Supplements?

Options
bonniejo
bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
Are supplements like BCAA and pre workout drinks (like NO explode) worth it when trying to gain/keep muscle at a caloric deficit? Or even just to give a workout boost on those blah days?

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Alan Aragon comments about BCAA in this interview with Eric Helms http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/2011-december-qa.php
    "On the supplementation front, it appears that BCAA can be used to clinch a small edge for preventing fatigue and enhancing fat oxidation while training on low glycogen stores. The problem with this research is that it's too new to have been replicated, and it's mainly hypothesis-generating since it only looked at short-term effects (as opposed to effects over a period of weeks). Very interesting stuff though, and it has potential applications to individuals who purposely train with low glycogen stores, which occurs in certain phases of bodybuilding with some competitors." He goes on to provide a link to more researched data.

In regards to pre-workout drinks, they commonly have a few ingredients in common. The main common ingredient is caffeine, but some also contain creatine, beta alanine, etc... (some ingredients have merit, but most "proprietary" stuff is just marketing filler to drive cost up in my opinion). If you like the feel of the jolt from caffeine and this helps drive your workout better, or you are a responder to creatine, then that's your call. But coffee is a lot cheaper than these pre-workouts if its just a matter of caffeine for you and creatine monohydrate is super cheap on its own compared to a pre-workout. So if it helps with your performance for your workout, then I guess you could say in the long run, it helped. You will just have to decide if the cost to performance ratio is worth to you or not.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are a pretty good idea if you're lifting in a fasted state and don't have protein/carb mix soon after. They prevent muscle loss if you're maintaining a fast.

Example:

4:45 am BCAAS
    5:00 am Lift
    7:00 am BCAAs
    9:00 am BCAAs
    11:00 am - 7:00 pm Feeding Period
  • markink81
    markink81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Alan Aragon comments about BCAA in this interview with Eric Helms http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/2011-december-qa.php
    "On the supplementation front, it appears that BCAA can be used to clinch a small edge for preventing fatigue and enhancing fat oxidation while training on low glycogen stores. The problem with this research is that it's too new to have been replicated, and it's mainly hypothesis-generating since it only looked at short-term effects (as opposed to effects over a period of weeks). Very interesting stuff though, and it has potential applications to individuals who purposely train with low glycogen stores, which occurs in certain phases of bodybuilding with some competitors." He goes on to provide a link to more researched data.

In regards to pre-workout drinks, they commonly have a few ingredients in common. The main common ingredient is caffeine, but some also contain creatine, beta alanine, etc... (some ingredients have merit, but most "proprietary" stuff is just marketing filler to drive cost up in my opinion). If you like the feel of the jolt from caffeine and this helps drive your workout better, or you are a responder to creatine, then that's your call. But coffee is a lot cheaper than these pre-workouts if its just a matter of caffeine for you and creatine monohydrate is super cheap on its own compared to a pre-workout. So if it helps with your performance for your workout, then I guess you could say in the long run, it helped. You will just have to decide if the cost to performance ratio is worth to you or not.

I agree with the above information. As far as pre-work drinks go I wouldn't waste your money. Have a meal a couple of hours before working out with a combination of complex carbohydrates and protein or if your short on time a piece of fruit about a half an hour before working out is all your body needs. Creatine and Beta Alanine are both good products and work synergistically when losing weight and trying to maintain muscle. You can find more information on these and many more supplements with actual independent analysis here...http://examine.com/ Hope this helps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    http://examine.com/supplements/Branched+Chain+Amino+Acids/

Basically, there may be minor benefits - but getting your diet dialed in will probably be more beneficial. That being said, if you train fasted, they may well be a good investment - but a protein shake should be just as good, if your eating schedule and macros/calories allow it.

Re pre-workouts - that is highly individual. I do not use them (except for creatine which is not really a pre-workout) , but I know others do and find them beneficial re energy. Mainly it's the caffeine - plus beta-alanine if they contain it.

http://examine.com/supplements/Beta-Alanine/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    = Mainly it's the caffeine - plus beta-alanine if they contain it.

Pretty sure you are immune to caffeine given your coffee consumption =)
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    So if I don't like coffee, and want caffeine it could be an option? Sounds good to me!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend pre-workouts. You are basically taking an unknown substance with unknown safety. Caffeine pills are cheaper, easier, and safer.