Terrified I'm going to gain even more weight..

Options
I'm hoping one of you smart ladies can offer some help here.

I'm 49, and somehow I've gained over 30 pounds in less than a year.

This would be bad enough, but I've gained this all since returning to regular, 3 x week gym workouts (cardio, weights, stretching) and watching my diet like a hawk, I stick to Paleo unless I have to eat out (not so often) or I get really busy work-wise (more often).

The trainer I work with had me fill out a month-long food diary, I was taking in about 850 calories a day so he told me to up it to 1200...with much misgiving I did, and hello! an extra 20 pounds! I'm still steadily gaining, and despite starting on a fantastic adrenal support & liver support (which has really helped with my general well-being) I'm now staring to panic.

How on earth can I lose this weight? I'm currently about 245 pounds on a 5'6" frame, I've always struggled with my weight but it seems that now, no matter what I do, eat more, eat less, eat differently, up the exercise, change the type/duration/intensity of the exercise, the only constant is I still gain weight.

My stomach is so fat that I look like I'm 6 months pregnant. With twins. Wish I could say I was kidding, but I'm not.

I'm really getting desperate, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. And tummy too, ugh.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining weight on that few calories...I'd say a visit to the OBGYN and a full set of blood work is a good idea (if you haven't already done that).

While I'm finding it harder to maintain these days, your experience seems extreme to me.

Good luck finding an answer.
  • trudyamandagemma
    Options
    Thanks for your reply.

OB/GYN ordered blood work including thyroid panel, all appears good there, if at the lower end of good.

Kinda at my wit's end here, thinking it's time to see an Endocrinologist.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Mommagrizz has a great blog about our frustrations. And I think she's spot on:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Momma_Grizz/view/menopausal-weight-gain-war-zone-576021
  • trudyamandagemma
    Options
    thanks, that's really interesting & helpful
  • willow2564
    willow2564 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi Trudy,

You said liver support ? have you got problems with your liver?

I got told two years ago by my Dr, that I have the start of a fatty liver, and I also find it very hard to lose weight, can't eat bread or I blow up in the middle area, I have just gone 50 and now put on weight very easy, mine with going through the change and my liver.
    But I am trying again, as I put on 7 lbs over the summer, trying to keep under 1000 cals a day and doing over 10,000 steps a day.

Add me and we could try to lose weight together.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am curious, how do you know if you have a fatty liver? What does the doc check - bloodwork? Thanks!
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Trudy - I am right there with you. I had lost 18 lbs about three years ago and kept if off. Then I suddenly started gaining. It started in January last year. My clothes were getting tighter. By the end of the school year, I could no longer fit in my work pants. I saw my OB/GYN who told me I needed to do cardio. It was frustrating. I told her I'd tried everything - eating 800 calories a day (still gained), cardio, weights - gained with each. For two weeks I ate 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day (measuring everything I ate) and worked out five days a week. I was exhausted & hungry and 5 lbs heavier at the end of the two weeks. What did she tell me? "At your age you need to do cardio."

My regular doctor was much more understanding. I've been seeing her for about 15 years so she knows this weight is not normal for me. She did blood work which showed everything was fine including my thyroid. She can't explain what's going on so she wants me to see an endocrinologist.

My advice (FWIW) is to trust your instincts and see the endocrinologist.
  • Nancy_AZ60
    Nancy_AZ60 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    The weight gain, if not a medical issue, is probably Perimenopaus kicking in. I have gained about 30 pounds took off 20 then 20 back on then down 10 then and now 20 more have JUMPED on ! I am on HRT. They are good for all the other symptoms.

If we ever win the lottery first thing I am would do is to hire a personal dietician and chef. I am figuring out now that I need to be one with my diet and exercise.:flowerforyou:
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I too gained continually in peri-menopause and afterward. I lost it eating low carb and high fat -- Atkins diet, keto etc., over the past year and a half. It works, but I can't go back to eating higher carbs or I will gain it all back. I can maintain on a Paleo type diet, with a bit higher carb from fruits and starchy veggies. I am 57, but feel 10 years younger now!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I too gained continually in peri-menopause and afterward. I lost it eating low carb and high fat -- Atkins diet, keto etc., over the past year and a half. It works, but I can't go back to eating higher carbs or I will gain it all back. I can maintain on a Paleo type diet, with a bit higher carb from fruits and starchy veggies. I am 57, but feel 10 years younger now!
    Chiming in to add I'm keeping most of it at bay (for now) eating lower and slower carb. I eat mostly south beach style. Basically meaning I do eat legumes and some (a few) whole grains.

