From couch to Ironman

Options
_SantaClause
_SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
I watched my dad this past weekend for his 4th Ironman, and I got inspired. I'm ready to lose this weight and then train.

I am planning on taking the next year to lose weight, and then in 2016 race Ironman Louisville.

Replies

• wpayers
    wpayers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've been bitten by the inspiration Ironman bug. It happens to a countless number of people. Witnessing an Ironman finish is truly memorable.

You are wise to go with a two year plan. Unfortunately, many folks are overwhelmed by inspiration and foolishly assume they can prepare for the distance within one year. That's simply not realistic.

Now that you've declared your goal you will no doubt get tons of (solicited/unsolicited) advice. Here's a morsel, establish a general schedule of events and realistic training plan as soon as possible. For content, consult finishers like your dad and possibly engage a coach. Your schedule should include a gradual ramp-up of sprint, olympic and half-iron distances. I also recommend you consider running a marathon at some point. Achieving the 70.3 four to five months prior to the Ironman is critical.

While two years seems ample, in training terms, it is actually somewhat tight. Take it in all moderate steps but you've got to start now. Without knowing your current age and fitness level it is hard to judge how realistic your goal is.

IM Louisville has been moved to October so you have a few extra months. Also, you'll avoid the brutal heat like this past weekend.

Good luck and be realistic. If you can't make 2016, there is nothing wrong with 2017 or 2018. Getting to the start of your first event should be your goal. Believe me, no matter the distance, crossing that first finish line will be life changing and exhilarating.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Good luck man. I like your approach to this goal. I'm personally of the opinion that the rush to complete an Ironman burns a lot of folks out. Going from 0 to 16 hours of training a week in a shortish period of time is a lot of stress for someone to handle, especially someone without a huge base of aerobic fitness.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan!

What is your running/cycling background?

I just finished my first 70.3 and it took me over a year and a half to get there. I had no background in running or cycling. (I did run 3 miles inside the school gym one time during highschool PE, but that was a long time ago as I'm in my 40s now.) It was hard work, a LOT of training, and doable. But if I had taken another year to get there, that also would have been OK. I may think about moving towards a full IM in the future, but not next year. Maybe 2016.

I am of the opinion that losing weight more slowly, depending on how much you have to lose, will help you towards making lasting changes as there is so much mental that needs to be dealt with - especially for those who have always been heavier (like me).
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Given that I just finished my first IM at Louisville this weekend, I would also advise you not to rush into it. One of the more heartbreaking aspects of the race was encountering folks who had bitten off more than they were ready for. Being completely exhausted, hot, tired, sick, and full of crushed dreams all at once makes for a miserable day. One woman bawling her heart out with 16 miles to go in the marathon and realizing that the 2.5 hours she had left would not be nearly enough time to do it was particularly horrible.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Given that I just finished my first IM at Louisville this weekend, I would also advise you not to rush into it. One of the more heartbreaking aspects of the race was encountering folks who had bitten off more than they were ready for. Being completely exhausted, hot, tired, sick, and full of crushed dreams all at once makes for a miserable day. One woman bawling her heart out with 16 miles to go in the marathon and realizing that the 2.5 hours she had left would not be nearly enough time to do it was particularly horrible.

I agree.

I was spectating at IMLOU this weekend. My dad has attempted that race twice, and DNF both times. Both times were not because lack of training, but body issues he couldn't control.

It was crazy hot out there after the sun came out from the clouds, I knew the run would be a death march for a lot of people.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Crossed the finish line at Ironman Canada in July for the first time. I have smiled every day since. No better feeling of accomplishment in the world. Take it one day at a time. You have some good recommendations here. Mine? Year one - weight loss first, then 5k, 10k, half marathon and finish the year with a full marathon. Year two - swim lessons to start unless you are already a strong swimmer. A couple of sprint tris, Olympic Tri, half iron a 2-3 months before your full. Get a coach, even if it's just online.

Best wishes in your success!
  • dmeyers1969
    dmeyers1969 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've completed 2 IM's and I admire your declaring your goal for 2016. It is very doable and all of the advice up to now is right on the money. Feel free to add me as a friend for support in your journey.