Suggested replacement

Options
sammniamii
sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
I'm looking for a replacement for Squats. Before anyone screams, allow me to explain - I have scoliosis & a spinal fusion. I can do BW squats & DD squats (and I do both), but when I try using a bar (even empty) it causes extreme pain. After months of trying, I finally figured it was a combo of the entire weight of the bar sitting on 1 shoulder & my difficultly in getting my arms in the correct position. I tried adjusting my stance, using a towel, using a smith machine (which I know isn't great), but I can't do bar squats.

I can do deadlifts no problem, I was even experimenting with power cleans & clean and jerk (low weights). The PC gave me some issue, but the C&J I was able to do with no issue.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have you tried front squats? That might work for you.

Could you do a weighted vest? There's a limit to that weight, of course, and I don't know if it's any higher than dumbbells, but might be worth looking into.

You might also want to look into the trap bar -- http://www.athletestrengthandperformance.com/trap-bar-deadliftsquat/ .

Sorry, I know it's not "alternatives to squats" -- I don't actually know any off hand that work the same as squats or even close -- but hopefully at least one of these might be a viable option for you.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    front squats, goblet squats, bulgarian split lunges with dumbbells, box jumps
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

*facepalm* I feel stupid now. :embarassed:

Lunges of all sorts get close to squats, and you can do them with any kind of weight and can hold the weight down instead of somewhere around your shoulders.
  • Vizhen
    Vizhen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    This was great info. Never heard of Front Squats and don't recollect seeing anyone in the gym do them. I'll try them tomorrow. I feel so incompetent in the gym by myself. I just stick to the machines with pictures. That way I at least know I'm doing them 90% correct.
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maybe the leg press machine? Since you can do squats themselves, its just the bar that's the issue, there are a lot of squat variations you could try. Bodyweight single leg squats/pistols (I'm working my way up to pistols by doing single leg squats while holding onto bands), curtsy lunges, sumo squats holding a kettle bell with two hands in front of you, weighted single leg step ups
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

These are all great suggestions.