My blisters are getting blisters...

Options
We all know that marathon training does some FUNKY stuff to our bodies. Blisters, chafing, emergency sprints to the bathroom following a long training run...

I've had to change my running shorts to eliminate the inner thigh chafing, and haven't been able to avoid getting a blister on the very tip of one of my toes. A combination of ouch and gross.

What challenges have you all had to overcome with your 26.2 training??!

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    All the things you listed above, yes. I also lost 8 toenails after running my first marathon. I have had IT band problems, a pulled groin, a dislocated toe (not from running but it kept me from training) a PF issue, sore achilles, this phantom side pain that didn't go away for about 6 months and athlete's foot.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Tip rash.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The blisters... UGH! I can't find anything that really helps me to avoid them.

And the "under boobs" sportsbra/HRM chafing. Soooo sexy in a bikini LOL.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Also a victim of the under-the-boob chafing. And really awful callouses on the outside of my big toes. And a pinched nerve/piriformis thing that I've accepted as my life-long buddy. This running stuff is awesome :)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've got a spot on my arm that looks like a cigarette burn that hasn't faded after a year! It's from chafing caused by my camelback. I'm currently missing one toenail. I have two toes that are black on the toe itself, not the nail, so no painting on a toenail and wearing sandals for me. And as a person that does bare minimum 10 runs a week, laundry and having enough running shorts is going to send me to the poor house.

I won't even mention the ants that found the open package of peanut butter in the cargo holder of my running stroller. :-(
  • Sundogoh
    Sundogoh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a toenail yet. My main problem is chafing under my right arm. Never my left, just the right. I am now wearing an armband (Bondiband) on that arm that seems to be fixing the problem. I have calluses on the outside of my big toes but the are slowly going away since I started coating them with Bodyglide prior to a run.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have been really fortunate. I have run several marathons, never lost a nail or any serious injuries. I have experienced chafing on various parts of my body but usually just coat those spots with vaseline for my long runs. Other than that, I just back off my running if I feel like I may have an injury starting. I have often wondered about people losing toe nails and wondered if their shoes were too small; but I have friends that are professionally fitted and still lose them. I guess I have just been fortunate. :)
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'm losing 5 toenails right now and I have constant burns on my neckline from chafing no matter what shirt I wear or how much bodyglide I use. I also get chafing around my waist from my water belt.

I just came back from a 2 week trip to Mexico yesterday and spent a huge amount of time in the water. The tough skin on the bottom of my feet actually peeled off in big chunks. It was disgusting.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky that most of my issues have been relatively easy fixes. Sports glide does wonders for me. The biggest problem I had for a while was a result of chewing sugar free gum. I quickly learned where the bathrooms were on my routes!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Wow...where to begin!

In reality, I don't have a lot of chaffing issues anymore since I stopped wearing my HRM. I do have scars on "the girls" from that thing. Ugh!

I will admit to having ugly runners feet. I am almost always babying my toenails. Some of them just come off while others are just plain old, very thick scabs. I paint them with bright blue nail polish. I try to make them look like toenails. It is generally a fail but it never hurts to try.

I look like a zebra! I rarely run in a shirt, just a sports bra and shorts. So, I have sports bra lines, tummy lines, shorts lines and sock lines. Fortunately, I don't go to the beach so I save those attractive tan lines for MFH! :)
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Wow...where to begin!

In reality, I don't have a lot of chaffing issues anymore since I stopped wearing my HRM. I do have scars on "the girls" from that thing. Ugh!

I will admit to having ugly runners feet. I am almost always babying my toenails. Some of them just come off while others are just plain old, very thick scabs. I paint them with bright blue nail polish. I try to make them look like toenails. It is generally a fail but it never hurts to try.

I look like a zebra! I rarely run in a shirt, just a sports bra and shorts. So, I have sports bra lines, tummy lines, shorts lines and sock lines. Fortunately, I don't go to the beach so I save those attractive tan lines for MFH! :)

Haha! The "sock tan". I forgot about that one.:laugh:
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    CarsonRuns wrote: »
    Tip rash.

:s very unpleasant!