Resistant Starch

Options
Reading today I found this Topic.. Resistant Starch.

http://chriskresser.com/myths-and-truths-about-fiber &
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread73514.html

The main point that i understood is that Raw Potato or Cooked and cooled Potato/White Rice seem to benefit our GUT in some way and our diet , health and weight loss efforts.. not 100% sure how.. it seems to not digest like other things.. or something like that..
Its alot to read.. maybe someone hear has first hand knowledge of how this works.

Replies

• homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I wonder... potato is off my list. Definite cause of joint pain for me. White rice is too high in carbs, I eat it very seldom. However, white rice, cooked very soft (i.e. extra water in cooking) is one of the foods recommended for diarrhea (the BRATT diet: bananas, rice, applesauce, tea and toast).
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    p.s. I read on some paleo or primal site that white rice is healthier than brown because of the phytates in brown rice.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    p.s. I read on some paleo or primal site that white rice is healthier than brown because of the phytates in brown rice.

I don't think either are "healthy" per say but since the hull is still on with brown rice, that makes sense. I think there are many people who tolerate rice well but that doesn't make it ideal. Personally, I would still prefer sweet potatoes, white potatoes and squashes over rice if I felt I needed the starch. I just started looking into the resistance starch and am thinking of trying it but based on my existing experience and struggles with starch I question whether I will get any positive benefit. We'll see but I have yet to order the potato starch and I'm not about to start going over 50grams of carbs per day, every day. Eating potatoes is walking a fine line for me (and apparently they should be raw or cooked/cold) with the starch and that they are a nightshade and that I have historical experience with bingeing on potato products.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Many who advocate the ingestion of resistant starch use potato starch (not potato flour). Resistant starch is resistant to our ingestion but is reported to be a healthy food for our healthy gut bacteria. There appears to be four different types of starches? Resistant starches are not reported to be a type that raises blood glucose and insulin response. Some individuals have measured blood glucose after ingestion of potato starch and it appears not to have a big effect.

I have purchased Bob's Red Mills Potato Starch and have used it as a prebiotic prior to taking a probiotic. A few tablespoons in water and down the hatch. I don't consume it on a daily basis. I have not measured my blood glucose after ingesting. I have no idea if it raises my insulin N=1. I don't have an issue with nightshades, that I know of. I don't eat whole white cooked hot potato (high GI) but eat bell peppers and tomato paste in recipes without problem. It appears to make a difference as to whether potato starch is ingested hot or cold as to the insulin effect. Search: retrograde resistant starch Some actually report an improved insulin sensitivity when ingesting resistant starch. I would like to the evidence for that claim.

Seems somewhat confusing but interesting to me and I have not researched it extensively. Looks like a trending topic and another due diligence item.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    If you can't do nightshades then you can order plantain starch, or eat cooked/cooled plantains instead. When I first went paleo and there wasn't the discussion of safe starches, i.e. if you can tolerate white rice or potatoes they are okay on occasion, I ate a TON of plantain. I ate it at least 4-5 times a week because I needed it for my workouts and it helpe dme to transition. I wanted to try a "fat fast" and go VLC to lose weight after a while and when I did it had the oppisote result for me. I stopped losing any weight at all and felt like junk for longer than the "carb flu" should last. That is when I learned about the tyroid and very low carb connection. So, now I keep my starches pretty even and my carbs at ot above 75 grams...up to 200 depending on activity level.

Long story short, try plantain starch if rice and potatoes won't work for you.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    I think there is a knee jerk reaction to resistant starch by Low Carb and Keto advocates because of their past experience with starches that are metabolized. The advocates of digestion resistant starch is that it is a good food for your healthy gut micro-biome and has little to effect on your insulin levels.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have been playing with this for 5 days or so and have had no issues with it even though many people warn of gassy side effects.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I tried it yesterday.... zero stomach issues.. ( i mean i just had a 1/4 cup cooked and cooled white rice to test )... and i did it right after the gym... so maybe that was like 10 carbs...
    I might play around with the carbs.. although i want most of my carbs to come from veggies and some fruit.. so i dont want the rice to take that all away.......
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I think there is a knee jerk reaction to resistant starch by Low Carb and Keto advocates because of their past experience with starches that are metabolized. The advocates of digestion resistant starch is that it is a good food for your healthy gut micro-biome and has little to effect on your insulin levels.

Yup, you can call me skeptical based on my past problems with starch. However, I'm learning to open my mind and try different things. I haven't ordered the potato starch (I do have nightshade issues but supposedly potato starch is very unlikely to bother me) yet, and I'm going to try it with psyllium husks. However, I have issues with being consistent with establishing new routines, which in this case means mixing them into water and down the hatch. Still, if I hear enough good results from it.... they'll be in my next Amazon order.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Akima-You may want to check out Bulletproof Executive Podcasts concerning resistant starches discussing issues or concerns some people may have from ingesting resistant starch. If you are still interested Nikoley's, Free the Animal, I found has the most information on the topic.

Podcast 117-Dr. Grace Lie
    Podcast 124-Richard Nikoley, Tim Steele

There are other sources of resistant starches derived from sources other than nightshades. You might want to investigate.

Hi-Maize resistant starch
    Plantain resistant starch (as Nutmeg mentioned)
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If you can't tolerate nightshades sweet potato flour is also an alternative. There is very good evidence to support it's use and another reason to enjoy some cold potato salad ;0
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    Akima-You may want to check out Bulletproof Executive Podcasts concerning resistant starches discussing issues or concerns some people may have from ingesting resistant starch. If you are still interested Nikoley's, Free the Animal, I found has the most information on the topic.

Podcast 117-Dr. Grace Lie
    Podcast 124-Richard Nikoley, Tim Steele

There are other sources of resistant starches derived from sources other than nightshades. You might want to investigate.

Hi-Maize resistant starch
    Plantain resistant starch (as Nutmeg mentioned)

I did look for plantain starch first but couldn't find it. The Hi-Maize doesn't interest me after looking into the manufacturer. I had no trouble getting potato starch on-line but I do have many limitations with accessing specialty foods where I live. I can't complain though, as I have 160 pounds of grass-fed meat on the way. Continual research and exploring all options, even if it takes years, does finally pay off!

I have now ordered the potato starch and psyllium husks so will see how it goes when they get here. I'm having quite a struggle with everything this year and I really just need a good hard kick to the bottom. I'm contemplating another long term strict Paleo food plan - just have to get my head back in the game. I'm never "quitting" Paleo; no worries of that.
  • deoxy4
    Options
    Sorry, I looked back in some articles and I guess it is potato starch (not flour) and plantain FLOUR as high sources of resistant starch. The source plantain flour was Barry Farms.