Recipe ideas while on the road

Options
Greetings! I am currently living spoiled right now in Washington with all the vegetarian cuisine options, but I getting reading to go to a school in VA that doesn't have like any options in the city I am going to. Plus I'll be in a hotel for a month with only a microwave and refrigerator. Looking for some suggestions in how to maintain healthy lunch/dinners while I am here. Thanks in advance!! Melissa

Replies

• SunVegan8
    SunVegan8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Greetings:
    Have you considered an electric pressure cooker or a mid sized rice cooker. They travel well and make eating so much easier and less expensive. Look up Chef AJ She has lots of electric pressure cooker recipies, from Straight Kale to soups. I cook unsoaked beans in mine. No fuss, i can make decisions at the last min about what's for dinner. For example, unsoaked garbonzo beans process for about 35 min. Split pea soup in 7 min. I have a book, vegetarian cooking under pressure that has a chart in the back. I usually need to add at least five min and up to ten min for the beans. It's easy to use. Set it and walk away. Can you believe it?
    I also use the rice cooker when traveling. It has worked in any hotel I was staying at. Pasta, quinoa, veggies ---- they all work in a rice cooker. Rice cookers work by detecting the tempurature inside the pot. Water boils at 210 or 211 degrees, I can't remember which one right now. When the water is absorbed in food, meaning, no more free water, the temp of the food goes up, so rice cooker turns it's self off. So, it will boil veggies till you stop it, or it uses all the water in the pot. I often put a grain in it, and when it has 15 min left for that to be done, I add a veggie, canned bean, ect. Taa Daa Dinner.
    I wouldn't underestimate the microwave with potatoes either. Veggies over the spud....with chopped up greens.....well, that's what we had for dinner tonight. Baked potatoes also travel well in the car. I wrap them in foil to cook them (in oven) and just pack them in a cooler bag along with cut up veggies, like zucchini, ect and apples. I think one can purchace veggies cut up already too if you wanted it to be even easier. Spuds do well traveling.
    Wide mouth thermos - can put oats in it with hot water from the coffee pot and 8 to 12 hours later, taa daa..... cooked oats. Slice up a bananna and you've got a meal.
    Well, let me know if you want more ideas. Chef AJ travels all the time and takes all her own food in a travel cooler bag.
    Happy travels to you.