Ketonix

Options
nill4me
nill4me Posts: 682 Member
Anyone purchased or thought of purchasing one? The ketone breath tool? I ask this after the pain of purchasing multiple boxes of ketone test strips along with my last glucose strip purchase.

Replies

• persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Not tried the breath ones, I ordered the urine test ones. I just got them online from amazon. They seemed to be accurate. Day one on keto diet the test strip showed no change, day two hint of pinkness by end of week one darker pink. If do not drink enough they go dark purple but drink lots and test again and are back to pink. I don't think you need to worry about testing every day unless you have changed something about the way you ate. I think the tests are just there as a rough guide to tell if in keto or not.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    After a while you know when you're in Ketosis and when not - you don't have to use any expensive tools to check your Ketone level. I use blood tests from time to time - usually only out of curiosity, after I've eaten more carbs than usual.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am beginning a keto diet. I want to test my ketones. I would like to buy the Ketonix or the Ketometer with strips. I don't like the idea of the Ketonix because it just gives you a color range for the degree of ketosis you are in. The Ketometer uses expensive strips but gives you a numerical value. The Ketometer takes some finesse to use getting the blood on the strip correctly with sufficient amount to not waste the strips. I guess you can order the strips from Canada for half the cost of the strips from Amazon, but they take two weeks to arrive. The Ketonix breath meter also has to be plugged into a USB port, which I can imagine would be a hassle for me.

Whatever it takes I will do to correctly do the Keto diet. That means expensive testing. I know eventually I will be able to tell when I am in Ketosis without testing, but until then I will will test. I need mental clarity, better sleep, and help fight endometriosis, and all that is supposed to happen with Ketosis.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Whatever it takes I will do to correctly do the Keto diet. That means expensive testing.

No. Just no. And, that's coming from someone who bought a Ketonix, blood ketone tester and strips, paid for a blood panel, and other stuff. You need absolutely nothing to do keto correctly. You don't need any testing at all. You want to do it correctly? Eat 20g of net carbs or less each day (no sugar alcohols... or counting them as 0.5g each if you must). If you do that, consistently, you'll be in ketosis.

You may not get super-deep (depending on carbs and protein percentages), but you'll be plenty deep enough into keto.

If you have the money, and the desire, for the tests then go ahead and buy them. But, they are in no way required. Actually living keto is probably cheaper than how you were eating before. It shouldn't be more expensive, at least not much (assuming you weren't living on rice and beans).
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to the keto blood strips. It shows the ketone that you want measure ( beta-hydroxybutyrate). The urine ketone is valuable early on, but fades later when you've been in ketosis. I read a post from a keto person here whose Ketonix showed her in the yellow zone and the blood ketone strip showed 0.2, which isn't even nutritional ketosis, so that makes me very cautious of going with the breath monitor.

You can order the blood ketone strips from Canadian pharmacies. It's not super cheap, but much more affordable than US pharmacies.

You don't have to monitor yourself and you can do a ketogenic diet without urine strips or blood ketone strips, but carb creep can happen over time and you could knock yourself out of ketosis without realizing it. That's happened to me. I thought I was in ketosis and the blood test strips showed I was not.
  • nill4me
    Options
    Thanks for your opinions. I already have the blood monitor. I check glucose multiple times a day and log it and have been doing the same with ketones (logging). Weight loss is only my secondary goal. Primary is to log glucose and ketone levels in relation to overall well being with regard to chronic health issues. I had seen the ketonix and was curious.
  • amymdeluca
    Options
    I was wondering if you really needed to do the ketone testing. it is expensive, plus with this website and tweeking it to work with my keto percentages i know weather or not i'm hitting my percentages.
  • nill4me
    Options
    Well, I'm glucose intolerant, have hashi's and chronic thyroiditis and mastocytosis, so I'm monitoring relative to illness and symptoms. I'm not just trying to get into ketosis as a weight loss tactic. Hopefully as I progress that won't be as necessary, but right now, having been eating KGD for less than 7 days, I'm guessing I'm better off.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't think you HAVE to get the blood ketone strips. Some people find that their glucose level and ketones correlate, so they just use the cheaper glucose strips for diabetics. I haven't found that to be the case for me though. My glucose can be low and my ketones not that high.

