Calf cramps when lunging

Options
thedreamhazer
thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
I've been having a recurring issue with my calves cramping up badly -- particularly during static lunges, but really it's during any prolonged tension for a single leg. Example -- I take a class called bodycombat. One of the moves involves balancing on one leg while do a slow side kick. You pause in between kicks, but by kick number 3 my standing leg starts to cramp.

I've tried doing lunges without weight and changing my stance and focusing on going straight up and down. No change. I've talked to instructors and have yet to get any advice that helps. So, I thought I'd come here. Any suggestions on how do avoid the dread calf cramp if skipping these moves is out of the question? (I'm willing to modify).

Note: I drink a lot of water throughout the day so it's not a dehydration problem. I can also do walking lunges without issue (am considering swapping these in for static lunges during class, but that doesn't help with the kick...)

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Foam roll your calves??
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Interesting! And frustrating. Are you tracking hour potassium to make sure you're getting enough? I used to get terrible cramps until I started tracking it and modifying my diet accordingly. Although my cramps almost always happened after hard exercise, not during...
  • n3ver3nder
    n3ver3nder Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Note: I drink a lot of water throughout the day so it's not a dehydration problem. I can also do walking lunges without issue (am considering swapping these in for static lunges during class, but that doesn't help with the kick...)

Hydration isn't just a matter of taking in a lot of water, you need minerals too. Try some hydration salts and see what happens?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is needed to get the most use from the potassium, so try some supplements there for a week.

And take a couple days and stretch the gastroc and soleus separately and several times daily since that motion uses both.

Ditto on too much water without required electrolytes will just throw the balances off, hyponatremia.
    Some people watch their sodium and cut back too much while drinking too much water.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'll take a look into my magnesium/potassium intake.

I promise my sodium isn't too low, though. :)

ETA -- I foam roll my calves occasionally, I'll see if making it a habit for a little while helps out.