Nightshades, are they PALEO?

Options
Here is a complete list of NIghtshades i found from PALEO MOM's blog ( My question is this.. IF you can tolerate it.. is it PALEO ?? )
I specifically ask because I eat Heavenly Villagio Marzano Tomatos alot. I eat them alone and make tomato sauce out of them.. I also use Paprika and Eat Hot peppers as well as things like BADIA Sriracha ( no sugar )...

Ashwagandha
Bell peppers (a.k.a. sweet peppers)
Bush tomato
Cape gooseberry (also known as ground cherries—not to be confused with regular cherries)
Cocona
Eggplant
Garden huckleberry (not to be confused with regular huckleberries)
Goji berries (a.k.a. wolfberry)
Hot peppers (such as chili peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, chili-based spices, red pepper, cayenne)
Kutjera
Naranjillas
Paprika
Pepinos
Pimentos
Potatoes (but not sweet potatoes)
Tamarillos
Tomatillos
Tomatoes

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Pro tip -- if you ever want to find out if a given food is Paleo, you simply need to type that question into Google. The vast majority of the time, the first few hits will be from one of the big names in Paleo and will provide the information not only that answers the question, but also explains why.

Generally speaking, following the Paleo flowchart will also answer your question for the vast majority of whole foods -- http://visual.ly/paleo-diet-flowchart

That said, yes nightshades are standard Paleo. They are restricted on AIP and some of the more restrictive versions, due to the compounds in nightshades being a common issue for people. If you have been Paleo for a while and still have health problems, it's often prudent to try cutting out nightshades for a while to see if they have any effect.

Also, all peppers, not just the hot ones, are nightshades. Bell peppers are capsacians, too, they're just a mutation that doesn't have capsacian.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    The reason i ask is because i see it on all PALEO websites. but i could not determine if they just want us to know WHAT nighshades are or that they are included or which are PALEO.....???

Thanks for the Reference.. I will look it up... :flowerforyou:

I cant say ENOUGH how much more helpful this BLOG has been (talking to REAL people) then trying to determine if what i read on line is true or not..

THANK YOU
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Nightshades are a whole, unprocessed food. Yes, they are "Paleo". But, like many foods, healthy for some and not for others.

Nightshades are something that I had to eliminate briefly to fully resolve joint problems, but now I eat them in moderation meaning not every day and not in huge amounts. If my joint pain comes back, bye bye nightshades for a little while and then carefully reintroduce them while monitoring effects.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you mus ALWAYS capitilize PALEO?
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    since their are so many forums..... Its just so i can see it better.. and recognize which are my posts at a glance
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    since their are so many forums..... Its just so i can see it better.. and recognize which are my posts at a glance

When you post in this forum, we are all Paleo/Primal. Imo, if you agree with this lifestyle you would be best off not asking certain things in the general forums where the answer to everything in the universe is "calories in/calories out"; unless you want to continually be second guessing everything and that is useful for you. Personally, my health improvements are all the evidence I need to know that what I am doing is right for me.

Also, beside the title the name of the original Poster is there. You will see your own name on all the posts that you initiated.
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    I guess that makes sense. I find it distracting, that's why I asked.
  • maria_antoinette
    Options
    Sorry about that.. I wont Capatalize it again.. I am new, so getting the hang of it
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    :wink: In internet "language" capitilzation is considered yelling.