Third time lucky?

Options
StarryG
StarryG Posts: 10 Member
I started C25K again for the third time yesterday morning (I refuse to give up!) .

The first try, my heart wasn't really in it, and I had a LOT of weight to lose. I was running with a friend at that stage, and I felt so guilty each time because she was fitter than I was and I felt like I was holding her back. I got to the end of week 3 after about 9 months of repeating levels because my brain kept telling me I couldn't do it. At the time I was too inexperienced and didn't listen to what my body wanted. I turned to Jillian Michaels at that stage for my motivation, and gave jogging the flick.

Around 12 months later, I was totally committed. Bought some new gear, donned my Asics Kayanos and got out at lunchtime on my own on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Around week 4 I realised that after a certain amount of minutes jogging, I felt like the pain, my breathing etc wouldn't get any better, but it wouldn't get any worse either, and I could run for longer if I kept the same pace. And I loved it! This time around I got to Week 5, Day 2 and stalled. I made the silly mistake of looking at Day 3 before beginning it, and it freaked me out. I could manage an 8 minute run, but 20?? All at once?? :noway: About a month after that, I sprained my hamstring doing cartwheels in the back yard... (don't ask). And then four months later I fractured my arm whilst rollerblading...

So now, several months after my last attempt, I am all healed and ready to begin my third and hopefully final go. I wanted to start from home this time, because it is quite hilly, and I thought it would help me to learn to run uphill. So yesterday morning, I got out at 5am to start my run. The saying "exercise in the morning before your brain wakes up and finds out what you are doing" is so true! :tongue: I thought I had selected Week 1, Day 1, however when I got home, I realised it was Week 4, Day 2. I tried my best, but spent a lot more time walking than I did jogging. I still felt good for getting out there, though.

Now I am so sore! I can tell exactly what muscles I wasn't using before, hehe. Even the muscles around my lungs are sore :laugh: Not sure how I am going to go tomorrow morning, but at least I'll have the 5 min warm up walk first.

Wish me luck! :happy:

Replies

• newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I was hoping you were in your third repeat of a workout :). I'm on my fourth attempt of Week 4, Day 2. I may have to take your advice about "do exercise in the morning before your brain figures out what you are doing". I changed up my music mix, and that helped a lot. However, I still can't get through the last 3 minutes of jogging in that 5 minute set. My cross training helped though, because I wasn't as winded this time. I'm really hoping I can get through it soon.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    If you are struggling to get through segments, you might need to slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation (or sing a song) while you are running. If you can't, you are trying to go too fast.

You can do this!

Good Luck!
  • Running_From_Zombies
    Options
    I've completed the C25K program three, soon to be four times over the past three years because of course if you don't use it you lose it. The number one piece of advice I could give is trust in the program. It is actually very successful if you follow it and throw away the excuses. It's worked for a lot of people, but consistency is key. Three times a week, rain, hail or shine. A day off in between is great but it gets a lot harder if you have two or more days off in between. That first 20min run makes you feel like super woman when you get through it, and you CAN get through it. Running is a mental thing, your body is capable of a lot more than your head tells you it is. Once you realise that you're good to go,
  • StarryG
    StarryG Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Kim, I found it much easier when I found music I love that had a beat that fitted my running cadence. I run at around 166bpm, so I googled songs that had a beat around that :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Kim, I found it much easier when I found music I love that had a beat that fitted my running cadence. I run at around 166bpm, so I googled songs that had a beat around that :)

The website jog.fm allows you to put in your desired pace and it will give a list of suggested songs. I took songs that I already had on my phone and figured out the pace to build a descending pace playlist of my favorite songs.
  • lindaholtzhausen6
    Options
    I went for a 5k race this weekend. I really couldnt do week 4 before I did that....I just decided to try and run as much as I could. I decreased my pace and ran the whole 5......OK, so it was hard, but I did it. I am now so motivated that I did week 4 day 2 easily!

If you are struggling, decrease your running pace....even if you are slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter....just keep running!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Linda!! That is a great achievement!! You're first 5K! Well done!

Slowing down is the key. It seems counter productive but it's the only way to keep getting stronger. Way to go!