Help, Sudden intolerance to protein purée stage RNY

Options
mlomago19
mlomago19 Posts: 16 Member
Hi all,
I am in week three post op and about two weeks into my purée stage. For the past three days I cannot get protein shakes down without gagging or throwing up. Something about the taste of the protein has become intolerable. I normally do premier or pure protein to get the max benefits per calories, but I've tried five other brands and unflavored powder and get the same reaction. This occurred pretty suddenly as I tried a bunch pre op and had no trouble for the first week or so post op. My nutritionist recommended double milk which gives me 16 g/ cup but has a lot of calories. She also gave me the ok to eat more than three meals to try to get more from food. Right now I'm eating only about 1/4 c each time and only get 15g or so of protein from food even if I eat only Greek yogurt all day. I am not permitted to mix fruits, peanut butter etc. into smoothies on my program, so using that to get a new flavor is out. Any help or ideas would be very welcome. I know there are other kinds of proteins out there. I have only done whey so far. Do they all taste the same?

Replies

• katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You might not be able to mix peanut butter into your yogurt, but PB2 is powdered peanut protein. It adds a lot of peanutty flavor and protein but without the fat and calories of regular peanut butter.

Have you tried mixing vanilla protein powder into greek yogurt? That is good, and some people even think it tastes like cheesecake.

Or how about pureeing hard boiled eggs or canned tuna with a little skim milk or fat free mayo or fat free sour cream?

There is a website that tells you how to turn protein shakes into protein ice cream - http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2008/08/protein-ice-cream.html. I think that changing texture and temperature by freezing might be a good thing to try.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had luck with making chicken soup in the slow cooker, so the chicken was very tender. And then I ran it through a blender. That went down pretty well with lots or protein.
  • lkrenz0307
    lkrenz0307 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did best with egg white protien. It's nearly flavorless and mixes nicely without a chalky texture. I mixed it in everything...pudding, yogurt, soup - it bumps up protein, but not volume.

It's funny how our bodies change. I am just at 3 months post op and have found that my body now rejects chicken. I've tried multiple ways and I get sick everytime. The doctors warned that sometimes your body will react completely different to things that were fine before. There can be quite an adjustment period.