay supportive here. Looking forward to the next challenge, but for now will just tag along. ;)
  • PatrickB_87
    Options
    Hi Shari,

Welcome back and thanks. I am glad to see someone else is enjoying the bike. I have been thinking about trying a noiseless saddle to help with the discomfort. Good luck with the longer ride.

Keep up the good work.