Ugh, "Light" doesn't mean I can eat it!

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
Had a "Light" fruit smoothie and my Blood sugar shot up to 195!! No more!

Replies

• amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Especially at a smoothie shop. My daughter works at Robek's and most of the smoothies have lots of carbs even if they say light or low calorie. We have to be careful with those as diabetics. I don't have many, just a sip or two.
  • mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I think the trick is to tell them you are diabetic. I used to go to Smoothy King a lot. I always ask for the Skinny version - it drops the carbs a ton as they leave out the Turbinado (raw sugar). I'm supposed to go there tomorrow with a buddy. I think I'll run a little experiment and test before and at 1 and 2 hours after.
  • amberj32
    Options
    I think the trick is to tell them you are diabetic. I used to go to Smoothy King a lot. I always ask for the Skinny version - it drops the carbs a ton as they leave out the Turbinado (raw sugar). I'm supposed to go there tomorrow with a buddy. I think I'll run a little experiment and test before and at 1 and 2 hours after.

I agree, it is a good idea to tell them you are diabetic but they might not be able to help you. My daughter is good with it because she has me and her grandma that are diabetic. Her work does have the nutrition menu in the store for everyone so you can check the macros and find the best one for you. They also list all the ingredients too or the smoothie maker can sub something or take something out.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks Guys, this was a work thing, and I thought light would be ok, I was wrong. Next time I will specify I'm diabetic. Lesson learned!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I second the suggestions to ask for nutrition information so you can determine the amount of carbohydrate in the smoothie to help you make a decision about what to order. "Lite" or "light" on a food label can mean less sodium, fat or calories but it has nothing to do with carbohydrate content. The American Cancer Society has a good explanation of common label terms here: http://www.cancer.org/healthy/eathealthygetactive/takecontrolofyourweight/understanding-food-labels ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    I second the suggestions to ask for nutrition information so you can determine the amount of carbohydrate in the smoothie to help you make a decision about what to order. "Lite" or "light" on a food label can mean less sodium, fat or calories but it has nothing to do with carbohydrate content. The American Cancer Society has a good explanation of common label terms here: http://www.cancer.org/healthy/eathealthygetactive/takecontrolofyourweight/understanding-food-labels ~Lynn /Glucerna
    Awesome, thank you
  • mrron2u
    Options
    So I did a little experiment today. I went to Smoothie King with my buddy for lunch. Beforehand I did some online research to find the right smootie for me.

Chose the Skinny High Protein Almond Mocha smoothie and got it in the large size as this was my whole meal.

The Numbers:
    532 Calories
    18g Fat
    38g Carbs
    60g Protein

BS readings:
    Right before 1st sip - 94
    1 hour after 1st sip - 83
    2 hours after 1st sip - 100

I did notice that there are very few options that are that low in carbs. Most are way up there - like over 100g carbs. The one I used to get was the Peanut Power Plus Strawberry and a large one of those was 224g carbs! Even the skinny version is 132g carbs!
  • amberj32
    Options
    So I did a little experiment today. I went to Smoothie King with my buddy for lunch. Beforehand I did some online research to find the right smootie for me.

Chose the Skinny High Protein Almond Mocha smoothie and got it in the large size as this was my whole meal.

The Numbers:
    532 Calories
    18g Fat
    38g Carbs
    60g Protein

BS readings:
    Right before 1st sip - 94
    1 hour after 1st sip - 83
    2 hours after 1st sip - 100

I did notice that there are very few options that are that low in carbs. Most are way up there - like over 100g carbs. The one I used to get was the Peanut Power Plus Strawberry and a large one of those was 224g carbs! Even the skinny version is 132g carbs!

Interesting how your sugar dipped to 83 one hour after 1st sip. 100 isn't too bad for 2 hours after either.
  • mrron2u
    Options
    I know right?!?! I wonder if all that protein helped. Now I gotta watch the protein for the rest of the day. Too much for the day!
  • amberj32
    Options
    I know right?!?! I wonder if all that protein helped. Now I gotta watch the protein for the rest of the day. Too much for the day!

I need to work on getting more protein. I wonder if my daughter can make me something like this at work? What are the ingredients of the Skinny High Protein Almond Mocha smoothie?
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It shows that knowledge really does equal power, doesn't it? ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It shows that knowledge really does equal power, doesn't it? ~Lynn /Glucerna
    Amen!
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic, Kamaperry and your experiment, mrron2u. I just brought home stuff to make homegrown smoothies and will now take a closer look to make sure.

I've been resigned to not having these types of desserts out. :sad:
  • kamaperry
    Options
    No more for me too:cry: