Keto and Teaching is a Challenge

Options
2»

Replies

• mjrose514
    mjrose514 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Been there done that lol! I also drive a bus and work weddings.... Oh and my mom and mil are avid cake bakers! It's very hard sometimes!
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I wish the schools here had stricter guidlines. My partners 13yo daughter has rheumatoid arthritis, and I've talked to her until I'm blue in the face about eating whole foods, and cutting out rubbish to help her feel better. She complains constantly about feeling lethargic and sore and upset stomach and headache (I know, I sound harsh, but it really is mostly just complaining, when you ask her how bad it is it's "just annoying"). Her dad has backed up my stance on eating healthier and steering clear of processed foods, at least in theory, but it isn't enforced, not even a little.

I do the bulk of the shopping, and I don't buy junk food (I've told her that a little sometimes is okay like when you're out with friends or whatever, but no need to keep it in the house). So last night I see her packing her lunch box, and in it she has 3 candy bars, chocolate custard, a packet of crisps, and a drink which is marketed as 25% fruit juice but is pretty much just sugar. I don't even know where she got all that crap from. I'm going to say some from Grandma, and some from her Dad, who both think giving her everything she wants is the answer to all her problems ("poor thing, we can't say no to her, feeding her rubbish will make it all better").

And when I commented that it wasn't really a healthy lunch, would she like me to pack her something better, she ignored me and went and called Grandma to ask if she could stay there the night, because I'd apparently been mean.

Maybe if this kind of rubbish wasn't allowed at school it'd help. Not saying it's their responsibility, it's totally ours, but still.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I am a former principal ... well I'm still a principal, just work at the District Office. There are federal guidelines around what schools can offer students due to the Federal Lunch Program. During my last few years I began to implement a stronger nutrition policy for two reasons... one the law required it.. and because I was interested in students not setting up the bad habits that so many adults that I know have to "overcome" .. If you scout around on school websites you will see a lot of examples of nutrition policies. I think what parents may not appreciated that is with 30 kids, if each brings BD cupcakes.. that's a lot of days of sweets.

Several teachers established no cupcake rules, prior to the "policy" being put into place. I left shortly thereafter but it worked well that year. I also went around at lunch and gave little reward notices to "great choices for snacks" It is a battle. A number of us have discussed how hard it is just to get our families to choose less sugar, so not sure how much influence we have on other people's kids, even as educators.

I did find it interesting how many folks are teachers in the group. :0 )

Back to the original problem, I had quite a few teachers on special diets for various reasons, and they just told kids, "Oh honey, that's so sweet of you, but I don't eat cookies because of a special diet. Would it be ok if I gave these to ...(fill in the blank)" They also told the parents at Back To School Night that they were fighting sugar urges or some other comment to signal "no sugar please"
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I wish the schools here had stricter guidlines. My partners 13yo daughter has rheumatoid arthritis, and I've talked to her until I'm blue in the face about eating whole foods, and cutting out rubbish to help her feel better. She complains constantly about feeling lethargic and sore and upset stomach and headache (I know, I sound harsh, but it really is mostly just complaining, when you ask her how bad it is it's "just annoying"). Her dad has backed up my stance on eating healthier and steering clear of processed foods, at least in theory, but it isn't enforced, not even a little.

I do the bulk of the shopping, and I don't buy junk food (I've told her that a little sometimes is okay like when you're out with friends or whatever, but no need to keep it in the house). So last night I see her packing her lunch box, and in it she has 3 candy bars, chocolate custard, a packet of crisps, and a drink which is marketed as 25% fruit juice but is pretty much just sugar. I don't even know where she got all that crap from. I'm going to say some from Grandma, and some from her Dad, who both think giving her everything she wants is the answer to all her problems ("poor thing, we can't say no to her, feeding her rubbish will make it all better").

And when I commented that it wasn't really a healthy lunch, would she like me to pack her something better, she ignored me and went and called Grandma to ask if she could stay there the night, because I'd apparently been mean.

Maybe if this kind of rubbish wasn't allowed at school it'd help. Not saying it's their responsibility, it's totally ours, but still.

What about talking to her dad and grandmother? Show them the science and evidence that clearly illustrates that the sugar and crap are making her RA even worse? This is your child's health we're talking about here, and not even the arguably nebulous "you think you feel good now, you'll feel even better doing this!" type of thing you see when trying to improve the diet of a family that already feels they're healthy. RA is an autoimmune disease, and by eating all that sugar and whatnot, she's pretty literally destroying her body in a very visible way.

No body should be in chronic pain, especially not a 13 year old. Not putting your foot down about food now is going to set her up for a life of pain and deteriorating quality of life.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yep, totally agree. However there are a few factors at play here.

She is not my child, although she lives with us full time. She is a very immature 13yo, and simply will not be told no on anything. I've spoken to her Dad, he agrees with me, but he will not tell her to do anything, ever. I've spoken to Grandma and she ignores me, for the same reason. Dad has had full custody of the daughter for the last 7 and a half years, but she goes to her mums every second weekend. Mum has never shown any inclination to want to be a parent, however Dad is afraid if he tells her no on anything she will run off and live with Mum (who is not equipped to dealing with her illness). All understandable BUT does not help this child. I am not allowed to treat her as I do my own. I can not tell her to do her washing, or wipe up the dishes, or put her things away. I asked her last night to please not sit in her room and constantly text us every night (from 3 meters away) but to come out and talk to us. It's annoying as hell, we can't ever just sit and watch a TV show. That resulted in her crying a fit, and me looking like the bad guy.

I simply don't know what to do in this case. My kids ate what they were given, and this would never have been an issue. I do try so hard to help, as no one else seems to be looking out for her health. Dad takes her swimming twice a week after a push from me, and I manage to convince her to walk the dog sometimes. I've talked to her about diet, shown her articles about how processed foods are bad for inflamation etc, explained to her how eating better can help her feel better, and preserve her health long term, but I'm just breathing hot air.

Perhaps I need counselling :P

What about talking to her dad and grandmother? Show them the science and evidence that clearly illustrates that the sugar and crap are making her RA even worse? This is your child's health we're talking about here, and not even the arguably nebulous "you think you feel good now, you'll feel even better doing this!" type of thing you see when trying to improve the diet of a family that already feels they're healthy. RA is an autoimmune disease, and by eating all that sugar and whatnot, she's pretty literally destroying her body in a very visible way.

No body should be in chronic pain, especially not a 13 year old. Not putting your foot down about food now is going to set her up for a life of pain and deteriorating quality of life.