Introduction

Options

Replies

• mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Hi mczo14 and welcome. It can be a scary idea and isn't necessarily for everyone. The best thing you can do is to do some research on the computer about the different surgeries and what they involve. The only thing I ask is that you don't watch videos of the surgery. That's enough to scare anyone away, lol. I'll look around later and see if I can find some good research sites for you to check out. The other thing you can do is ask plenty of questions to those that have been there. Get all the information you can. Maybe go to a seminar presented by a bariatric center in your area. They would be a wealth of information. Just some ideas and again, welcome
  • Mom2Cubs
    Mom2Cubs Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Tina and I had VSG on 8/18/14. I was 285 on the day of surgery and have lost 17 lbs so far,. I am currently on stage 2 liquids and am looking forward to having solid food again next week. For those getting ready for the surgery, I am happy to share whatever information with you I can. Each doctor has a different pre-op and post-op diet, but they will all be worth it in the end.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello, Im Allison. Im up in Calgary Canada. Im still pre-op for VSG at this point. :smile:
  • original_mami
    original_mami Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    hello everyone! and welcome! I am so happy to see so many of you here :) I would love to work as a team for us to answer questions for other members and give support when one needs it or just because we rock like that LOL .

As much as I want to welcome everyone once they do an Intro I can't LOL but please know that I did read your comment/story and I appreciate you sharing it with all of us.
  • lawanarae
    lawanarae Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hello all my name is Lawana and I am going to have my surgery on 8 Sep 14. I have debated this for about 2 years and I am finally ready to take the plunge. I am having the sleeve. My weight is holding me back from doing the things I want to do as far as vacationing and spending time with my 2 year old granddaughter. I will be 50 years old next year and I must be fly at 50. My goal is to go to Hawaii and I need to be able to really enjoy then and after. I just started re-reading my info regarding my surgery yesterday and noticed that my liquid diet starts Monday which happens to be the Holiday. I definitely will never forget this holiday, I am willing to trade the holiday food for my future. I will miss my aqua zumba while recovering from surgery but will be ready to get back in the pool when the doc says it is ok.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Hi Lawana! Good luck to you. The liquid part super sucks, but you'll forget all about it when it's over. Like childbirth. I was pretty lucky considering becauae I only had to do 3 days of pre-op clear liquids. Still, I joked to my husband that by the end of the second day I had acheived total conciousness. LOL And I've never heard of Aqua Zumba but it sounds seriously fun!
  • lawanarae
    Options
    Thanks, Oh it is the best exercise I never thought you could sweat in the water but we get such a workout that by the time we get out the water we are sweating. It is much easier to move in the water and I tried water aerobics and the difference for me was that the instructor in water aerobics was in the water with us and with aqua zumba the instructor is on the side of the pool. It is actually regular zumba (I really enjoy the music and dancing) but we are in the water so less intense on the knees. I go twice a week and after the hour workout we jump right into the hot water (jucuzzi) then a nice hot shower the best thing ever.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Three weeks?!? I wish, lol. I'm so lucky I got to do the liquid diet for 6 weeks. Lucky me. I was right at the end of the three weeks when I got a call from the hospital saying that my surgery had been cancelled! The lady who called me had no idea why (she was just the messenger so I REALLY tried hard not to kill her). I immediately called the surgeon to find out what the heck was going on and he had no idea. Said he would get back to me. By the time he did, it was the next day and I was close to insane. Come to find out, since my BMI was higher than they normally operate on one of the nurses took it upon herself to cancel my surgery! And to make matters worse, she had already given my slot away to someone else!!!! Dr. Richardson was pissed. He informed her that he wouldn't have approved the surgery if HE had a problem with my BMI (I carried a majority of my weight in my legs, and still do, which made my abdomen safer for surgery). Unfortunately, by this time the next surgery date they could get me was 3 weeks down the line. I never did see that nurse again and I for one can't say that I ever missed her, lol.
  • Mom2Cubs
    Options
    So glad my dr didn't require a liquid pre op, just low carb. The one to two weeks afterwards was hard enough! I get to eat food again now. My doctor told me this weekend the stages were just recommendations, not absolutes. go figure.
  • original_mami
    Options
    Hey Lawana glad you found my group ok LOL I'm on a 3 week liquid diet too! I just finished up week 2 and my surg date is 9/9/14. what is going to be really difficult is the 5 days with out any salads starting on the the 4th I can't have any salads that is my ONLY meal I can have right now. Any ideas what I can eat for my 1 meal that is low in fiber other than meat?
  • Mom2Cubs
    Options
    Can you have eggs? Maybe mix half egg with half egg whites? Scrambled, fried, boiled. It will give you protein at least.
  • Jayma375
    Jayma375 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I think I'm the veteran here having my surgery (RNY) on 10/30/2011 so I'm coming up to my 13th anniversary. Like most others here who have already had surgery and even though I had a major complication I wouldn't change a thing, except for gaining some of the weight back. My first year post op I lost 175 pounds but over the past 10 years or so gained back about 100..... A few months back I decided to turn my life back around and get back on track.

