I started today, and it wasn't horrible!

Options
amcook4
amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
2 months ago I tried to start c25k (at over 300 pounds). It did not go so well, at all, couldn't make it though a minute without gasping for air and horrid shin pains. I spent the last two months swimming to build up my endurance and overall health, and today I tried W1D1 again. I was expecting it to be a horrible experience, but it wasn't at all! I am so excited that I was able to start and actually do pretty good with it all. I'm signed up for a beer run 5k in November, and now I think I might be able to run (some, if not all of it). I actually did an extra 2 intervals because I was feeling really good, so 292 pound me, who hasn't ran since high school gym, was able to run 8 minutes. I'm ridiculously proud of myself right now!

Replies

• jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well done you! I started 3 weeks ago. On the first day, I couldn't make it through 45 seconds of running, but today I ran 5 3-minute intervals (with 2 minutes walking between)!!! As someone who has never run before (my theory was if you saw me running, you should too because there were bears), I'm so excited to pick this up and feel successful so far!

Keep going! You can do it!
  • tmi1339
    tmi1339 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good job to both of you! I have started and stopped this program for months. Starting again today. Happy Running!
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I started at teh beginning of this week. Can I ask, what are you setting your treadmill at, if you are using one? I'm using 4.8 for the speed but that's more of a slow jog. I may try boosting it to 5 but if I go too fast, I run out of breath too fast
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I started at teh beginning of this week. Can I ask, what are you setting your treadmill at, if you are using one? I'm using 4.8 for the speed but that's more of a slow jog. I may try boosting it to 5 but if I go too fast, I run out of breath too fast

Slow is good. You should feel as if you are running a bit too slow. That's the pace that will get you through the sessions. You'll automatically speed up as you get stronger. When I noticed myself occasionally tripping over the belt, it was time to bump up the treadmill speed a bit.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    2 months ago I tried to start c25k (at over 300 pounds). It did not go so well, at all, couldn't make it though a minute without gasping for air and horrid shin pains. I spent the last two months swimming to build up my endurance and overall health, and today I tried W1D1 again. I was expecting it to be a horrible experience, but it wasn't at all! I am so excited that I was able to start and actually do pretty good with it all. I'm signed up for a beer run 5k in November, and now I think I might be able to run (some, if not all of it). I actually did an extra 2 intervals because I was feeling really good, so 292 pound me, who hasn't ran since high school gym, was able to run 8 minutes. I'm ridiculously proud of myself right now!

Well done! You should feel proud of yourself. You did great!
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I had a similar experience; started C25K and could not do week 1. So I walked for 2 months and restarted it and like you was able to do it the second time. Im now up to running 20 minutes which seemed impossible when I started.

Take it slow and if you have to repeat a week; do it. The key is to progress slowly buy steady. Better to take a month longer to finish than to get hurt and not finish at all.
  • Soup80
    Soup80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the MFP Community posts...but what better thread to be a part of than this!

Awesome posts here! I started C25K 3 weeks ago, for the 2nd time. The first time I did this program I didn't finish but ended up running a 5K in 28+ mins. I started again because I need to get healthy and build endurance, and a couple friends want me to run a couple different 5Ks with them in a little less than 2 months. The first week was simple and I almost thought I needed to start on week 2 instead of week 1. Glad I didn't do that! Now into day 3 of week 3, I'm having difficulty finishing the longer intervals of running. I'm doing it, but now have shin splints. Got new shoes last night so wish me luck!!
  • lgodwin413
    lgodwin413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great job! I love doing c25k. I'm at week 7 day 2 and ran 25 minutes yesterday without stopping. For me it was slowing down that made me keep going and not quit. It's more of a jog than a run but I hope to increase speed slowly as I increase distance. Keep going!! :)
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did day 2 today and running is still not terrible! Maybe I was wrong my whole life? lol
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday and survived it too :) !
    Week1 Day 1 - done!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I started Tuesday and I'm looking forward to my second walk / jog outing tonight. I'm excited to be out and moving and I'm happy that I'm making the committment to do this. I'm a little sore from Tuesday (muscles in legs); I guess I need to do a better job of stretching before and after.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week1 Day 1 - done!

Week1 Day 2 - done!
  • madierdorf
    madierdorf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am on W6D2 tomorrow is jog x10 3 /1/2 min walk then jog 10 more. I am loving it:-) . I am going slow and steady to condition my body. I know you all will do great. Just enjoy it and don't worry about speed. Have a great time being active. Good Luck.
  • cookiegy
    cookiegy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You're all doing wonderfully. I graduated a few weeks back and am now moving up to 10k.

It's probably one of the best decisions I ever made, I feel (and look -okay I'm vain) loads better.

That feeling when I realised I could actually do the Week Five Day3 was amazing.

I wish you all the best of luck - keep going you're doing great :)
  • Aine8046
    Options

Week1 Day 1 - done!
    Week1 Day 2 - done!
    Week1 Day 3 - done!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Welcome to all the new Starters! You can all do this and it'll feel great.

I graduated about 2 years ago and still enjoy it. It's not always easy but it's fun and has a great sense of accomplishment to it. Keep running and take it slow. Speed happens over time, with many miles on your shoes.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Welcome from me, too! I finished in June and it felt unbelievable. I still remember the first two weeks (did them last year but had to stop due to a twisted ankle and badly bruised knee, then had a hard time getting back on track) very well, thought I'd never get through the whole programme. Just keep going and checking in here!