Tips for starting the Couch to 5K

Forest91
Forest91 Posts: 1,203 Member
I don't know if there is a post for this but I am going to be starting the Couch to 5K program next week and I was wondering if anybody who is doing it or has finished it can give me some tips on how to start on the right foot and how to stay focused to see it to the end. Any help will be most welcome. Thank you.

Replies

• Start out slow. Like, so slow that it feels like a turtle could pass you by if it tried real hard. And when you think you can't finish an interval, realize that's just your head talking. You CAN do it!
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Start out slow. Like, so slow that it feels like a turtle could pass you by if it tried real hard. And when you think you can't finish an interval, realize that's just your head talking. You CAN do it!

I agree with this. Last year I made it to week 4 day 3 before getting side tracked. I was averaging 9:30 a mile then, but today I did the same run in 11:15. The good thing is that I'm not dreading doing week 5 day 1 because I'm just getting out there and running at a pace I can handle.

If you have to miss some time I would suggest getting right back to the next scheduled day if it's only been a week or so. If that's too hard bump down to the previous workout, but just get out and run again.

If you are struggling during a run, break it up into small bite size pieces by focusing on an object in the distance and running to it. Repeat as necessary. Today I ran from tree to tree for about half the run. Light poles work good if you run in a residential area.

If you have a smart phone use a c25k app. Then you just run or walk til the app announces you need to change pace. They can also log your workout right into the my fitnesspal app/account. I use the run double app, but there are others out there.

There is a ton of great info here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Welcome! Why don't you read all the sticky topics with the red push pin next to the title in this group, too? They are up on top for quick access and nearly everything a newbie could think to ask for has already been answered in them. There's plenty of valuable information in there.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    how to start on the right foot

It doesn't really matter which foot you start on, just remember to alternate them throughout the session :)
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Been stated in many other threads, but if you're beginning on a treadmill with plans to move outside after a while, set the incline to 1-2% which makes changing to outdoors a lot easier.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Been stated in many other threads, but if you're beginning on a treadmill with plans to move outside after a while, set the incline to 1-2% which makes changing to outdoors a lot easier.

Alternatively, don't torture yourself with a dreadmill in the first place and just go out and run in the real :)
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Don't be afraid to repeat. I've had trouble with W1D1, W4D2, and W5D3. I'm still going strong. I also did this a bit backwards and did my first 5K in week 1. My 5Ks keep me going. I also have to remember to breathe in through the nose out through the mouth. Running shoes and bra are next on my list. I've already upgraded from cotton to real running clothes. I also use music. I tend to run at night on a treadmill, because I run out of excuses at that point. I do prefer running outside, but I like the pace, availability, & flat surface of the treadmill. I also don't have any idea how people run without music. Also, don't forget cross training and stretching and always take a day between runs when starting out.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member

Alternatively, don't torture yourself with a dreadmill in the first place and just go out and run in the real :)

Now that I've been running outside, other than a 5 minute warmup on strength training days, the only time I ever use a treadmill is when weather forces me inside.