There were a lot of factors which added to both the weight gain and also the desire to work on losing it again but I have to say one of the major motivations to sticking with my plan is right here on MFP. It really helps me to log all my food to stay where my doctor wants me - 1300 cal/day and 100+ grams of protein. It is so much easier than other methods I've used in the past (i.e. counting weight watcher points...). The other motivation has been reading message boards for ideas and success stories.

My progress is much slower this time, I've lost 25 pounds in past 4 months. I think after my surgery I was down 100 pounds in that same time. I'm okay with this because I'm heading in the right direction and I do have to say a plus is I don't need to buy new clothes quite as often!!

Best of luck to all of you who are pre-op!!!!
  • original_mami
    Options
    Jayma thank you do much for sharing your story I love to have insight of what my future will bring after surg. We are all very happy to have you Welcome! :)

Moms thank you for some tips that sounds YUMMY! LOl or I'm just REALLY HUNGRY lol is it lunch time yet? :P
  • lawanarae
    Options
    Hello Mami, I am on my liquid diet this week I stocked up on broths, popsicles, jello and I plan on going to the store today to buy some ensure and slimfast. I want to be ready so I am not going to eat anything now yesterday being the holiday I ate, I was not going to log but I figured who am I hiding from. I was supposed to start my liquid diet yesterday, I have to go tomorrow for my final weigh-in. So far so good I am not hungry I warmed a 32 oz chicken broth and put it in a cup with a straw so I am sipping. Now it is only 9:30 in the morning so hopefully this day will go fast and I will be okay. I am determined to follow the instructions from this day forward. Thanks for starting this it came at just the right time. Good luck to you on your surgery I will be praying for you and everyone.
  • lawanarae
    Options
    Hello Jayma, congrats on your anniversary and your continued success. As long as you are losing you are going in the right direction. Life happens but recognizing that we need a change is the key. I like you need to log because it amazes me the amount of calories that are in food.
  • original_mami
    Options
    Lawana Thank you so much for the support. We are not here to judge and everyone has bad days. being on a liquid diet is very hard the first few days but it does get easier some days are harder than others but I promise you it does get better. I'm on week 3 and tomorrow I can't have any salads or vegetables what so ever just protein my only meal I'm allowed to have just got smaller LOL I have been doing Atkins shakes 2 a day a salad for lunch then water, crystal light lemonade decaf tea decaf coffee sipping helps keeping busy I've noticed the busier you are the better to get your mind off food good luck to you remember you are not alone! we are here for you, You can do this!
  • original_mami
    Options
    To the new members who have joined welcome please don't forget to introduce yourself we all would like to hear your unique stories
  • TashTag
    TashTag Posts: 109
    Options
    Hay ladies and gents. My name is Tash and asof friday last week i have been booked in for LAPBAND surgery on 17/11/14. Yay! Lovely to read all your posts and i wish you all well along the way. Your all welcome to add me on MFP (please with a short note) and on Instagram gastric_fan_tash_tic

All the best xxx
  • curvacious_Mama
    curvacious_Mama Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello guys, thanks for making this group and I hope people are still around. I recently had the sleeve, 4 weeks ago. Surgery went well and really have no problems with food or anything. I too was chunky probably since birth. Weight has been a yo yo and I am hoping that ends now.
  • Mom2Cubs
    Options
    Welcome. The group hasn't been active, but I hope it starts up again.