optical swimming goggles

cw106
cw106 Posts: 952 Member
just had my annual eye test and saw swimming goggles with optics up to -5.
quick chat with the optician who also uses them, and have just ordred a pair of -4. should be perfect for me.
although not prescription, to be able too see other swimmers and pesky stragglers will be a huge improvement.
cant believe i didnt know about these.
anyone use them too?

Replies

• Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Funnily enough, I just ordered two pairs, two days ago. I have really poor vision (-8.5 and -11.5), and I couldn't buy higher than -8, but hopefully that will be enough to help me see the buoy in the open water event I'm doing next month. (And yet not weak enough to give me headaches.) I knew these things existed, but I was under the impression that they were prohibitively expensive. Imagine my surprise when I discovered they're only about 20 bucks!
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Last night I swam with the optical goggles for the first time. It was awesome!! I could read the signs at the pool, and see every crack or chip on the pool's bottom! And I can clearly see all the way across the pool, from one side to the other! Some of you probably take that for granted, but I'm really myopic so this was a revelation.

I'm going to enjoy being able to see whether or not anybody is in the lane before I get into it. My strategy up until now has been to check it out from the sidelines, with my glasses, then take them off and put them down and hope nobody hops in before I reach the lane. Now I can actually visually assess that at the last minute.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    I have the same problem!
    Pretty much blind in the pool!
  • cw106
    tried and tested today. fantastic to be able to see clearly.
    a major boon to any swimmer imo.
    cost £18 from asda (part of walmart). opticians in the uk.
  • cw106
    After a recent clean up,same goggles still going strong.