Angry Hips!

Hi All,

I'm on W1D2 of the program and am looking for some advice. Until recently, I lived a completely sedentary lifestyle. I spend most of my daytime hours sitting down, working on a computer and most of my nighttime hours sitting down, working on a vegetative state. I imagine it will come as no surprise when I say: I am extremely out of shape and overweight! About a month and a half ago, I started walking 60-90 minutes a night, 6 nights a week. I don’t walk very fast (3 to 4 mph, depending) and I live in S. Fla where hills are few and far between - so my route isn’t exactly challenging. But considering I’d had no real muscle pain and have experienced only positive physical effects, I decided I was ready to tackle C25K. I may have been mistaken in that belief!

After completing W1D1 I was sore and achy in my hips for the next 2 days and absolutely nothing helped to alleviate the pain. I took an extra day off and walked the next “scheduled” day instead of attempting day 2. Well. Last night I hitched up my britches, shook off the ache and completed day 2. My hips are not happy about it today! Currently, I’m feeling moderately better after icing my hip area, taking 3 ibuprophen and liberally slathering myself in BenGay. Whilst, I abhor the program when I’m in the middle of it, I LOVE it when the day is done. The sense of accomplishment is almost addictive, but I certainly don't want to injury and sideline myself, neither do I want to quit. I do stretch for about 5 mins before and after; I have brand new running shoes; My calves seem to be strong as I feel no ache or pain in them when I run; I do have some pain in the muscles on the outer part of my leg above my ankle, but it’s liveable; I have no previous injuries or illnesses that I’m aware of to keep me from the program; The last time I jogged before this week was, ohhhh, about 20+ years ago

Sorry for the novel I’ve written here, but I’m wondering if anyone has had similar effects/experiences and can offer any suggestions? Success stories? Warnings? Any advice whatsoever will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Sera

Replies

• jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    I had the same trouble in my left hip. In fact I came to this board to write about it :)

As far as I can tell from reading, research and a trip to the chiropractor, it has to do with the "hip girdle". We need to strengthen glutes and the hip flexors/abductors/not quite sure but they're all intertwined! Someone on another conversation recommended this:

http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

Also, from a trip to the chiropractor I learned my pelvis was actually tilted (and worse, torqued so that one side tilted forward and the other one backward). After an adjustment, I ran just fine this morning (I'm on week 4). My chiropractor said just keep moving!

Hope that helps.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    It sounds like something isn't quite right.

How fast do you run?
    You mention your shoes are new, but were they selected for you in a running store?
    How is your running form? Have you seen this yet: http://www.goodformrunning.com/ Do watch the Grant Robinson video, too.

You shouldn't stretch before running.

In general you should feel uncomfortable because running as a newbie is very different from walking, but you shouldn't have outright pain, which is why I asked about the speed and form and shoes. In particular one-sided pain is alarming, because that means you're unevenly stressing the body during running.
  • This is apparently because of low bone density....my sister went to the doctor for this. The best thing you can do to better your bone density is to run! At least you are on the right track.

I started taking Calcium and Magnesium tablets for the same problem and that seems to help.