Carbs are Not created Equal

Options
Question.. I am playing around with how many carbs i should be eating to maintain... I am assuming 30-100 is good..

My question to all you PALEO experts out their.... Since i dont usually go over 35 and i want to eat more carbs.... What should i add to my diet..

If i add a 1/2 tablespoon of organic honey ... thats like 8 carbs and 17 Dark Chocolate chips 8 carbs... ( is that BAD ?) will that hinder my maintenance... provided of course i can tolerate it...

I am eating one four once sweet potatoe a day.. should i DOUBLE THAT ??

in other words... what have YOU done to add carbs that did not hinder your weight loss or maintenence..

Replies

• carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-succeed-with-the-primal-blueprint/#axzz3At6IGrAj

I like this graphic. It's been how I deal with carbs since starting Paleo. I keep it under 100 grams and have lost weight every week except when I was on vacation and had 2-3 days off plan.

Of course, I don't do grains at all so my carbs are all fruit and veggie carbs. And honestly, I don't freak out if I go over because I ate a banana.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou:
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Thank you Carrieann for the link. I have had a quick look at it and already I have discovered I am in the "Insidious Weight Gain zone" without realising what I have been doing. I eat fairly well most of the time but those little treats and cheats are taking their toll with my weight slowly increasing over the years.

"150-300 grams a day: Insidious Weight Gain zone. Most health conscious eaters and unsuccessful dieters end up here, due to frequent intake of sugar and grain products (breads, pastas, cereals, rice, potatoes – even whole grains). Despite trying to “do the right thing” (minimize fat, cut calories), people can still gain an average of 1.5 pounds of fat every year for decades."

The above is me!! I will take more care and concentrate on those carbs a bit more for the moment and check out the full article tomorrow when I have more time.

Thanks once again for a starting point. :smile:
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I don't think 150 grams a day is automatically "insidious weight gain" for everyone. That's really not that high. 300, yes, that's a lot.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't think 150 grams a day is automatically "insidious weight gain" for everyone. That's really not that high. 300, yes, that's a lot.

I agree Nutmeg that 150grams is not high but I have been fluffing around now for three weeks with not much downward direction in my weight so I think as long as I keep up sufficient protein, healthy fats and generally eat well it might be worth a go. I do seem to have hit a maintenance level at the moment.

Writing down all my food in the diary has been an eye opener. I eat well but I eat way too much. My day starts at 5.30am and I seem to be having 4 meals a day.

I started the 30 Day Challenge and bombed out after a couple of days. Advice - never start a challenge on a weekend!! I have been trying to inspire my friends and workmates to start to get fit and in shape for summer and have been telling them "Well I'm on Myfitnesspal - what are you doing?" Very naughty of me I know as apart from writing in my diary, I haven't really done much. I'm still thinking about the exercise part of things.:embarassed:
    I tell them to start with getting rid of one bad habit to begin with.

Oh well, I have their best interests at heart and yesterday I was rewarded with one lass telling that because of my "nagging" she is giving up coffee. I was a bit surprised as she told me she only has about three a day but added that they were iced coffees with ice cream and cream. Now that is a start!!
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options

in other words... what have YOU done to add carbs that did not hinder your weight loss or maintenence..

I’m no Paleo expert, and not on maintenance, but If I were to add honey to my eating, I wouldn’t lose, but cacao choc. hasn’t been a problem for me. I eat less than 50g carbs and started to lose again. When I start back adding the carbs, it will likely be berries, and higher glycemic veggies.

You'll have to use the trial and error method to see what works and doesn't for your body
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    No expert here either but after dropping my carbs down below 25 for three days and realizing that wasn't going to work for me, I get my carbs from fruit, usually a smoothie in the morning with coconut oil ~ example, banana or berry mix, spinach, 2 tbls coconut oil, coconut water then I eat vegs with lunch and dinner.