Some people don't test at all. They just go by the keto symptoms - no longer crave carbs, a funny taste in the mouth, more energy, things like that. If you're very careful about carbs then you can probably get away with not testing. I'm an information junkie and I like to know what's going on with my body. Lab tests and blood tests fascinate me. :laugh:
  • JJackJP
    JJackJP Posts: 2
    Options
    Very happy with my Ketonix. I immediately know when I've been eating too many carbs and when I'm on the right track.
    Of course the device is not cheap, but if you use it several times a day it'll end up costing much less than strips.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Ketonix is one year worth of Urine strips, they both are inaccurate. If you want to experiment, use blood strips or else it doesn't matter if you test or not. I rarely take measurements these days because I know if I am in Keto or not. If I am experimenting, then I use blood strips. I personally like taking few accurate measurements over lot of inaccurate measurements with urine strips or ketonix.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with Leonidas - after a while you get a sense of whether you're in Ketosis, no need to test the Ketone level every day. After all, it is very expensive no matter what you use.
  • nill4me
    Options
    I agree with Leonidas - after a while you get a sense of whether you're in Ketosis, no need to test the Ketone level every day. After all, it is very expensive no matter what you use.

Indeed it is. I'm hoping to get that spidey keto-sense in order soon! Patience grasshopper....
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have a Ketonix sport. I love seeing the changes during the day. I blow green in the morning usually, and orange in the afternoon with the occasional read. It's different to urine strips. Ketonix shows recent ketones whereas urine strips show where you were several hours ago.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've had my Ketonix Sport since 8/1/14, and have found it to be invaluable.
    This last week, I've been trying to become more ketotic again so I can test the red color range against blood ketone. I've already finished my correlation for the green and yellow ranges.
    Just last evening, another gentleman put in his first blog post his value next to blood and it further validates the scale I am currently working off of.
    My information is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PatchEFog

I know it isn't supposed to correlate with blood (per both Ketonix and JM), but for me it's been nearly spot on.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Whatever it takes I will do to correctly do the Keto diet. That means expensive testing.

No. Just no. And, that's coming from someone who bought a Ketonix, blood ketone tester and strips, paid for a blood panel, and other stuff. You need absolutely nothing to do keto correctly. You don't need any testing at all. You want to do it correctly? Eat 20g of net carbs or less each day (no sugar alcohols... or counting them as 0.5g each if you must). If you do that, consistently, you'll be in ketosis.

You may not get super-deep (depending on carbs and protein percentages), but you'll be plenty deep enough into keto.

If you have the money, and the desire, for the tests then go ahead and buy them. But, they are in no way required. Actually living keto is probably cheaper than how you were eating before. It shouldn't be more expensive, at least not much (assuming you weren't living on rice and beans).
    Not necessarily so for everyone. One can be too far into ketosis for optimal fat burning.
    When I first got my Ketonix Sport, everything I was blowing was in the high yellow blink range.
    To get things down to the green range, I ended up adding up to 47 carbs on my feeding days (alternating 3 days/week fasting), to get it there.
    I've since validated my hunch about the color scale versus actual blood ketone.
    Alternatively, KetoStix have never shown more than small/moderate, so have been grossly inaccurate for me. I found this article explaining why this can be so: http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/

Anyway, if I hadn't tested with the Ketonix Sport then validated with blood, I'd have never known I was really too far into ketosis for optimal fat burning.
  • nill4me
    Options
    I've had my Ketonix Sport since 8/1/14, and have found it to be invaluable.
    This last week, I've been trying to become more ketotic again so I can test the red color range against blood ketone. I've already finished my correlation for the green and yellow ranges.
    Just last evening, another gentleman put in his first blog post his value next to blood and it further validates the scale I am currently working off of.
    My information is here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PatchEFog

I know it isn't supposed to correlate with blood (per both Ketonix and JM), but for me it's been nearly spot on.

Thank you for this. Lots of good information here.
  • pukeko9
    Options
    I have a Ketonix Sport and I am very happy with it, I would recommended. Cheers