Did You Have To Drink Chaulky Stuff To Get X-Rayed

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
I went in for my informational group meeting and individual Dr/Patient meeting.
We were informed that before being discharged we would have to endure drinking some stuff and then sent off to get x-rayed as a way for them to see that theres no leaks from where the surgery was done.
Has anyone else done this or heard of this?
Can it be consumed using a straw so that youre not having to have it in your mouth?
How bad was it?
I have a bad gag reflex :sick:

Replies

• kchaki
    kchaki Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My husband had VSG in March 2014 and his surgeon required this test. It was the first thing he was allowed to drink. He said it was disgusting, but also that it was a very small amount. I am in the process of RNY with the same surgeon, and like you, I worry about throwing up. But it is another necessary evil on our journey! Hope all is well with you!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    This was by far the most foul smelling/tasting stuff Ive ever had to consume.
    I had 3 x-rays and w/ each 1 I had to take several drinks, it was awful :anguished:
  • kmcguire93
    kmcguire93 Posts: 30 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hey Happy, I had an upper GI done - 2 actually, one before and the one after to see if there leaks - I had to drink some stuff, but it wasn't chaulky, it was clear and was kinda carbonated I believe - hope all is going well with you - I haven't been messaging you and I feel bad - keep us posted on your progress - you'll do GREAT! :smiley:
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    I had an upper GI test done about 6 months before my Sleeve where I was put out and a scope was put down my throat, no big deal!
    It was the drinking of the toxic foul smelling/tasting stuff I had to do after surgery that I was asking about when I 1st posted this :flushed:
  • kmcguire93
    kmcguire93 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing that all surgeon do things differently - I didn't have to do the scope or chaulky stuff for my pre surgery GI - I had to do another kind of white stuff to drink, but it didn't have a smell and I was on a platform, had to turn left, right, straight ahead and then it lies you down and you had to turn from side to side - I was done in about 10 minutes
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I hated drinking that stuff---but better safe than sorry. It is to make sure you do not have any leaks before going home!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    The "chaulky" liquid was how the surgeon explained it.
    It was Not "chaulky!"
    It was oily, slimy, foul smelling/tasting, just plain awful!
    This was only done the day after my surgery as a way to see on X-Ray for leaks.
    I was not required to do anything for my Upper GI surgery, only show up and go to la-la land (procedure took about 15 minutes, coming out of anesthesia took the longest)!
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The "chaulky" stuff is called barium, the hospital should NEVER use this stuff right after surgery because it is not obsorbed into the body and will cause complications if there were a leak in your stomach.
    The clear liquid is mostly called omnipaque, it is iodine based, easily obsorbed by the body and will not harm you if there were to be a leak.
  • MissMissie1987
    MissMissie1987 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thankfully you only have to do a couple of medicine cups full, I am kind of nervous myself for that disgusting stuff
  • lisa2job
    lisa2job Posts: 27
    edited January 2015
    Options
    after surgery i dont remember doing that but she did check me eveyr 3 months then at one year to make sure my New tummy didnt stretch out.... I was just really excited to see the x ray I got to watch it go down and actually see my new stomach...
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    We were told at the seminar that it was "chalky" but when I had my surgery (mid Oct), it was actually very fowl smelling and the taste is hard to explain but it was extremely awful.
    I would say almost greasy and slimy...just disgusting :confounded:
    My test was done the next day which I was not looking forward to all.
    Plug your nose (literally) and aim the straw to the back of your throat so it stays away from your taste buds.
    I have a sensitive gag reflux so it doesn't take much for me to vomit.
    I got upset at the X-ray guy because he told me 2 and then made me do a 3rd which meant drinking more of it.
    Ive watched a couple surgery videos on here (after my surgery) to see what happens and I actually watched someone do a leak test during the procedure!
    Why cant they all just do that instead of making us suffer this way....just gross!