Squats with dumbbells and deadlift form

Options
hmrambling
hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
I am working on stronglift 5x5. At my gym, I have to use dumbbells for anything over 60 lbs. we only have barbells in the increments of 20, 30, 40, 50, and 60 lbs. so I am using dumbbells for my squats and deadlifts. I dropped the deadlift weight to 60 so I could use the barbell so y'all could check my form.

Today I left my windows down in my car and it rained. My gym bag was soaking wet, and my workout clothes were too. Upon arriving at the gym and opening my gym bag I realized that I packed two SHIRTS this morning instead of a shirt and a pair of shorts. So I recorded myself to check the form in wet clothes.... And in jeans. Yup, jeans in the gym. (My car seat was wet from the window being left down. I swear I did not piss my jeans. Ugh)

Okay, squats with dumbbells and deadlift with a barbell. Please check my form.

http://tinypic.com/r/ddjceg/8

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Well the deadlift is all off, but that's because preloaded bars start you off way too close to the floor so you're sort of doomed before you even start. The squat isn't hitting depth. Maybe try a goblet squat? You can youtube for videos.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I think the jeans are restricting your ability to bend at the knees, so your back is arched instead of being neutral. It also helps to look at a fixed point ahead of you, not head down.

http://starfactoryfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/deadlift-technique-rounding-the-back-neutral-spine.jpg
  • hmrambling
    Options
    All we have at the gym are these preloaded bars and dumbbells..... And the Smith machine. :/

I'll try to get another video without the jeans. I don't usually work put in jeans. I didn't want to not work out due to not having shorts. If my form is the same with shorts, then the jeans are not the problem. Lol. I'll check out the links. Thanks.
  • hmrambling
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. I have been working on my form since your feedback, and I have switched gyms so that I can actually work with an Olympic barbell and kettlebells. My former gym had neither.

I met with a trainer yesterday. He evaluated my form for Stronglift 5x5. I have new game plan for now.
    1. Activate glutes with bridges. (sleeping booty)
    2. OHP with 15 goblet each arm.
    3. Goblet squats
    4. Stand against wall, step away one step to set up form for deadlift and standing row with my hips behind me.

He said my form looks good for the standing row and deadlift *at first*. After a few reps, I round my back. So we are working on the basics before I get the barbell back.