My weight went UP with exersize!!!!

kiknitwite
kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
I was devastated when I got on the scale on Saturday guys! :( I weighed 255, and I'm so sick of seeing that number. 2 weeks prior I was 252 and was really confident that I would be in the 240's, not UP 3 pounds. I'm terrified that keto is betraying me, and I'm worried. I know its not a race but still 2 weeks and up 3 pounds?! I've been constantly in moderate keto PLUS I started working out (HIT) 5 days a week. Shark week is not for almost 2 weeks and I don't know why I would be gaining. I'm frustrated!!! HELP guys! I read that working out may make you gain water weight and give it days for it to drop. I JUST started my workout plan last Monday so maybe the weight hadn't dropped? I just think it's taking so long for consistent loss.

Replies

• kiknitwite
    kiknitwite Posts: 36 Member
    P.S. I did lose some inches though... So maybe I burned fat and it's water weight??? Bust stayed the same but waist, hips, thighs an arms went down an inch in the last 2 weeks. Maybe I'm just acting crazy huh?
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    This happened to me also. It's just water weight. When I stated exercising I gained, then lost the next week. Last week, I started boot camp and I gained almost a pound. I bet this week I will be back down. I weigh myself weekly, but I am trying to focus on my month to month changes in weight and measurements. The weekly weigh-in fluctuate too much.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    You lost INCHES, so that's great! You won't always see simultaneous progress with the scale and measurements, so just enjoy whichever one you see results in. Just stick with it - it will pay off.
  • JJackJP
    JJackJP Posts: 2
    It's probably muscle mass that has grown since you started exercising. HIT will do that and it's a good thing, as all that extra muscle will burn extra fat when you're resting.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    P.S. I did lose some inches though... So maybe I burned fat and it's water weight??? Bust stayed the same but waist, hips, thighs an arms went down an inch in the last 2 weeks. Maybe I'm just acting crazy huh?

You never know where you gain lean mass - and it's probably not healthy to run DXA scans on a weekly basis, so you'll have to let your body "do its thing". I've been back on keto for the last 6 weeks, and two weeks ago I resumed my resistance training scheme - promptly my weight loss slowed down dramatically. It doesn't matter - give the body some time to "rearrange". As long as you're losing inches (milestone: need new belt), everything's just fine.
  • It happens, you might be gaining lean mass and burning fat. I never bothered about scale and always relied on bod pod/ body scans every week or every other week. Pro-athletes get bod pod/ body scans every week, nothing unhealthy about them.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    If I work out to hard I will completely stall or gain by the scale but will lose inches. I was in a 6 week "stall" of gaining and losing the same 4 pounds. I finally cut out the cardio and upped my calories by 500. When I did the scale started consistently moving down again. If you are tearing down muscle then you will hold some water for repair and it may takes a couple weeks for the whoosh. If you are a newbie lifter you may be seeing small LBM gains even if you are eating at a deficit. KCKO.