Difficult situation

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
I was at my daughter'sbest friend's house last nite. They don't have very much money, and they fixed dinner for us. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, and it was spaghetti. Full of carbs. So my Blood sugar is up thismorning. What could I have done different?

Replies

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    That is a tough one! I hate pasta so for me, when the family wants spaghetti I always keep the sauce separate and make cauliflower. I put my sauce over that. Not sure what you could do when someone else is cooking.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    That is tough. Smaller portion of noodles, more sauce. More salad if they had that. And definitely a walk after dinner. I'm not sure what else you ate that day but one spaghetti dinner should be okay. It is one of my favorites and I've had to cut it down a lot. I've had spaghetti about 2 times in the last four months. :(
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Well, it was a surprise meal, and no they didn't have anything else. Ishould have gone and bought some salad. But it was sweet of her, and I appreciate the effort.
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It was one time, just get back on the wagon.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    It was one time, just get back on the wagon.
    I definitely am :)
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Maybe it makes me a raging jerk, I dunno. I wouldn't have had the spaghetti. (Or, had what we called in my family as smaller kids, a "no thank you" portion). As cwrig says, however, if it's one time, it's one time.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I don't think there is one right way to handle this situation, and the key really is to do what you feel is best. That might be a different approach for each person, and like so much in diabetes individualization is key. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Well I learned from it, pasta is a big no no for me, really made me spike!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I was at my daughter'sbest friend's house last nite. They don't have very much money, and they fixed dinner for us. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, and it was spaghetti. Full of carbs. So my Blood sugar is up thismorning. What could I have done different?

Sweetie, I'd have eaten it and enjoyed it, but would go right back to my 'regular' diet the following day & all the days that followed. It's only one incidence & provided it doesn't happen every week, you're good :wink:

My mother in law --- I love this woman to pieces. She just doesn't get it :ohwell: and she was a nurse in a hospital for years :blushing: I eat & whatever she puts out, it's only once every 2-3 months or so we go to visit her & we do this.

Nothing drops my blood sugar faster than jumping jacks. I can drop 30-40 mg/dl in about 10 minutes. I go in the bathroom & test after 30 min of eating. I do 20 jumping jacks QUIETLY so I don't sound like I need help in there, then about 30 minutes later, I test again & do more jumping jacks if needed.

I'd read about someone doing this on TuDiabetes.com when I was first diagnosed 2 years ago. All it did for me back then was raise my BG more, but a few months ago I thought I'd try it when I popped a surprise 140 mg/dl 30 minutes after a meal.

I was so surprised it got me back to normal range in about 10 minutes.

Anyhow...hope this helps :wink:
  • milocamolly
    milocamolly Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have learned to always bring a dish that I can eat to share with others. When ever we go to a pot luck or anyone else's house for a meal I usually make sure to have a snack before, drink lots of water and fill my plate mostly with what I have brought. The way I see it is that it is my problem and only my health thats effected so I make sure that I have something to eat.

BTW, I am very new to this lifestyle so for me this is what I have found to work for me so far. Maybe once I become more of a pro I can ease up ;)
  • ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    What she said!
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks for the idea. I just need to be more prepared, I think. We didn't even know we were going to be there that late.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Keep a bunch of fiber pills or chia with you, and eat less spaghetti. It won't take much space in the purse.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    A quick summary for the next time your invited to their place:

Bring a big purse packed with salad, cauliflower, chia seeds and some fiber pills. Try not to act suspicious.
    Don't wear a lot of jewelry because that will make too much noise when you're doing jumping jacks in the bathroom.

I think that about covers it. :laugh:
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options

Bring a big purse packed with salad, cauliflower, chia seeds and some fiber pills. Try not to act suspicious.
    Don't wear a lot of jewelry because that will make too much noise when you're doing jumping jacks in the bathroom.

That is awesome!!! LOL!
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options

Humor >> all. :drinker:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

tumblr_static_jensen_gif5.gif
  • kamaperry
    Options

tumblr_static_jensen_gif5.gif
    Hahahahahaha!