I do believe, strongly, that it helps me to eat lower and slower carb (much as women with PCOS often do).
  • anglergirl3
    anglergirl3 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies - (I'm 52) - I've been in the same boat for quite a few (at least 10) years. Finally found something that works for me this past July: MFP and increasing my Orange Theory Fitness HIIT programming to 5-days a week religiously. I use the TDEE off of the scooby calculator with a high protein, low- carb macro intake. Also, reducing sodium to 1200 mg. Not that I always stay under 1200, but my goal is to definitely stay under 2300. (This is my personal plan on what is working for me. I'm not a doctor or expert on this by any means.) The scale hasn't moved much, but my body is beginning to morph into a better profile and people are starting to see results. This is very slow moving and I have accepted that. I Have lost 9 of the 30 lbs I would like to shed. Still fighting the good fight. I have also noticed that many successful people on MFP (both men and women) are working out twice a day. Once at the gym, and then by going for a work during lunch or after work. (I myself do not do this - at least yet anyway.) If anyone would like to add me, feel free. Best of luck to all on your journey.
  • Alison423
    Alison423 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have never had a problem losing weight until the last 5 years. I had success in the past with Weight Watchers and kept it off for years. Menopause threw me for a loop! I tried to lose weight and would lose 2 lbs, only to gain it back and then some the following week. I finally started to increase my protein (I drink Premier Protein drinks for breakfast and lunch) and decrease my carbs, particularly SUGAR. That has helped. I also started doing more cardio and some weight training/yoga/Pilates. I absolutely LOVE Pilates! I've gone from 185.6 at my all time high, down to 168 now---with another 15-20 lbs to go. (I'm 5'7"). Progress is slow, but the scale is heading in the right direction. I try to set small goals for myself--for example, I would like to lose 8lbs by Christmas. Biting off small chunks seems to be a more viable goal for me. I wanted to be at goal by the New Year, but a set back on a girls trip to Vegas put that out of reach. It was fun....and worth it! Keep pushing along---you will be successful if you keep trying.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Bumping for the new year.
  • Lynda652017
    Lynda652017 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow - I have experienced much of the same - weight gain started in my late 40s that just would not stop/come off no matter what I did. I spoke with a personal trainer and he told me - that cardio can increase the output of cortisone which is a stress hormone that makes you hang onto weight. He suggested weight training for bone and muscle structure 2-3 x week and yoga 3 x week or other mindfulness meditation to lower stress cortisone. He also told me to not eat at a reduced calorie level every day of the week but that in order to keep your body burning fat, you need to mix it up with maintenance level eating 1-2 days a week (every 3rd or 4th day - not 2 days in a row). I've made an effort to lower my stress levels combined with 1200-1300 calories per day 5 days a week and 1800 calories a day 2 days a week and I've lost 10lbs this past 5 weeks. Menopause is around the corner for me. Good luck - maybe this strategy will work for some of you too. It's only been a little over a month for me so I don't know if it's a long term strategy but so far so good!
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I've packed on 40 pounds and despite my best efforts, cannot seem to shake it.... I am going to the obgyn next month to get some tests.... It is so frustrating!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    I've packed on 40 pounds and despite my best efforts, cannot seem to shake it.... I am going to the obgyn next month to get some tests.... It is so frustrating!!

Good luck! Ask doc about insulin resistance. VERY COMMON in menopause.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    And check thyroid!! Another biggie as we age.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    59 years old, and same story as many have cited... Harder and harder to lose, rebound to even higher weight. Had full lab work up done, thyroid OK, cortisol OK, not insulin resistant or pre diabetes. Vit D very low, cholesterol high (already knew). Started on vit D and estrogen gel. Hope to see some results from diet and exercise over the next month. Doc feels I will, fingers crossed!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    sbom1 wrote: »
    59 years old, and same story as many have cited... Harder and harder to lose, rebound to even higher weight. Had full lab work up done, thyroid OK, cortisol OK, not insulin resistant or pre diabetes. Vit D very low, cholesterol high (already knew). Started on vit D and estrogen gel. Hope to see some results from diet and exercise over the next month. Doc feels I will, fingers crossed!

Good luck! Do you have a uterus?
    Please keep us posted!
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    There is some great advise here!! I am one of the people that did not gain a lot of weight as I went into menopause (very early, at about 42) but instead had the weight I did carry migrate to the most bizarre spots on my body - back fat at the bra line anyone? My goal getting back onto MFP is to mainly get myself in better shape and hopefully lose a few pounds. Has anyone had decent success with lifting? I just started Stronglifts 5x5, so hoping....