Stress Eating

Options
I'm feeling frustrated at the moment because I'm getting stressed due to work and the people in it and whenever I do, I immediately turn to my comfort food which is, at the moment, a craving for milk chocolate covered peanuts. I picked up two bags yesterday but I'm still under my calorie intake, which is good but obviously it's bad that I'm turning to them to relieve stress.

I normally listen to music when I feel stressed or feel that craving but obviously, I can't do that at work. What do you guys do?

Replies

• danielletogether4health
    Options
    I created a Pinterest of things to do for comfort ... Because I find it really hard to remember to do these things in the middle of a binge. In thinking about it most of the things such as reading, having a latte and a walk on the beach aren't exactly things I can do at work. How about a mini break of tensing and relaxing your muscles, a quick water cooler conversation with someone or a quick visit to a favorite web site for a laugh or inspiration such as googling 101 things to do to stop a binge. Do you work at a desk or are you doing a lot of stressful people work?
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Deal with the problem. If you are stressed at work, and the people there you need to resolve the whole problem of work and the people there.

I suggest you go and talk to a councillor about it asap.

I also go and talk to a councillor when i have stress i can't resolve on my own.

Its natural to respond to stress by eating carbs. Accept that and get a grip on your stress.
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Stress, stress, stress. Just when I think I've got it under control, WHAM! something comes along and knocks me back on my behind.

I've been using distraction to deal w/my stress and emotional eating. Anything that is a distraction at the time you need to be distracted is worth a try. My top favs: Mah Jong, checking in w/friends or in forums on MFP, talking on the phone w/family or friends, getting away from the stressor(s), even if it means stepping outside of your office bldg. for a few deep breaths. You have to figure out what works for you, but when you do, it's well worth the wait.

As for picking up bags of your favorite comfort foods, I make sure I have low cal, low carb/sugar treats around. For example: 94% fat free butter popcorn, chocolate popcorn cakes, frozen fruit w/Redi Whip. All of these taste delicious and don't ruin an otherwise good day.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Try exercise. If at work, can you get away for a 10- or 15-minute walk? I would suggest a relaxation apps but that requires listening to headphones and it sounds like that's not possible at work. Listening to ocean waves is very calming to me but those apps have a ton of sounds so it's whatever works for you. However if you can't have background sounds at work that's not an option for you.

Try to avoid caffeine...it only makes stress worse for many people. If all else fails maybe try having healthy snacks handy. I have no self control with chocolate covered peanuts so I feel your pain! :)
  • big_soul
    Options
    Deal with the problem. If you are stressed at work, and the people there you need to resolve the whole problem of work and the people there.

I suggest you go and talk to a councillor about it asap.

I also go and talk to a councillor when i have stress i can't resolve on my own.

Its natural to respond to stress by eating carbs. Accept that and get a grip on your stress.

Yeah, I agree with this! When I face a problem head on, I feel better. It's not an option for everyone, but I recently left a horrible job that left me feeling totally crushed and drained everyday. I'm in a waaay healthier environment now and already feel a lot better about my stress level. But stress can be a real challenge. Don't underestimate the power it may have over you and definitely try to deal with it head on by looking into the following things:

- Find a resolution to your workplace stress by addressing it directly with the people causing problems, or if that feels uncomfortable, by talking to your HR representative.
    - Take comfort in deep breathing - here is a great article about yoga in the workplace. http://www.businessinsider.com/ways-yoga-can-help-you-during-meetings-2014-9
    - Find a new job if you can't make headway with the resources available to you at your current job.

I know what it feels like to be stuck in a crappy job! I wish you lots of success, and if you decide to move on, PM me - I can help you with your resume and interviewing skills. :) Feel better soon and be well! Remember to be extra nice to yourself since people at work aren't doing it.
  • big_soul
    Options
    Oh and I meant to also say - EXCELLENT WORK on staying under your calorie goal despite being stressed! Very proud of you. That's no small feat. Don't forget to celebrate your successes. :)