Introduction

girlviernes
girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
Hi there, I just joined this group. I have been struggling with binge eating for about 20 years. I think it has been very hard on my body, and now at 35 I've learned that I have some stenosis in my carotid artery and possibly a plaque in my eye. This means I could be vulnerable to heart attack or stroke. That is probably the scariest thing, but I have a few other medical issues that are also scary. Thus, I really need to do something about these patterns.

I'm actually a therapist and health, obesity, and eating disorders is my specialty area. Thus, I also feel like a hypocrite and embarrassed for my struggles, which has probably made it more difficult to get help.

So my goals are to eat healthfully most of the time, but learn to re-conceptualize slip-ups and deal with them more effectively. I am also seeking to lose weight, and my immediate goal is to lose to below 230, as that weight seems to be a threshold point at which I have a lot more weight-related problems. I generally try to avoid processed foods and "white stuff." So far what has been most helpful is committing to logging everything as I would avoid logging binges in the past. I did binge about 5 days ago, and felt so good for logging it all the next day and getting back on track. What I am working on now is actually eating enough food as I have been letting myself get too hungry. It's amazing how easy it is to not eat enough when going the non-processed route!

Anyways, I am glad this group exists. You guys seem very supportive and I'd love to be a part of it!

Replies

• Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    I'm a long time struggler as well. Twice I have lost as much as 100 pounds, and twice I ended up battling eating disorders. I have never been a "normal eater" and couldnt possibly list all my quirks. But binging is the absolute worst thing I have faced, and with it comes shame, regret, depression, embarrassment, etc.

Glad you are here, its a good supportive group. And with your occupation, you might be able to encourage us as well.
  • New here, but welcome Girlviernes. Good luck with your efforts - you seem to be going in the right direction :)
  • girlviernes
    Thanks to both of you for the welcome :) I do think I'm on a good path now. Dennis, I'm glad to connect with someone who has been facing this issue for a long time. From what I've read, you've made great gains which is really encouraging!
  • JenH1550
    JenH1550 Posts: 46
    Welcome girl!

The whole "Doctor, heal thyself!"

I'm 38 and in the same cycle, and I have a similar shame factor.

I'm a part time fitness instructor.

The binging and subsequent punishments and overcompensation (purges), has become super-destructive and all-consuming.

I'm not living life, I'm just stalking food and self-loathing. It's not sane or happy.

This group is amazing.

No judgement, and everyone is in the same boat.

Welcome aboard!

I'll hold your hand it you hold mine!
  • girlviernes
    Hey Jen, very nice to meet you! I wanted to be a fitness instructor too, but always discounted the possibility due to my weight. I'm so glad to be in the group :)
  • JenH1550
    Let me encourage you to do that, to be a fitness instructor.

The world needs instructors who are real people, and who understand how hard it is.

Forget the weight. The only important thing is the guts. Truly, what's on the inside is what matters.

If you are healthy, then you should help other people get healthy if you're moved to do so. The love and desire to help are contagious, and that's what changes lives.

We have a phrase in our world "Skinny-fat" skinny girls who are totally out of shape, and have fat-guts.

Not that they have fatty tissue anywhere, some of these students are tissue-thin; but they have no muscle tone, no lung capacity, their hearts aren't strong and they have no endurance. They have sloppy guts. Pretty on the outside and not so pretty on the inside.

You get your guts in good shape and you go change the world. I'll be your cheerleader!

Our students LOVE instructors who are not size 2.

One of my girls told me "I really like you, but I REALLY like (Other instructor), because I think she's amazing, she's strong, she's not thin, and it makes me believe that I can do that, too."
  • girlviernes
    Thanks, Jen. You've really inspired me to think about how to do this. I have a full-time career and my preferred exercise is swing dancing, so I am not sure I would pursue fitness instruction as typically defined, but I want to find a creative way to build it into my life.
  • JenH1550
    No worries!

I also have a full time career. I'm a newspaper reporter.

I teach Zumba one night a week, and then I substitute whenever anyone needs me.

Have you tried it? It's not swing dance, it's Latin dance with aerobics, a little pop and hip-hop and some strength built in. It feels like dancing, though.
  • girlviernes
    I've tried zumba once. I'd love to try it again. I am also interested in those bollywood style workouts :)
  • Summerfit321
    Summerfit321 Posts: 142 Member
    Welcome to the group!

I have been struggling from binge-eating for the past two years. It has progressively got worse: last week I ate about 6000 kcal in a few hours... so I know how bad it can feel.

Sorry to hear about your health problems, but well done on trying to beat the binging problem. Not eating too little is so key to avoiding binging! I really do wish you the best of luck! :smile:
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    It's interesting and encouraging to hear that others also have careers that help other people deal with issues they have themselves! I struggle with binge eating (although I've almost hit a month binge free!) and I recently got certified as a personal trainer. I am having a hard time promoting myself because I feel like a hypocrite sometimes, knowing that I am sometimes lazy, skip workouts, and worst of all, binge. I've come to realize that we are specially equipped to make a difference in other people's lives. A therapist or fitness instructor who can truly empathize with their clients has the potential to help people significantly. Once we beat our own issues, we can share our tips with others! Y'all are amazing, keep a good attitude and remember that by changing ourselves we can learn things that we can pass on.
  • girlviernes
    Summerfit -thanks for the welcome and encouragement. I'm getting close to 30 days binge-free :)

dlbaron - It's an interesting question about what is right to do. I've found that I am able to help my patients and it has been good for me to do this work, although I'm sure some people take me less seriously because of my weight. But I absolutely want to live the idea that we have value and something to offer at any size. On the other hand, I think it is important that I take very seriously getting better and especially seeking out the help I need, because that is exactly what I work with people every day to do.